How heavy should I buy my arrows?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How heavy should I buy my arrows?

So my brother and I are getting into archery hunting for deer I have a 45# bow and he has a 50# bow. I know these are fairly light poundage bows and I've been trying to do some research about arrows and know that momentum is key to penetration, but I can't figure how heavy my arrows need to be. I've heard micro diameters arrows help penetration?? We don't want to buy super expensive arrows until deer season gets closer next year, we just want some arrows for practicing. Any advice and tips would be greatly appreciated.

You did not give info as type of bows; traditional or compound. If traditional, arrows need to be spined 5 pounds heavier than bow weifgt. A 45# bow would require a 50# arrow spine. The weight of the arrow itself in grains should not be too light as a light weight arrow, though maybe faster in speed will not penetrate as well as a heavier arrow. If you are inquiring about compound bows, I am afraid I have no info for you !

Comment

As bowhunter75 says, you do not give enough information. Type of bow, draw length, and broad head will be some variables. Research on internet for arrow spine charts.

Comment

Just built up some Goldtip 340's.
        30.5" long, 125gr tip w reg aluminum inserts........and 50gr brass weight added behind insert.
        Should be around 480gr, and maybe 17% or a little more, FOC.
        Not heavy, not light.
        Have used same weight stuff to blow through deer w cut on contact heads from 55# recurves.

Its not just FOC or overall weight (momentum)............its also quality of arrow flight, type of head and sharpness.

I tried some 300's w 200gr tips and they were too slow for my liking.
        While heavy arrows tend to be more quiet, I'd like em to get to the critter kinda quick.

Like everything, it's a balancing act.

Noise Speed Penetration

While some systems may be way higher in one regard, at what cost to the others?

I'm not going to shoot telephone poles at spitting distance and tolerate the deer getting punched through the arse because they took 2 steps before the arrow got there.

IMHO a medium weight arrow, at medium speed, w a cut on contact from a tuned bow..........ought to be decent in everything.
        Has worked fine for me for years.

Wheels or trad.

Never was a fan of speed speed speed. Even when I shot 3D I ran hunting weight setups.
        Its more gentle on the bow and accessories.

Comment

I wouldn't consider any arrows until you weigh at least 150 pounds! 😀!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Gear overload?
            by fitch270
            I’ve been thinking about this since my gun show post over on F&S. May have to cross post for more feed back but in the spirit of our earlier discussion...
            Yesterday, 09:26 PM
          • 7mm-08 range time
            by dewman
            Almost sold this one because I couldn't get it under about 2". Then sitting at home I thought hmm, I've only been using 120gr because I have mostly...
            Yesterday, 08:18 PM
          • Cool gift
            by fitch270
            At work today I was given this hand made slate call from one of my accounts. He’s a retired butcher, outdoorsman and former baseball coach. He also...
            09-21-2021, 07:40 PM
          • Two 1911 Dominators Hunting Prep-Steel out to 500 yards with videos
            by Ernie

On Friday I went out to Mac's Gunworks to zero and get some drops out to 500 yards with my two Pachmayr Dominator's. These both have long eye pistol...
            09-19-2021, 09:18 AM
          • Turn out the lights
            by fitch270
            Elvis has left the building.
            09-17-2021, 07:58 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X