Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Last year I was squirrel hunting, with a shotgun, in Pennsylvania. An archer, who had hit and wounded a deer, came up to me and

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Last year I was squirrel hunting, with a shotgun, in Pennsylvania. An archer, who had hit and wounded a deer, came up to me and

Last year I was squirrel hunting, with a shotgun, in Pennsylvania. An archer, who had hit and wounded a deer, came up to me and asked if I had seen which way the deer went. I had not, and felt as if I should help him look for the deer since it was wounded. I did not have an archery tag and was carrying the shotgun, so I was concerned this would cause me a problem with the law enforcement folks. I was not sure what to do, and finally decided not to help. This has bothered me ever since. What should I have done?

it would have been easy to tell that the deer was hit by an arrow instead of a shotgun load/slug, thats IF you found it.You do have a good point on being concerned with the tax collecters. Its up to you. did the archer have a tag and firearm safety certified? which could tie you to the crime if he is poaching.see if theres a lot of tax collecters in your area and where they go if your worried about them. it was your day of hunting to decide on what to do.

Comment

You have NO reason to help finde that deer! you gave him an answer...Go on with your hunting.
      I once shot a deer that was shot by an other hunter he came runing over to me and said THAT'S my deer you shot! and I said who killed it...but I will give you half...He said just give me the horns????

Comment

I don't understand how carrying a gun during archery season would get you in trouble with the law. You have the right to bear arms. Period.
        If you were worried that they might think you shot the deer, the other guy was there with his bow, wasn't he? I don't think the warden could overcome the burden of proof on that one.

Comment

I think it was your call to help or not. Your concern with issues with game wardens is justified.

Comment

I would absolutely have helped, there's no way that you could ever get into trouble under those circumstances, even if the guy would have been poaching it would have been clear on further investigation that there was no connection between you and him. Like land cruiser said, the proof's all on your side. If you were really concerned about it, you could have just stashed your shotgun somewhere where nobody else would find it and then come back for it after looking for the deer. But if I had to choose between ticking off a game warden and possibly leaving a deer to rot, I would say, screw the warden every time.

Comment

I would have helped. I know that the PGC can be a pain (I live in NW PA) but there is a large difference in an arrow wound and a shotgun wound. Since you were hunting squirrel i would assume you were not using a slug so there would have been no way to mistake a birdshot wound for an arrow wound. And if you were cited you could have easily beat it.

Comment

By the way in regards to treestands comment, if the deer was shot in the vitals and you in essence just made the deer die quicker, the entire deer should have been offered to the other hunter. If it was a bad shot I would see no problem with keeping the whole deer.

Comment

ELHANON ,not only are you justified your right not to trust how a game warden or the law might think,I;VE had several run ins with game wardens while most do a good job some of them are quick to demonstrate thier authority at your expense.

Comment

I think I would of helped, but I was not in your shoes, There is a lot to think about if a warden would of stopped you but it would of been easy to see you were just helping. But some warden could of just made an example of you and through a fine your way. Its a shame we need to think this way and not help our fellow hunters, but not all men and women of the law don't think like us.

Comment

i agree with MNwhitetailHunter an arrow kill is much different than a shotgun kill but it was a choice that you didnt have much time to think about

Comment

It's nice to see all of the different answers. That means I wasn't obviously wrong. (I still might have done the wrong thing, but it at least it was not obvious!) The PGC has some strict rules about "participating" in the hunt, and it's not at all clear what an individual warden and/or magistrate would say in such a situation. I guess that wasn't a risk I was willing to take.

Comment

I would have helped but only after making sure the guy had the right paperwork and was not poaching. In that case the GW will tie you to him. Look worse case is say you are small game hunting with shotgun while actually looking for deer. How does the GW know? All he can tell is you have a shotgun with birdshot.

Comment

The Idaho hunting regulations have a frequently asked questions section. The question is: Am I allowed to carry a firearm while bowhunting? Idaho's official answer- You have the right to bear arms.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Lost some cover; pic heavy
                              by fitch270
                              ​ ​ ​ Long story shorter, my Aunt’s 70’ish year old spring line plugged up last Friday, a combination of old iron pipe and poly. The only way to...
                              Yesterday, 06:07 PM
                            • Covid-19
                              by jhjimbo
                              Any indication a game animal can get the virus ? The news had a case of a dog in I think NC that got the virus.

Tucker Carlson had a guest...
                              09-17-2020, 10:38 PM
                            • Spur of the moment rifle
                              by Amflyer
                              I stopped in the local Scheels the other day so see about getting some IMR 4831. As a slow-ish old school powder I thought that the current buying craze...
                              09-17-2020, 11:25 AM
                            • The $20 Shooting Shack
                              by fitch270
                              So we’ve been doing some outside remodeling and dismantled some decking. The stuff wasn’t good enough to reuse on the house when we redo the decks...
                              09-16-2020, 10:23 PM
                            • When is it equipment vs when it is you?
                              by dewman
                              one of my range only pals stopped by last night. I showed him my new mk4 and he showed me his. He had spent a lot of $ on upgrades. A lot. Showed me some...
                              09-15-2020, 08:42 AM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X