Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Several years ago there was a product on the market called "string tracker". It sounded like a good idea that would possibly cut down on the loss of hit animals during bow season. However, it did sound a little involved and somewhat complicated and

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Several years ago there was a product on the market called "string tracker". It sounded like a good idea that would possibly cut down on the loss of hit animals during bow season. However, it did sound a little involved and somewhat complicated and

Several years ago there was a product on the market called "string tracker". It sounded like a good idea that would possibly cut down on the loss of hit animals during bow season. However, it did sound a little involved and somewhat complicated and I never got involved with it myself. I was wondering if any of you people might have tried this product and if so, what your thoughts and findings were. It might be still available, but I have no idea on this.

I think they are still available. They never really interested me much. I can only imagine that on a longer shot they would have to change the point of impact from the drag alone. Also, with the fact the string would have to be thin enough to allow the arrow to fly as close to normally as possible, it could not hold up to much and would likely break as it drags the ground behind the animal after the shot. So, you would still likely have to track the animal in addition to traveling across the countryside picking up string tangled in Lord knows what. Those are just my untested thoughts though, since I never have used them, or know anyone who has.

Comment

I've never used one, but I've always thought the concept had potential for turkey hunting. I can't really see a use for any other kinds of game.

Comment

Originally posted by 4everAutumn View Post
        I think they are still available. They never really interested me much. I can only imagine that on a longer shot they would have to change the point of impact from the drag alone. Also, with the fact the string would have to be thin enough to allow the arrow to fly as close to normally as possible, it could not hold up to much and would likely break as it drags the ground behind the animal after the shot. So, you would still likely have to track the animal in addition to traveling across the countryside picking up string tangled in Lord knows what. Those are just my untested thoughts though, since I never have used them, or know anyone who has.
        Your thoughts 4everAutumn are pretty much mine also. What little I do know is that the tracking string
        was a very thin nylon product and appeared to be extremly light. But your remark about picking up
        string from who knows where is only valid probably to a few hunters, many would not go through the
        trouble to do so ! But since hunters come from the general population, we have no better people than
        any other activity that is performed by the rest of the population. So I guess ypu have to take what
        you get, be it sometimes a bad choice !!

Comment

Originally posted by huntfishtrap View Post
          I've never used one, but I've always thought the concept had potential for turkey hunting. I can't really see a use for any other kinds of game.
          I guess I am a little confused huntfishtrap, if you feel it might have potential for one kind
          of game, why limit it to such ? I am not saying you are wrong, just interested in hearing
          why you would be negative about applying it to big game also. I feel that we are both on
          the same page here though.

Comment

I just don't think it would be as useful or practicable for anything but turkeys. Anything bigger and more powerful like a deer or an elk would easily break the thin line necessary to have a minimal impact on arrow flight. Plus, big-game animals are usually easier to track when hit than turkeys, because of two factors. 1, turkeys fly, and it's impossible to track them when they do so. 2, they don't leave much of a blood trail when they run, so it's difficult to track them even when they don't fly. Those two reasons, plus the small vitals of a turkey, are the reason so many birds shot poorly with a bow are lost. I don't think a string tracker is necessary for anything else.

Comment

hft, I see your point, very well explained. I have never hunted turkeys mainly because I was
              already spending so much time whitetail hunting that one more hunting activity would very
              likely have meant the end to a happy home !! Some women just don't have much of a sense
              of humor about things and being away from home alot seems to be one of them. They seem
              to have not yet figured out that men are much easier to get along with when they are allowed
              to hunt !!!!!

Comment

Good point, bowhunter75richard. There is a pretty good chance that the string just might get left where it came to rest. That seems like another mark against it, in my opinion. It's amazing how much stuff I find myself hauling out of the woods and fields lately. I took my boys fishing Saturday and picked up two bags of trash left by the slobs who also fish there. The really amazing thing is the fact that there is a trash can less than 20 yards from the place we were fishing.

Comment

I've used them a couple times on bears and it works fairly well....if it's a pass through, the string breaks pretty quick before the ribs or bone cuts the string...it does get you pointed in the right direction for awhile...doesn't seem to affect arrow flight much inside 25 yards or so

Comment

I guess our experiences go pretty much hand in hand 4everAutumn. I am presently in Germany and
                    my wife and I were at a small park like area yesterday for ice cream and lo' and behold there was trash
                    thrown around no more than 3-4 feet from a trash disposal ! I had always thought Europe was a more
                    environmentaly thinking area, however, I guess people are the same everywhere. When I was doing a
                    lot of back packing in the west in past years I remember picking up lots of trash then and I was always
                    thinking, if someone carried it in full, what was the problem of carrying it out empty !! Oh well ............

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget