Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I have tried still hunting(walking) with my bow so far. I have seen deer, but they ALWAYS hear me even tho i make the least amou

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have tried still hunting(walking) with my bow so far. I have seen deer, but they ALWAYS hear me even tho i make the least amou

I have tried still hunting(walking) with my bow so far. I have seen deer, but they ALWAYS hear me even tho i make the least amount of noise possible. ive tried walking 3 steps a minute, but they still sense me first!I cant get a shot off b/c they are in the wrong place,facing the wrong way. I think that all im doing is spooking the deer out of the area. What do you think? Is still hunting for deer WITH a bow too hard and not worth it? have you had any decent opportunities to get a shot off while still hunting w/ a bow?

-I know you focus on noise, but are paying attention wind direction? I know still hunting can be frustrating when a deer sees you moving, but when it all comes together and you get a shot off it is extremely rewarding, so keep at it.
    -What you describe sounds more like spot and stalk than still hunting, and stalking with a bow is extremely challenging. The only time I have ever had luck stalking a deer with a bow is when there was a heavy snow on the ground.
    -I still hunt with a bow extremely slow. I will sit at one tree for 15-30 minutes and then walk to another tree(50 yard walk at most) and sit for another 15-30 minutes. If I spot a deer and it is out of bow range than I am simply out of luck.

Comment

I doubt you are scaring them so badly that they are moving out of the area. What you should be trying to accomplish is spotting the deer before he sees you and hope that he walks a course within bow range.

Comment

Still hunting is hard. The deer have all the advantages of superior scenting and hearing ability and can see motion really well. Be patient, and when you think you're going slow enough, cut your speed in half. Good luck.

Comment

Hi,
          The only person I know who is a good spot & stalk hunter takes 3 very slow steps and then waits 1 or 2 minuites before taking the next 3 steps. The pause and momentary quiet seems to calm down the deer.
          Bow hunting is much harder than gun hunting because you have to get so close. Many hunters get into bows when gun hunting gets to easy. If spot & stalk is too frustrating for now try still hunting from a tree stand or hidden behind a log near some fresh sign until your ready to try again.

Comment

I hear this a lot and people think I'M pulling their leg when I tell them about finding a coyote sleeping in the woods,or about the time I touched a nice buck as he walked a trail.The biggest short fall I see hunters make is CLOCKS.We hurry to our stands to beat sun up,we expect deer to show up at our stands before ten.Then we gotta get back to our buddies at twelve to have dinner relate our stories,back in our stand early afternoon then hurry out of the woods before darkness gets us lost.

Comment

What I'm trying to say is,you have to get in tune with woods time.Watch how deer move or hang up when they hear a sound,look past your immediate area.IS that a birds wing or the ear of a deer flicking?YOU have all day or all season.Forget about other people success. You only gotta be lucky once,the deer have to be lucky all the time. Move a little,Look a lot.LEAVE your clock at home.

Comment

Still hunting with a bow is flat-out HARD, there's no two ways about it. The other guys have some good tips, but I would just add that with a bow, you can expect to not get a shot at the majority of deer you see while still hunting, it's just the nature of the beast.
                It can really depend on the type of cover you're hunting in too - if it's too open, or there's too much noisy ground litter, it might be literally impossible to still hunt effectively.

Comment

Hi...

Many good pointers above...especially wait/listen/look before walking.

Most archery deer hunters I know use a blind or tree stand. Lets the deer do all the walking, but takes patience, patience, patience.

Best of luck.

Comment

As you may or may not know, there is much more to still hunting than just walking slow. It’s about walking slow when needed and moving more quickly when needed. It is about still hunting at times when the wind, sun glare and terrain make sense. Is the ground damp & quite or are there dry, crunchy leaves? It is about using quite camo and cover to your upmost advantage. It is very much about your scouting and knowing the area where deer are likely to be at the time you are moving. It is about constantly glassing with binos and learning how to spot small sections of a deer rather than the whole animal. It is about being a silent forest ghost and using all your senses to hear or spot deer before they spot you. It is not easy but it is rewarding when you succeed. Having said that, you are making an already difficult task extra challenging by still hunting with a bow. With a bow, even if you see the deer before he sees you, you still have to get in range, get in a position to draw undetected, and have a clear shooting lane. I bow hunt in a tree stand. I still hunt with a 30-30 which is much, much easier to deal with when still hunting and gives you more options and much better odds of success. You might consider doing the same until you are ready for the extra challenge of still hunting with your bow. Or try still hunting for rabbits or hogs with your bow which are a bit easier than deer but require the same skills.

Comment

Last season before the leaves were all down and bow season began in September (North Carolina) I made trails I could walk and shooting lanes every so often in areas I know the deer travel through. To make the trails I cut and trimmed limbs that would get stuck on my gear, I used my boots to push sticks and underbrush aside so I could walk silently and I incorporated sections of a shallow stream into my "stalking course." about half way through the season I snuck up on a doe that was feeding along the creek bottom. I could have drawn on her but she knew something wasn't right. Rather than spook her I stayed knelt down with my arrow shaking "a little." I ranged her, she was 25 yards across the creek. And then and there my hard work had paid off. The main thing I noticed is that the deer actually started using my trails (I wear rubber boots and thin gloves and control my scent like a freak) which I thought was a kicker. It is possible but like the other gentlemen have stated it is not easy, and it takes more patience than most can muster. Get in the woods in late summer and make some trails, when the leaves fall your trail will get covered and you can move in the rain or early morning/evening moisture which softens the leaves. Another important factor is to be able to practice and shoot in the kneeling position, rather than standing up. When you stop, take a knee and listen. Always make sure you only hunt when the wind is in your favor. If you keep spooking them they will go nocturnal. Good luck.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Remington news
                        by fitch270
                        Just caught this on another forum, wanted to pass it along and get thoughts from anyone interested. Hopefully something good will come out of it.
                        09-27-2020, 05:55 PM
                      • Grips and stocks
                        by dewman
                        so I was shooting the 357 I received from my father yesterday afternoon. The magnas that came on it gave me a good grip but were small enough to make...
                        09-27-2020, 08:55 AM
                      • Youth pheasant hike
                        by fitch270
                        Just the girl and the younger dog today. Ok, so we went hunting but she didn't pop a primer.

Started out with a guilt trip, I let the dogs...
                        09-26-2020, 08:41 PM
                      • Son of a Fitch; goin' mobile
                        by fitch270
                        Kid got his drivers license today, only points off were for not actually turning to look behind him when he pulled out from parallel parking. I told him...
                        09-25-2020, 08:27 PM
                      • Unusual Sound
                        by jhjimbo
                        At camp in S. Ohio I was almost asleep and I heard the strangest howl-screech, bark that I have ever heard. Raised the hair on my neck. About 30min later...
                        09-25-2020, 02:17 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X