Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cross training with traditional and compound bows. I've taken two deer with my compound this past week (I'll keep saying it because I'm coming off a two year slump) and in replaying the shots in my head something has jumped out at me. I rose, drew,

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cross training with traditional and compound bows. I've taken two deer with my compound this past week (I'll keep saying it because I'm coming off a two year slump) and in replaying the shots in my head something has jumped out at me. I rose, drew,

Cross training with traditional and compound bows. I've taken two deer with my compound this past week (I'll keep saying it because I'm coming off a two year slump) and in replaying the shots in my head something has jumped out at me. I rose, drew, and fired more smoothly and quickly than I can recall from the past and probably had pin on target for a fraction of a second before releasing. Early in the season I was practicing (read as "still learning") with my recurve a good bit, which is different than most years as well. I believe that practice to have made a difference with my compound draw and firing sequence. Does anyone have any experience with this? Opinions good, bad, or indifferent?

Yes, I've had similar situations. Shooting traditional has made me a much better compound bow shooter. I've been told black powder has a similar effect on gun hunting because you know you only have one shot and need to be careful of shot selection.

Comment

I would agree only very generally. Shooting a traditional bow well requires much more attention to detail and concentration than a compound, so in that regard I could see it being helpful. But when it comes to more specific things such as aiming and release time, I'm not sure there's a correlation. You really have to execute the shot differently with a compound than with a recurve. It obviously worked out this year, but I don't think shooting faster is necessarily better with a compound. That's my take anyway.

Comment

Jacarlin, I notice you stated you shoot with a pin with the compound, but did
        not mention if you shoot instictive with the recurve or also with a pin. In
        shooting instinctive with traditional equipment the so called aiming is done
        by picking a spot before drawing the bow, looking only at that spot and
        when the bow hand drops into position the arrow is released when the anchor
        hand touches the anchor point. With that type of free draw and release it
        releives much tension in the shot, is much more fluid. If one gets totally
        into instinctive shooting, I can see that it would also help a compound sight
        shooter too. I have heard of sight shooters having trouble releasing the
        arrow due to target panic, that does not happen with instinctive shooters.
        I would definetly think that shooting your recurve in this manner would
        aide you in your compond shooting as well. However, if you have already
        taken two deer this year, I would have to say you are doing alright , congrats !

Comment

Originally posted by huntfishtrap View Post
          I would agree only very generally. Shooting a traditional bow well requires much more attention to detail and concentration than a compound, so in that regard I could see it being helpful. But when it comes to more specific things such as aiming and release time, I'm not sure there's a correlation. You really have to execute the shot differently with a compound than with a recurve. It obviously worked out this year, but I don't think shooting faster is necessarily better with a compound. That's my take anyway.
          That is a very good point huntfishtrap, traditional shooting is quicker,, since instictive shooting is like throwing
          a ball, all hand to eye coordination. The compound is not shot in this manner, however, getting used to this
          form of shooting, I think could help a compound shooter get on target a little quicker and maybe help in
          making things a little more fluid. But then it all depends on the shooter, some pick it up and some don't. That
          is probably why not everyone shoots traditional bows.

Comment

Originally posted by bowhunter75richard View Post
            Jacarlin, I notice you stated you shoot with a pin with the compound, but did
            not mention if you shoot instictive with the recurve or also with a pin. In
            shooting instinctive with traditional equipment the so called aiming is done
            by picking a spot before drawing the bow, looking only at that spot and
            when the bow hand drops into position the arrow is released when the anchor
            hand touches the anchor point. With that type of free draw and release it
            releives much tension in the shot, is much more fluid. If one gets totally
            into instinctive shooting, I can see that it would also help a compound sight
            shooter too. I have heard of sight shooters having trouble releasing the
            arrow due to target panic, that does not happen with instinctive shooters.
            I would definetly think that shooting your recurve in this manner would
            aide you in your compond shooting as well. However, if you have already
            taken two deer this year, I would have to say you are doing alright , congrats !
            Thanks,
            No pin on my recurve. And I have to admit I hadn't thought that difference through as much as I could have.
            Regarding the two deer. I started bowhunting just about 10 o 12 years ago in my late 20's. I took my first two deer with a bow 3 seasons ago and thought "Well, there will be a price in cold unproductive mornings for that." Next year I got very little time in field. Last year I had plenty of opportunities. Blew a couple of shots (cleanly under animals at least)and finished my season with an arrow coming apart on release, but at least I wasn't injured.
            This year I put my time in in practice, but was a little limited on woods time. That said, I've taken 4 archery deer in the last 4 seasons, but none for the first 6 or 7 years I went out. I'd like to think I learned a lot of hard lessons. We shall see.
            Part of the point of the long winded response. 2 in 4 days is a fluke, I'm nothing to brag about over the long haul.

