Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who has bow hunted in a canoe before? (Charlie Elk?) My question is who shoots and who steers? Or does it matter when going doin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who has bow hunted in a canoe before? (Charlie Elk?) My question is who shoots and who steers? Or does it matter when going doin

Who has bow hunted in a canoe before? (Charlie Elk?) My question is who shoots and who steers? Or does it matter when going doing a straight part? Im not sure if there should be three people, with bow and middle shooting or is two people good enough?

Assuming the water is calm two would be fine, but in rougher water 3 people would probably help(stamina, steering, extra eyes, etc.).

Comment

Canoes are used as the method of travel, they make for very poor shooting platforms. A canoe can get you into areas with high game populations that are under hunted.
      The picture of the 12 pointer in my profile was killed after slipping in quietly by canoe and proceeding to stalk within range. My favorite way to hunt big whitetails.
      3 people in a canoe is a crowd and potentially dangerous.
      later,
      charlie

Comment

Thats a good point Charlie Elk, i guess the deer would have to be perpendicular to the boat with 3 people in, unless the canoe was turned without spooking the deer. im guessing its up to the person in front to shoot most of the time...Heres a thought, Deer are good at seeing humans on ground and in stands. but when it comes to other ways we travel, they just stare for a few seconds trying to understand what they see, like when i drive an atv past them, deer will just look at me when i stop, so i wonder if they would react the same when a canoe comes at them

Comment

I agree with charlie, shooting a bow accurately from any kind of boat is tough, and a canoe is about the worst kind of boat, stability-wise. I suppose it could be possibly to shoot well enough instinctively from a canoe to hunt deer, but only at short ranges.
          You are correct MN, deer usually don't associate floating objects with humans until you're very close. I used to run a canoe trapline, and we would often float up within 50 yards or less of deer, including big bucks.

Comment

I have bowfished out of a canoe. Me and my buddy both take our bows and we usally both shoot when on a straight path.

Comment

In opinion deer do not have really good sight with practice you can trick them into not recognizing you much like the techniques demonstrated in the book- Invisible Gorilla.
              I have floated rivers in flat bottom jon boats pretending to be fishing with my long bow in order to find bedded deer laying on the bank. A jon boat makes a very good shooting platform. But you must practice so that you know how to place an arrow in a stationary target while you are moving.
              later,
              charlie

Comment

i have tricked deer before. I did this once when i came up to a field with several deer in it. All i did was army crawl from 100 yards away to 60 yards before they were too nervous and ran. So you are saying the deer are use to people fishing down the river and the deer just watch? i guess there are some things that confuse deer.

Comment

Deer are on alert for threats, if you don't appear to be a threat you can get quite close. In your "army crawl" example the deer became nervous because they rightly perceived you as danger.
                  When stalking you must of course make sure your scent does reach their noses. I hang a frayed piece of dental floss on my bow limb this informs me the direction of the slightest breeze. Then I crawl, not in a direct line to the deer, rather meandering towards them copying the moments they are making. Such as feeding; I'll bend my head to the ground to imitate as I advance. With great care and patience you can stalk within 30 yards of feeding deer.
                  50 years ago when I was introduced to deer hunting one on one hunting while on the ground was common practice. No one climbed a tree to ambush deer, there were some "stump sitters". When the first tree stands were built it was controversial because it was considered unfair by many hunters. MN actually had a law that you could not hunt elevated any higher than 6 feet.
                  The art of the stalk is mostly lost on modern day deer hunters and worse they will tell you it is impossible to stalk into close range.
                  MNwhitetailHunter your desire to learn lifts my spirits. Do not let anyone tell you it is impossible just keep practicing and learning.
                  later,
                  charlie

Comment

I haven't given up yet stalking deer. That is all my uncle does every year. I did that last year (crawling towards the deer), there is a hay field at the end of a dirt road that usually attracts deer in the evening all summer long. Last deer season I was able to see deer before they saw me in a very dense cover of trees, this was after it rained a lot, so my steps were completely silent as long as i was slow. October is impossible to stalk without wind, especially if it has been very dry out, leaves are just too loud. early bow season seems like the best chance because deer are clueless.

Comment

It's OK to make noise while stalking you just have to make sure it is the right noises with the proper cadence.
                      In Oct deer make a lot of noise moving through all the fallen leaves and their noise is distinctive of a four hoofed critter. I imitate this putting the toe of my boot down first followed by my heel with a little practice this produces a double step sound much like that of front hoof then back hoof.
                      Or imitate sound of a squirrel burying acorns. Use the toe of your boot in a side to side motion clearing away the leaves before you put weight on your foot. Of course deer do not fear squirrels, rather they seem to feel more confident when squirrels are going about their business.
                      I am sure your Uncle has lots of tips and tactics to share with you. He is a valuable resource, hunt as much as you can with him and pay attention to the little details he might not even mention.
                      later,
                      charlie

Comment

Hey MNwhitetailHunter, if you're interested in learning more about stalking deer (or anything else), I would highly recommend that you pick up some of Tom Brown Jr.'s books on the subject. He is nothing short of a genius on the subject, and his books are great reads.

Comment

That's an interesting recommendation. I think Mr. Brown on occasion has railed against sport hunting? Or do I have him confused with someone else?
                          Some years ago his reliance on earth worship to track took him off my radar screen. So I don't claim to know a lot about him. But now I'm curious.
                          later,
                          charlie

Comment

charlie elk, I have never heard of him being anti-hunting, and none of his books that I've read have come across that way.
                            He does ascribe to some of the Native American ideas about earth worship, etc., which were a bit foreign to me, but honestly I didn't find it hard to just skip past those parts and concentrate on the areas that focus more on pure woodcraft.

Comment

He has several books out. Which one would you recommend?
                              I have some insight of the Native American hunter/gather culture due to one of my most influential outdoor mentors, Chief Alex Moose. I posted a picture and short tribute to him in my OL profile section under the photo section.
                              later,
                              charlie

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Dads gun #2 Browning auto5 20ga
                                by dewman
                                Last time it was shot was a pheasant hunt in Colorado in '84. I'll have to remedy that. This gun is feather light. Wish the choke was ic or mod. It's...
                                Yesterday, 08:40 AM
                              • Dads gun #1 S&W 28-2. .357
                                by dewman
                                Got my fathers 28-2 357 to go with my 29-2 44mag. Check out the safari land flap holster. ...
                                Yesterday, 07:59 AM
                              • What is taking so long ?
                                by jhjimbo
                                Can't be that hard for the Administrator to 86 the spammers....
                                09-21-2020, 07:52 PM
                              • Burn cream
                                by CD2
                                Drugstore used to carry a white silver cream.
                                No longer does.
                                Was maybe 10 bucks or so for a little tube.
                                Bargain.

Got...
                                09-21-2020, 05:39 PM
                              • Colorado surprise. Couple of dads guns.
                                by dewman
                                So even with all the wrangling being done to screw we 4 sons of my father I got a little lucky. Even though my stepmom is still alive and her 3 sons from...
                                09-20-2020, 10:12 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X