Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I recently committed to building the kids an elevated playhouse along the creek behind the house. It's built up to the 8'x8' platform now, but the next step is the superstructure framing.As this is located within 15 yards of my current 2 man stand a

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I recently committed to building the kids an elevated playhouse along the creek behind the house. It's built up to the 8'x8' platform now, but the next step is the superstructure framing.As this is located within 15 yards of my current 2 man stand a

I recently committed to building the kids an elevated playhouse along the creek behind the house. It's built up to the 8'x8' platform now, but the next step is the superstructure framing. As this is located within 15 yards of my current 2 man stand and frankly in a spot where I'd have rather had a stand, but no suitable tree was present... it's going to be dual use in the fall and winter. So.. anyone who has shot archery out of a fully enclosed stand. Any suggestions on minimum heights and window dimensions? I think with my bow 7' in height of structure is more than sufficient but I'll take any suggestions and am worried about problems encountered with angles and downward shooting. Building a full sized mockup.. just isn't going to happen.

jcarlin,

I built a 8x6 box blind two years ago on top of a 10'high platform. Our windows are 30" high and were primarily for my friend who hunts with a crossbow or shotgun, and work great for that. I shoot a compound and find that my shots have to be 15 yards out, or I can't get the downward angle without hitting the wall. My suggestion would be to add some vertical windows that go from the floor up to about 40", which will allow you to shoot much closer. The windows do not need to be very large, we made ours 16x40", and that's too tall really. For horizontal windows I wouldn't do more than 10" next time, and for vertical windows I'd probably only do about 6 or 8" wide.

Good luck. My buddy loves to hunt out of it. I still prefer a tree stand, but it's nice to sit with a friend or the kids a couple times a year.

Jake

Comment

Jcarlin...you can do a mock setup easier than you think. If you have an old sheet or blanket hang it up to the right height and cut holes in it similar to a window.

Comment

Personally, unless you really need it to be 7' high for some reason, I'd build it shorter, and plan to take any shot sitting down. That will reduce the amount of material you need, and also let you get by with smaller windows. I'd build it an inch or so higher than your standing height, just to avoid bumping your head. As for windows, I'd go with one horizontal window in the middle of each side (except the side with the door), and two vertical windows, one on each side of the horizontal. I would make the horizontal ones maybe 12"X42" or so. The verticals would be about 8"X36", and make sure you place them low enough so that you can shoot something right in front of the blind. They'll have to go down almost all the way to the floor if you're sitting. You should err on the low side when placing the horizontal windows too, because in my experience with shooting out of enclosed blinds, you almost always run out of room on the bottom rather than the top.

Comment

Originally posted by JM View Post
          Jcarlin...you can do a mock setup easier than you think. If you have an old sheet or blanket hang it up to the right height and cut holes in it similar to a window.
          That's actually a great idea. I'll have to keep that in mind myself.

Comment

Originally posted by JM View Post
            You know.. that sounds brilliant, of course I think it's coming from the perspective of me, an idiot, but great idea.

Comment

Originally posted by jacobOhio View Post
              jcarlin,

I built a 8x6 box blind two years ago on top of a 10'high platform. Our windows are 30" high and were primarily for my friend who hunts with a crossbow or shotgun, and work great for that. I shoot a compound and find that my shots have to be 15 yards out, or I can't get the downward angle without hitting the wall. My suggestion would be to add some vertical windows that go from the floor up to about 40", which will allow you to shoot much closer. The windows do not need to be very large, we made ours 16x40", and that's too tall really. For horizontal windows I wouldn't do more than 10" next time, and for vertical windows I'd probably only do about 6 or 8" wide.

Good luck. My buddy loves to hunt out of it. I still prefer a tree stand, but it's nice to sit with a friend or the kids a couple times a year.

Jake
              Thanks Jacob,
              Hmm. I may shutter and latch some lower segments to allow for a better downward angle. This does address my concern though. The other consideration is kids.
              And this isn't just me. Middle kid might be rocking a crossbow this fall, but will absolutely be sitting with a .22 and a penchant for squirrels a few days.
              I'm totally doing it for the kids... riiiight.

Comment

Originally posted by huntfishtrap View Post
                Personally, unless you really need it to be 7' high for some reason, I'd build it shorter, and plan to take any shot sitting down. That will reduce the amount of material you need, and also let you get by with smaller windows. I'd build it an inch or so higher than your standing height, just to avoid bumping your head. As for windows, I'd go with one horizontal window in the middle of each side (except the side with the door), and two vertical windows, one on each side of the horizontal. I would make the horizontal ones maybe 12"X42" or so. The verticals would be about 8"X36", and make sure you place them low enough so that you can shoot something right in front of the blind. They'll have to go down almost all the way to the floor if you're sitting. You should err on the low side when placing the horizontal windows too, because in my experience with shooting out of enclosed blinds, you almost always run out of room on the bottom rather than the top.
                I think I'm going taller because of it's theoretically primary uses as a kids tree fort... but a bow is the driving constraint. I was looking at it peaked from 7' to 5' over the 8' depth, then just put some corrugated roofing down.
                Everyone's low arrow slittish window dimension comments are making a lot of sense. Now I need to make that happen.
                Kids have my wife talked into grand plans of the occasional sleepout back there. So size is a consideration. Big woman, the wife.

