Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I recently committed to building the kids an elevated playhouse along the creek behind the house. It's built up to the 8'x8' platform now, but the next step is the superstructure framing.As this is located within 15 yards of my current 2 man stand a

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by huntfishtrap View Post
    Personally, unless you really need it to be 7' high for some reason, I'd build it shorter, and plan to take any shot sitting down. That will reduce the amount of material you need, and also let you get by with smaller windows. I'd build it an inch or so higher than your standing height, just to avoid bumping your head. As for windows, I'd go with one horizontal window in the middle of each side (except the side with the door), and two vertical windows, one on each side of the horizontal. I would make the horizontal ones maybe 12"X42" or so. The verticals would be about 8"X36", and make sure you place them low enough so that you can shoot something right in front of the blind. They'll have to go down almost all the way to the floor if you're sitting. You should err on the low side when placing the horizontal windows too, because in my experience with shooting out of enclosed blinds, you almost always run out of room on the bottom rather than the top.
    @jcarlin,
    Maybe you should dig yourself a grave while you're out there. I am willing to joke about pretty much anything, but peoples wives and girlfriends I usually steer clear of. Gotta follow the man code. As far as the windows go I really would not worry about them being too big. They can always be partially covered. We're talking about wood...things are not set in stone.

Comment

Personally, unless you really need it to be 7' high for some reason, I'd build it shorter, and plan to take any shot sitting down. That will reduce the amount of material you need, and also let you get by with smaller windows. I'd build it an inch or so higher than your standing height, just to avoid bumping your head. As for windows, I'd go with one horizontal window in the middle of each side (except the side with the door), and two vertical windows, one on each side of the horizontal. I would make the horizontal ones maybe 12"X42" or so. The verticals would be about 8"X36", and make sure you place them low enough so that you can shoot something right in front of the blind. They'll have to go down almost all the way to the floor if you're sitting. You should err on the low side when placing the horizontal windows too, because in my experience with shooting out of enclosed blinds, you almost always run out of room on the bottom rather than the top.
      JM, The wife is awesome, looking good, and she knows how I feel about both. She'd laugh, then hit me, then smile and shake her head.

You're right on the windows, but I don't want to revisit the framing if I really don't have to. I've got real work that needs doing and only so much time I'm willing to spend on this. Odds are once I haul the tools back up to the house, I'm not revisiting it.

Comment

As a follow up JM, I wouldn't have commented on another's lady either.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Mansion on fire.
          by 99explorer
          One of Jeffrey Epstein's mansions is on fire.
          It has three main rooms. One is full of money in cash, another contains valuable paintings, and the...
          Today, 10:04 AM
        • Firing squad.
          by 99explorer
          A man is shot by 12 members of a firing squad, and the squad officer administers the coup de grace with a bullet to the head.
          This final shot does...
          Yesterday, 09:07 PM
        • Lost in the woods.
          by 99explorer
          You are lost in the woods and come to a fork in the road.
          One path leads to civilization and the other will get you lost forever.
          Two Indians...
          Yesterday, 01:24 PM
        • Books on a shelf.
          by 99explorer
          There are several books on a bookshelf.
          If one book is fourth from the left and sixth from the right, how many books are on the shelf?
          08-21-2019, 02:19 PM
        • Mental arithmetic.
          by 99explorer
          A bat and a ball cost $1.10.
          The bat costs one dollar more than the ball.
          How much does the ball cost?
          08-21-2019, 11:57 AM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X