Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I have bowhunted for over 40 years and during that time I have encountered a situation that has plagued me on enough occasions to indicate that there must be a reason for it. My problem however, is that I have been unable to determine the reason. M

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bowhunter75richard View Post
    In regards to my inquiry as to why a mature buck will sometimes go
    stiff legged and back out of a area, I wish to thank all the good responses !
    I have read a book by Fred Asbell, a well known author on deer and a
    long time traditional shooter, that his theory on this situation is that the
    buck is picking up brain waves sent out by the hunter as he is thinking
    about what he is going to do !!! I guess that might be possible, it is
    another possibility. What are your thoughts on such a happening ?
    Again, thanks for your feedback.
    Dang I never thought to try tinfoil. Thanks for the tip hft.

Comment

Hi...

I think that this may be fairly common...Most deer seem to have good instincts...and might have seen a tiny movement, reflection, or picked up an odor which would require further investigation...!!

Or, it just might be looking at something 'different', or something that was not there yesterday...!!

Comment

Originally posted by charlie elk View Post
        Once I believed they had a 6th sense, that somehow they could read my thoughts and it's more fun to believe this. After 50 years of deer hunting with stick, string and wood arrows; having numerous mature bucks in close my thoughts on this subject have changed.
        A deer's eyes see about 280 degrees all around. Much of their sight picks up shading and light reflection. This is why I have always worn clothing made of natural fiber; 1st choice wool it absorbs light, reflecting less light back to the deer's eyes. Today's synthetics are like light reflectors to the game's eyes.
        I think this is especially critical when in close. A simple slow movement can cause a flash of light to his eye causing an experienced deer to immediately stiffen or bolt.
        You know, Charlie, I thought I knew most of the things needed to be a successful hunter, it is good
        to get other peoples ideas and ways of doing things. Your white patch on your bow is something I
        would never of thought about and it is such a simple idea that sounds good ! About 10 years ago I
        was found to have a high PSA count and went through 3 biopsies and much aprehension and it made
        me start thinking of my own mortality and completly changed my thought on hunting, and I no longer
        wanted to kill again. I still hunt, but now only with rubber blunts. I still enjoy the challenge and have
        the excitment of the hunt but no longer have the fear of wounding a animal or losing one do to a poorly
        placed arrow. I have shot deer and elk with a 60 pound recurve in the past but now with my age I have
        dropped to my 50 pound limbs and as my draw length has shortned also, I am probably well under 50
        pounds. I would not advise anyone shooting a compound to use rubber blunts on deer, I think there
        would be too much speed and hitting power. Your coments have been good to read, I like the way you
        write and I hope to hear from you in the future, I think we have many of the same feelings on hunting.

Comment

Originally posted by Pathfinder1 View Post
          Hi...

I think that this may be fairly common...Most deer seem to have good instincts...and might have seen a tiny movement, reflection, or picked up an odor which would require further investigation...!!

Or, it just might be looking at something 'different', or something that was not there yesterday...!!
          All very good possibilities, Bob and I thank you. Your last sentence sounds as though it
          may be most correct. It has bugged me for some time and has been one of the resons
          I never put a big buck on the ground, that and my nerves whacking me black and blue,
          if you know what I mean.

Comment

I'm with the group on a the sixth sense, but I think it might be less than "magical". I've been convinced for years that I see more deer when I'm trying to keep a calm state then when I'm trying to be hyper vigilant.
            You pick up on something too well focused on you. I don't know that it works from behind for people, but anything within your field of vision, no matter how close to the edge it works.

On your ride home tonight try this:
            Turn your head and look at a car next to you. As much as we all focus ahead 90% of the time, by the time you fix your gaze on the person next to you, they are already turning to look at you or are looking back at you already. It might be that even in your most peripheral vision, the mind is programmed that the most dangerous thing in the world is another face or pair of eyes focused solely on you. Whatever the case is, it works.

Comment

Outside of all the of the other fun answers to speculate on, I recall reading an article by a photographer whose name I can not recall. He claimed that he stopped wearing a quartz watch because he had become convinced that deer could hear the vibration of the crystal out to I don't remember how many tens of yards.