Comment

And I think that's what I'm seeing. I've picked up a bit of the low draw as it rises to my cheek in one motion, which really is a lot more economical, and I still find my pin, but I'm not doing it as another completely separate action. Go back a year and it was raise and extend bow. Slowly come to draw. Aim. Fight hammering heart for a moment. Release and hold.

Comment

Just for the record, I still don't trust myself with the recurve enough to hunt with it.

Comment

Originally posted by JM View Post
                  Yes, I've had similar situations. Shooting traditional has made me a much better compound bow shooter. I've been told black powder has a similar effect on gun hunting because you know you only have one shot and need to be careful of shot selection.
                  I guess that in some way comes around to all shooting making one a better shooter if only because they all emphasize follow through.

Comment

Originally posted by jcarlin View Post
                    Just for the record, I still don't trust myself with the recurve enough to hunt with it.
                    That is a wise thing to say and have knowledge of, jacarlin. Instinctive recurve shooting is very challenging and
                    thus very rewarding when one comes proficient enough to hunt with one. However, the fitst thought one should
                    have is that of the animal. That is not to say there will not be lost animals from traditional users, but if one does
                    the required work (practice) one can feel better maybe if it happens. Some time back we had a good discusion
                    here regarding certification in bow hunting and I said some things that were not too accepted as to my feelings
                    regarding said certification. Your feeling of not enough trust is music to my ears and I respect you highly for that.
                    I hope for your sake that some day you will take a animal with your recurve, your acheivment will be unbeleivable.
                    Good luck, jacarlin.

Comment

That should have been your achievement will give you a feeling that is unbelievable. Sorry about that.

Comment

I can see how acquiring the target quicker and more fluidly with a compound could be a benefit of shooting instinctively. I would just add one caution, and that's to make sure you don't shoot too fast with the compound. You really want to make sure that you take at least a second to settle the pin on the target, because if you're in the habit of shooting quickly anyway, it's very easy to just sweep the pin over the chest and punch the trigger when you have a touch of buck fever. Aim small, miss small.

Comment

I must admit that I am a poor adviser on what is good or bad regarding the use of a compound in as much as
                          I am totally a instinctive recurve shooter. So I guess one could disregard any information I give since it might
                          not apply. I do agree with your caution as to shooting too fast and that time should be taken in getting a good
                          sight picture before arrow release. Most of us will adapt to the best method of shooting that fits each of us.
                          However, I do very much like reading the different strategs that we all have.

Comment

I see your point huntfishtrap. We shall see what happens with more awareness. In practice, I still think I'm a fairly deliberate shooter with my compound. Under what passes for stress in this situation I seemed to have blended the two approached. I was not, however, unhappy with the result.

Comment

Good advice.
                              I still haven't put the time into it I should. Picking it up on day 1, I feel like I started where I was day 1 with a compound. The difference being that after a few sessions with a compound, I felt confident out to a hunting range of 20 yards all those years ago. Having spent a few sessions with the recurve, there is progress, but not enough to gamble a deer's pain on.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Hotel guest.
                                by 99explorer
                                A woman is sitting in her hotel room when there is a knock on the door.
                                She opens the door to find a man that she has never seen before.
                                The...
                                Today, 08:41 PM
                              • Plane crash.
                                by 99explorer
                                A passenger plane crashes on the exact border between the U.S. and Canada.
                                Where do they bury the survivors?
                                Today, 03:16 PM
                              • Animals on the ark.
                                by 99explorer
                                How many animals of each species did Moses take on the ark with him?
                                Today, 02:08 PM
                              • The college student puzzle..
                                by 99explorer
                                A student rides his scooter to the train station to go to college. His home in between two train stations.
                                The first station is a mile from home,...
                                Yesterday, 01:58 PM
                              • Pieces of gold.
                                by 99explorer
                                Which is worth more, a pound of $10 gold pieces, or half a pound of $20 gold pieces?
                                08-23-2019, 06:45 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X