Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Going on a elk hunt sometime this year, i was just wondering how much draw weight do you have to have to kill a full sized matur

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Going on a elk hunt sometime this year, i was just wondering how much draw weight do you have to have to kill a full sized matur

Going on a elk hunt sometime this year, i was just wondering how much draw weight do you have to have to kill a full sized mature bull elk at 30 yds?

That's a tough question. I think it is more a matter of proficiency rather than draw weight. I pull 65 pounds and feel confident in killing an elk. That said, I will enjoy reading the comments from those more experienced than myself.
    Just my two cents, I would want to pull at least 55 pounds and take an optimal shot at no more than 30 yards.

Comment

Yeah, I pretty much agree with The Captain, I personally would want at least a 60 pound draw weight, and that's with a new, highly efficient compound, with an older bow I would probably want even more weight.
      It also depends on what arrow/broadhead setup you're using, if you're going heavy for max penetration, with a fixed blade or cut-on-contact broadhead, then you might get by with a little less weight than otherwise.
      In any case, I would be cautious about shot selection though.

Comment

I dont know the difference between the older compound bows and the modern ones, but with the "modern" bows I would say atleast 50 pounds.

Comment

Don't worry about your draw weight but also what that weight is pushing; the arrow. you are going to want a big nasty arrow with lot of weight behind it so it makes quite a wallop into tht elk. I use gold tip arrows, although it loses alot of fps because of its heavy weight, it makes up for it with its power. Same as shooting a heavier caliber firearm like a .45LC

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Firing squad.
            by 99explorer
            A man is shot by 12 members of a firing squad, and the squad officer administers the coup de grace with a bullet to the head.
            This final shot does...
            Today, 09:07 PM
          • Lost in the woods.
            by 99explorer
            You are lost in the woods and come to a fork in the road.
            One path leads to civilization and the other will get you lost forever.
            Two Indians...
            Today, 01:24 PM
          • Books on a shelf.
            by 99explorer
            There are several books on a bookshelf.
            If one book is fourth from the left and sixth from the right, how many books are on the shelf?
            Yesterday, 02:19 PM
          • Mental arithmetic.
            by 99explorer
            A bat and a ball cost $1.10.
            The bat costs one dollar more than the ball.
            How much does the ball cost?
            Yesterday, 11:57 AM
          • The new king.
            by 99explorer
            The queen has twins by C-section, so it is impossible to tell who would have been born first and would become the next king.
            Now the twins are adults...
            08-20-2019, 04:27 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X