Comment

Once I believed they had a 6th sense, that somehow they could read my thoughts and it's more fun to believe this. After 50 years of deer hunting with stick, string and wood arrows; having numerous mature bucks in close my thoughts on this subject have changed.
                A deer's eyes see about 280 degrees all around. Much of their sight picks up shading and light reflection. This is why I have always worn clothing made of natural fiber; 1st choice wool it absorbs light, reflecting less light back to the deer's eyes. Today's synthetics are like light reflectors to the game's eyes.
                I think this is especially critical when in close. A simple slow movement can cause a flash of light to his eye causing an experienced deer to immediately stiffen or bolt.
                Never give up, that is how I've lived my life through good time and bad. When we hunt, we hunt because we are hungry not only for food but for freedom and insight. In order to hunt the goal must be to kill. Now at the moment of truth the hunter cam make another decision and he has still hunted. Rubber tips and cameras do not provide real satisfaction. Only a hunt can do that, to feed one's soul. There is no reason for you to quit the hunt. I've had similar thoughts about death, everyone does at one time or another. Witnessing the death of all those animals over the last half century has, strangely, given me comfort and understanding of death. Nature demands something must die for another to live. The bottom line choice is you can either be a bystander watching the world go by or you can be a participant. Personally I choose to participate and do not want to outsource my food acquisition to someone else. Someone must the kill the meat so it might as well be me. It's the way of nature and cannot be denied.

Comment

Charlue, your advice as to never give up has been heard and understood, I have told that
                  to others on numerous occasions and I now find it easier said than done. I have been away
                  from the real intent to hunt for over 10 years, it may be difficult now to get back into the mind
                  set to do so. Mybig love of hunting in the past was elk hunting and I would love to go on
                  one more elk trip, if that would change my mind set I don't know, possibly. My last hunt was
                  in 2012 south of Craig, Col., on that trip I was with rubber blunts only. I understand and agree
                  with all you have said above and I appreciate your thoughts on this matter. My years are
                  catching up to me and it will probably take some stong motivating factor to make a decision
                  which way I go. Maybe we can keep in touch and I will let you know if you have been successful
                  in your attempt to save my hunting soul !! Thanks again.

Comment

Some tough love--Life happens, we deal with it, even though it's easier not to. For years I've worked with Hunt of Lifetime an organization the grants hunting wishes to kids with life threatening illnesses. Here you can see the bios on some of the kids and their hunts http://huntofalifetime.org/index.php?option=com_mtree&Itemid=29 if these youngsters can have a zest for life and make the most of their short time then we more experienced folks can too. In some cases their dream hunt was the thing that turned the tide in their treatments by giving them hope. While others sadly barely made it to or thru their hunts.
                    So unless you want to be wimpier than a 9 year old, get out there and hunt. OK, I get elk are hard when we get older but there many other things to hunt. Pick something else and use a different hunting tool if necessary.
                    One other thing; using rubber tipped arrows is illegal in most states under their wildlife harassment laws. I once looked into finding a way to catch and release hunt and found that there are no nonlethal methods allowed. Not paintballs, rubber tipped arrows, tranquilizers, counting coup nor driving or other manipulation of wildlife for photographic purposes.

Comment

"So unless you want to be wimpier than a 9 year old" was a slap that got my attention pretty darn
                      quick. I know that was your intent and I must say it did the trick !!! Now all I have to do is find
                      someway to keep them pesky varmits from going stiff legged and vacating my shooting area. I
                      must say I applaud the organization Hunt of a Lifetime and your connection with them. There
                      are other groups which help to aid in a last wish to terminally ill children, and I can not think of a
                      better way for one to contribute to helping a child. Take care !

Comment

A hearty welcome back in the fold. Happy hunting.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Birthday
                          by Amflyer
                          Bought the boy a new Left handed Tikka today for his upcoming birthday. Stainless, composite (plastic) stock. 30-06, but I will load to near 30-30 levels...
                          Today, 01:37 PM
                        • Gun show today
                          by fitch270
                          Had another one of those close but not quite encounters today. One of the things I’m keeping an eye out for is a compact model rifle for my daughter...
                          08-14-2022, 09:45 PM
                        • Beater .44 mag
                          by CD2
                          My dad got this rig way back. And he shot the crap out of it. 255gr cast about all it ever ran and medium hot. All the time.

I inherited...
                          08-14-2022, 11:42 AM
                        • Eatin ‘chuck
                          by dewman
                          Took out a couple woodchucks this week. Things tunneled all over under a pals shop and equipment. Might still be a couple more. He asked can they be eaten....
                          08-13-2022, 07:19 PM
                        • Parallax adj
                          by CD2
                          Somebody wanted my Leupold VX1 3-9x a while back and figured Id get a new Freedom .22 lr model to replace it.

Bud never came for scope and...
                          08-07-2022, 06:22 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X