Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone have any recommendations for a good lighted arrow nock? I've used a couple of cheaper "bargain-store" brands before, with very poor luck. But I've often had a hard time telling where my arrows hit game, deer especially, so I'd like to start us

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone have any recommendations for a good lighted arrow nock? I've used a couple of cheaper "bargain-store" brands before, with very poor luck. But I've often had a hard time telling where my arrows hit game, deer especially, so I'd like to start us

Anyone have any recommendations for a good lighted arrow nock? I've used a couple of cheaper "bargain-store" brands before, with very poor luck. But I've often had a hard time telling where my arrows hit game, deer especially, so I'd like to start using them again if I can find some that work reliably

At the edge of daylight lighted nocks are OK. But during bright daylight hours- not so much. I use white or light blue fletching and have no problem seeing the hit. Blue is preferred because there is nothing blue colored in my hunting areas. Well, except the sky, sometimes- and the arrow should not be going up there.

Comment

I use Tracer nocks. They aren't the most expensive ones out there, but they have served me very well over the last 4 seasons I've used them. They turn on as they pass a magnet and have never failed to light for me, unlike a really expensive inertia activated nock I started with.

Comment

Originally posted by 4everAutumn View Post
        I use Tracer nocks. They aren't the most expensive ones out there, but they have served me very well over the last 4 seasons I've used them. They turn on as they pass a magnet and have never failed to light for me, unlike a really expensive inertia activated nock I started with.
        That's funny, because Tracer nocks are one of the brands I tried, with rotten luck. Maybe I just got a bad pack, because one of my brothers uses them, and he likes them too. When I first got them, they wouldn't fit my arrows (too big), so I had to sand them down until they fit. I don't know if the sanding screwed something up with the magnetic switch or what, but 2 of them would only light up maybe 1 out of every 3 shots, and the other wouldn't light up at all. I put the magnet on the riser right by the rest, just like the instructions said.

Comment

Originally posted by charlie elk View Post
          At the edge of daylight lighted nocks are OK. But during bright daylight hours- not so much. I use white or light blue fletching and have no problem seeing the hit. Blue is preferred because there is nothing blue colored in my hunting areas. Well, except the sky, sometimes- and the arrow should not be going up there.
          I use bright white and orange fletchings, and I have white crests on my arrows too, but most of the time I don't see clearly where the arrow hits, if at all. I can't explain it, and I have perfect 20-20 vision, so it's not my eyes. I know that they won't be as big a help in full light, but every little bit would help. As an example, just this November I got a 32 yard shot at a 6 year old buck I've been chasing for 3 seasons, and I thought I saw the arrow hit him right behind the shoulder (it was about an hour after sunup). But based on the evidence we later found, I actually hit him in the front of the shoulder, not even in the chest at all (no excuses, I just made a lousy shot). I don't think I killed him, because when we took up the trail about 7 hours later, we found a fresh bed where we'd jumped him up, and there was only about a tablespoon of blood in it, and no blood trail leading away.

Comment

Originally posted by 4everAutumn View Post
            That is weird. I have had such luck with mine that I bought them for my son to use and he loves them too. We have never had any issue with them. I did notice just last night though that my magnet is starting to come loose. I don't know if it was because of the cold, or if I need to replace the adhesive. Glad you reminded me so I can deal with that issue before morning!

Comment

Everyone sees color a bit different. You might try blue and white fletching. For some strange reason I can't see orange when it hits a deer. Also use white nocks.
              One other thought, perhaps, your follow through is not as focused as it should be. If your eyes do not stay focused on the hair you want to hit you might be missing the split second when the arrow impacts?

Comment

My follow-through definitely might not be perfect at times. I know I'm not the world's greatest archer, though I don't think I'm terrible. I know I struggle at times with focusing on one tiny spot when shooting at game, so maybe that's part of it.

Comment

I am color blind and have a hard time as well, huntfishtrap. Blue, white, and pink are the easiest for me to see(in that order). I also have some arrow shafts that are completely blue which I love. I paid up for some lumenok ones at Cabelas. Like Charlie said, they still aren't very good in daylight. I keep one in the quiver for afternoon hunts, but I stick with bright colored fletchings in the morning. Another thing I have done is a small strip of lightweight reflective tape around the arrow.

Comment

I understand, in spite of our best intentions-- there's a lot to watch and keep track of at crunch time.

Comment

I like the nocturnal nocks by rage. I'm not a rage junkie, but I like their nocks for one simple reason. I shot at a deer and it jumped the string bouncing my arrow off its back out into a cut bean field. I thought I shot the deer and searched all day for it but couldn't find her anywhere nor blood but I was convinced I shot her. Almost a month later with snow cover on the ground myself and a friend were taking feed out at night and I saw a faint green glow in the snow and went to investigate it. It was my arrow 200yds from where I thought I shot that deer with the broad head (not a rage) buried in the mud. So I recovered my arrow and I know I didn't in fact shoot the deer nor did I loose $23 worth of arrow and broadhead. I would have never thought it would be still glowing but it was, and to me that says a lot about them.

Comment

Tracer are available at Cabelas. I'll try those this next season.

https://www.cabelas.com/ensemble/Easton-Tracer-Nocks/6546.uts

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Remington news
                          by fitch270
                          Just caught this on another forum, wanted to pass it along and get thoughts from anyone interested. Hopefully something good will come out of it.
                          Yesterday, 05:55 PM
                        • Grips and stocks
                          by dewman
                          so I was shooting the 357 I received from my father yesterday afternoon. The magnas that came on it gave me a good grip but were small enough to make...
                          Yesterday, 08:55 AM
                        • Youth pheasant hike
                          by fitch270
                          Just the girl and the younger dog today. Ok, so we went hunting but she didn't pop a primer.

Started out with a guilt trip, I let the dogs...
                          09-26-2020, 08:41 PM
                        • Son of a Fitch; goin' mobile
                          by fitch270
                          Kid got his drivers license today, only points off were for not actually turning to look behind him when he pulled out from parallel parking. I told him...
                          09-25-2020, 08:27 PM
                        • Unusual Sound
                          by jhjimbo
                          At camp in S. Ohio I was almost asleep and I heard the strangest howl-screech, bark that I have ever heard. Raised the hair on my neck. About 30min later...
                          09-25-2020, 02:17 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X