Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I really wanted to put away the compound for a while and get into traditional style bowhunting and for Christmas I recieved an o

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I really wanted to put away the compound for a while and get into traditional style bowhunting and for Christmas I recieved an o

I really wanted to put away the compound for a while and get into traditional style bowhunting and for Christmas I recieved an older Ben Pearson Javelina recurve. I think it'll work fine as just a starter, but my only concern is that it only has 40lb limbs. I dont know much about recurves so i'm not sure if that would be enough weight where i could cleanly take an animal. I know for compounds that would be enough but i'm just not sure about recurves. Can anyone clarify?

-A 40# recurve with carbon arrow shafts and a sharp 2 blade fixed broadhead will kill a deer, but effective range will be the biggest problem for you. Since you are new to instinctive shooting do not attempt a shot on a deer beyond 20 yards; ideally under 15.
    -A 40# bow will be a good way to build up the muscles before moving up to a heavier bow. During target practice try to hold it for a few extra seconds before shooting each arrow.
    -Another thing is that some people just aren't very good at instinctive shooting(example: being able to judge distance in the woods and adjust their aim for it without sights), so this will give you the chance to see whether or not you can shoot instinctively.

Comment

I agree with what JM said...plenty of bow to kill a deer, or even elk, but shot placement is critical, and range will be much more limited than with a compound. First thing is to do a lot of blind bale shooting (eyes closed) at point blank just to develop a good muscle memory for your form..and yea..hold your draw for as long as you can and still shoot accurately to build strength..after your form is down it just takes a LOT of practice to develop instinctive shooting skills, but they will come around.

Comment

I agree with JM, 40# is enough to take a deer cleanly, as long as you use a razor-sharp cut-on-contact broadhead, and keep your shot selection very conservative.
        I don't know where you live, but if it's in a state that allows bowfishing for carp and other "rough" fish, that makes for very good instinctive shooting practice, and it's a heck of a lot of fun besides.

Comment

40# is a good starting point and you have some good advice from these folks. If you like it you can always get a heavier bow later. Most people with enough practice cab be good instinctive shooters. It just takes lots of practice.

Comment

Thanks guys

Comment

Chief,
              I think this was a great question, I'm looking to go the same route and just bougth a light long-bow for my 9 year old daughter.
              I would still check your regulations. In PA our regs specify that archery equipment for deer or bear must have a 35lb minimum draw weight. Your state may or may not have a requirement and it might be heavier.

Comment

The bow should be fine out to 30yds or so. Only take high percentage shots. My Bear recurve i started shooting instinctively and missed some deer then finally put on a simple one pin sight. Taped it on so i did not have to drill the bow. After that i started to connect.

Comment

Originally posted by Thechief57 View Post
                  Thanks guys
                  A 40# recurve is on the border line for an effective hunting bow. I imagine it to be a
                  good option to start you in traditional archery, however, I would prefer to see you going up
                  to 50# if you can manage it. There are several good custum bow makers that produce very
                  fine bows and their performance is much better than the older bows of yester years. They are
                  not cheap, but worth the money if you intend to stay in traditional archery. The lighter the bow
                  weight, the more proficent must the shooter be. Traditional archery requires much practice and
                  you will need to have the bow in your hands as much as possible to gain the confidence in order
                  to shoot it well enough to be fair to the game you are hunting!!! Instinctive shooting is difficult for
                  some to master, but there are many good instinctive shooters so it is not impossible, but you must
                  be determined to put in the practice time. Anyone can learn to shoot a compound with sights in a
                  matter of an our or so, but don't expect that to happen with the recurve. However, shooting a bow
                  instinctivly is very much more rewarding. Having been a traditional shooter for over 20 years, I very
                  much welcome you into this form of archery, I am sure you will find it a pleasure.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Outdoor Life archives
                    by Scott123
                    Has anyone missed reading Outdoor Life cover to cover archives? I get the run around on the phone about it may come back. Anyone else read it besides...
                    Yesterday, 11:23 PM
                  • Blade Stain
                    by jhjimbo
                    Anybody have tips for getting stains off knife blades. I have a nice, K-Bar I would like to clean up and a 3" Western. All different kinds of stains,...
                    Yesterday, 11:40 AM
                  • Home Defense
                    by jhjimbo
                    If you are using your bird gun for double duty of house defense remember to remove the plug. Might as well have full magazine capacity. Also, I have...
                    10-20-2020, 02:15 PM
                  • Pay it forward
                    by fitch270
                    I'm not sure how much interest this will generate but I figured I'd give it a shot and see how it goes. As a way of saying thanks for the help and entertainment...
                    10-18-2020, 01:34 PM
                  • Reloading Gear Order
                    by fitch270
                    I have a bunch of stuff in a cart at Midway and wanted to check with you guys before I place the order. A few things on the cheap side I want to make...
                    10-17-2020, 08:31 AM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X