Comment

If you want to make it taller, go for it. I was just trying to save you some work, lol. I can't see any disadvantages to making it larger, within reason. Purely from a hunting standpoint, I don't know if I would make a peaked roof. You don't want to be thinking about where you're sitting or standing in relation to the slant/height of the roof at the moment a deer walks in front of you. But a peak definitely holds the advantage in terms of weather resistance and durability, so I guess it's up to you. Those window dimensions I threw out there were just some rough calculations I did off the top of my head. So I would consider them a general guide more than anything. It's not rocket science. I wish you luck with those sleepouts. When I was a kid they generally ended with everyone running back into the house in terror because someone heard a stick snap, and then someone else starting talking about bigfoot. Or bears. Or wolves.
                  I'd like to see this project when you have it completed, you should post some photos.

Comment

No comments on my large wife? Man. I hope she never reads this. She'd laugh. Then punch me. With her giant fists.

My kids camp and have backpacked on occasion, I don't think the yard holds much terror, but you never know.
                    I didn't mean to peak the roof, misspoke, just have it pitched. You do have me thinking that I'll flatten that pitch down to 1':8' and keep it 6' tall min.. or minimize the cutting and go 6'-8'.

I am having mild concerns with the windows. Bringing them close to the floor makes a lot of sense.. except my neighbors kids and a lot of my nieces and nephews are younger than my kids. Window dives are a concern. That might lead to a dutch door window design.

Comment

Maybe a murder hole in the floor and plant clover directly underneath...

Comment

Nope, not going to touch that one with a 10' pole. I'd be afraid she would come beat me up after she was done with you! A pitched roof makes a lot of sense, given the fact that you occasionally get large quantities of snow. I think 7' down to 6' would work well, and provide plenty of clearance. Unless your nieces and nephews and your neighbor's kids are fairly skinny, I would think 8" vertical windows would be safe. Could even take them down to 6" probably, if you're worried. Otherwise, that dutch door idea is a good option as well. I've always liked that kind of design. Actually, now that I think about it, having some type of option for closing the windows might not be a bad idea anyway, to keep the elements and unwanted animals and birds out. You could make wood shutters, or you could go with hinged plexiglass panels on the inside, like the commercial box blinds have. In a pinch you could even just go with sheets of old carpeting or a similar material, held in place with hook-and-eyes. I'd vote for the plexiglass myself, if it's in the budget.
                        A murder hole would definitely save some steps; you could just pour boiling oil down on the deer, and presto! - deep-fried venison.

Comment

She's a terror. Awful woman.
                          I think after considering everyone's suggestions I'm going hybrid with T or inverted U (flat bottomed) shape.
                          Give me large window for the kids to look out over (son was sitting up on the bare platform just staring over the creek when I came home the other night) but then I can open a vertical 13" slit or two between studs to the floor to provide the downward angles on a hunt.
                          I'll have to draw it all up to see how I like it. Luckily been drawing plans all my adult life.

Comment

Just wanted to thank everyone for their input. It really has altered my thinking, and to the benefit of the project.

Comment

Having a hard time picturing what you mean by a T shape, but I'm sure you've got it under control. Another side-benefit to keeping the windows low that I just thought about is that they'll be easier for the kids to see out of.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Pieces of gold.
                                by 99explorer
                                Which is worth more, a pound of $10 gold pieces, or half a pound of $20 gold pieces?
                                Yesterday, 06:45 PM
                              • Mansion on fire.
                                by 99explorer
                                One of Jeffrey Epstein's mansions is on fire.
                                It has three main rooms. One is full of money in cash, another contains valuable paintings, and the...
                                Yesterday, 10:04 AM
                              • Firing squad.
                                by 99explorer
                                A man is shot by 12 members of a firing squad, and the squad officer administers the coup de grace with a bullet to the head.
                                This final shot does...
                                08-22-2019, 09:07 PM
                              • Lost in the woods.
                                by 99explorer
                                You are lost in the woods and come to a fork in the road.
                                One path leads to civilization and the other will get you lost forever.
                                Two Indians...
                                08-22-2019, 01:24 PM
                              • Books on a shelf.
                                by 99explorer
                                There are several books on a bookshelf.
                                If one book is fourth from the left and sixth from the right, how many books are on the shelf?
                                08-21-2019, 02:19 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X