How heavy should I buy my arrows?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How heavy should I buy my arrows?

So my brother and I are getting into archery hunting for deer I have a 45# bow and he has a 50# bow. I know these are fairly light poundage bows and I've been trying to do some research about arrows and know that momentum is key to penetration, but I can't figure how heavy my arrows need to be. I've heard micro diameters arrows help penetration?? We don't want to buy super expensive arrows until deer season gets closer next year, we just want some arrows for practicing. Any advice and tips would be greatly appreciated.

You did not give info as type of bows; traditional or compound. If traditional, arrows need to be spined 5 pounds heavier than bow weifgt. A 45# bow would require a 50# arrow spine. The weight of the arrow itself in grains should not be too light as a light weight arrow, though maybe faster in speed will not penetrate as well as a heavier arrow. If you are inquiring about compound bows, I am afraid I have no info for you !

Comment

As bowhunter75 says, you do not give enough information. Type of bow, draw length, and broad head will be some variables. Research on internet for arrow spine charts.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget