Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cross training with traditional and compound bows. I've taken two deer with my compound this past week (I'll keep saying it because I'm coming off a two year slump) and in replaying the shots in my head something has jumped out at me. I rose, drew,

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jcarlin View Post
    Just for the record, I still don't trust myself with the recurve enough to hunt with it.
    All that being said, I still don't really agree with a need for certification. Partly it's because you should trust adults to judge for themselves, partly because the world doesn't need more regulation.

Comment

Just for the record, I still don't trust myself with the recurve enough to hunt with it.
      To me the practice of either benefits the muscle control and hand eye coordination. I shoot instinct and used to practice all year. In N.Y. you need a license endorsement for archery which is a mandatory day of lecture and also shooting at a target - I think it was 25yds if I remember. Don't know if that is still a requirement but I think if it is it's a good idea.

Comment

Fair enough. I admit, there are "idiots among us"(One of my favorite series of Hurteau articles btw if no one had ever come across them). I just hate when it causes more hoops for the rest of us, assuming I'm the rest of us.

Comment

Are you calling 'traditional' a recurve or is it a long bow?

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post
            I'm using a recurve. I don't own a self-bow.
            Can't say I'm much of a purist and if I have to hand in my card, so be it.

Comment

Yes I think it does. I learned with a recurve and instinctive sighting. And the got an old compound with a peep but it had pins. And I got very good with it. When I finally grew up and bought a bow with a peep I had to learn how to shoot again. The instinctive method makes you focus on your anchor point and I think there's less to think about less to line up for sure. But knowing you have to have your anchor point set makes you a better shot. You can everything else down but with a good anchor you ain't got squat.

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post
                Traditional is either longbow or a recurve. And there is just as much dispute between the two sometimes as
                there is between traditional and compounds. There are very deep feelings both ways in the sport.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget