Broadhead of choice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broadhead of choice

I know this has been asked before, just curious to see how opinions have changed over time. For all you archery hunters out there, what broad head do you currently use and how does it compare to others you have tried? Do you have different preferences for different game species? What do you personally like to see in a head you spend your money on?

I started out with Bear broadheads in the late '60's. Moved up to 3 blade Wasp and thought they were great. Still use the Wasp in 3 and 4 blade and never felt I needed more for whitetail.

Comment

Since I am shooting wood arrows out of my recurve, I am somewhat limited in choice of broadheads used. Am presently shooting the 100 grain 3 blade Snuffer for deer. These need to be resharpened as they are a fixed blade, look very similar to the 100 grain Montec. I know several guys prefer a two blade head for penetration but I don’t like the fact of a slit cut due to less blood for trailing. There is a much better blood loss with a 3 blade cut. In the past I used a two blade with two smaller bleeder blades, these were a fixed blade with a 1 1/4” cut, shot 5 elk with those, but they were later discountinued to be produced. I like the looks of the Blur head that Pighunter uses, very similar to the Snuffer, only they are not made for wood arrow use. An adapter can be placed on wood arrows which allows screw in heads, but these add weight and are not considered by traditional shooters to be in the traditional sense !

Comment

Boy, haven't taken an archery deer in several years! LOL!
        My OFS won't allow the use of mechanical broadheads.
        Actually despised the "razor" insert blades.
        I used "Bodkin" 3 blade, fixed heads for years until I couldn't find them. Then moved to the Montec G5. Until they're discontinued, that's what I'll use.

Comment

I started using deep 6 rage hypodermics on easton injexions last year. I took one small doe and that combo worked well. She fell within sight and both the arrow and broadhead survived. It's too early to draw many conclusions but I'm cautiously optimistic.

I used the 100 gr muzzy 3 blades on gold tip hunter 5575s for many year before that. There were several years that I struggled to get them to shoot well although I didn't know much about tuning bows back then. They got the job done but there are better designs.

I have only hunted whitetail with a bow but I would definitely switch to a different broadhead for other species.

Comment

I use 125 grain G5 Montec. I look for penetrability, durability and accuracy. They fly well, but I always sight in with practice blades. I had two pass thru animals last fall, at about 30 yards. Both just needed a little sharpening and were good as new. So far, they have been great. Draw weight is about 60 pounds. I had tried the muzzy trocar hybrid the year before, and it failed to get pass thru on a buck at 25 yards. The deer dropped in sight, but I really would prefer a pass thru too.

Comment

My mental filter first saw that as Redhead of Choice.

Comment

Muzzy. They go together easy and stay that way.

Comment

Originally posted by jcarlin View Post
                  My mental filter first saw that as Redhead of Choice.
                  My Mother, three aunts and my biological sister are redheads, as am I.
                  Not for me thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by bowhunter75richard View Post
                    Since I am shooting wood arrows out of my recurve, I am somewhat limited in choice of broadheads used. Am presently shooting the 100 grain 3 blade Snuffer for deer. These need to be resharpened as they are a fixed blade, look very similar to the 100 grain Montec. I know several guys prefer a two blade head for penetration but I don’t like the fact of a slit cut due to less blood for trailing. There is a much better blood loss with a 3 blade cut. In the past I used a two blade with two smaller bleeder blades, these were a fixed blade with a 1 1/4” cut, shot 5 elk with those, but they were later discountinued to be produced. I like the looks of the Blur head that Pighunter uses, very similar to the Snuffer, only they are not made for wood arrow use. An adapter can be placed on wood arrows which allows screw in heads, but these add weight and are not considered by traditional shooters to be in the traditional sense !
                    Thanks Outlaw ! I am probably the only traditional shooter on the site. You fellow gun hunters have much to talk about with others and I know that gives you much enjoyment. I miss that being the only one who talks traditional hunting and having no one else to get information from. I would be interested as to why I was reported ! Maybe because I used the term “screw “ in heads ?

Comment

I’ve tried several different types: NAP Bloodrunners, Spitfires and Hellrazor, G5 Montec, Muzzy MX3 and Phantom, and Rage. The Hellrazors never went into an animal. The rest all did pretty well with each having it’s own pros and cons.

Comment

I enjoy hearing you talk about traditional hunting! I have a recurve and can now consistently hit a paper plate at 15yards but that’s about the extent of it. If I can get a little more proficient out to that range over the summer I’m going to try to take it hunting for the first time this fall.

Comment

Outlaw, you make me happy ! I hope you are able to extend your range to 20 yards and do so accurately and consistently. I would not advise anyone to hunt traditionally unless they are able to be confident to at least 20 yards. In order to do so it will require practice time almost daily. My practice involved shooting up to 100 arrows a day for several years, the bow was in my hand mornings and afternoons and felt as though it was a part of me. If I can be of any help to you in any way, please ask !

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget