Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I am starting bow hunting and I draw a 60lb. pull and I need a broad head that is cheap and durable. I would also like it to wor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am starting bow hunting and I draw a 60lb. pull and I need a broad head that is cheap and durable. I would also like it to wor

I am starting bow hunting and I draw a 60lb. pull and I need a broad head that is cheap and durable. I would also like it to work for elk and deer. What is your suggestion?

if your are going after elk. don't go cheap. honor the game animals by doing everything in your power to insure a clean, effective kill. go cheap on the sleeping bag you use, go cheap on the food you'll eat on the trip, but use the best possible tools to take you animals. they deserve it.

Comment

I agree with prairieghost--if you can, scrimp somewhere else. I recently converted to the Rage 2-blade. I was using fixed broadheads until I saw a couple of Rage 2-blade kills a couple of years ago--huge exit wounds and quick kills. I was convinced. They come with a practice head that flies really close to the actual broadhead, so you can minimize trashing broadheads for practice.

Comment

Ok here is some stuff I have learned. First off make sure your bow is tuned and tuned good and you practice, practice. I hate spending money on all the new fad products. You don't need the latest in all the super cool crap. I learned after a couple years of bow hunting, That arrow in a good weight make a big difference. I shoot for around a 400 grain finished arrow weight. Why?? Kinetic energy!! Light arrows don't cut the mustard! With the poundage your shooting sure with a heavier arrow you will lose speed but I don't worry about that!
        For elk that is where your heavier arrow will help out the most. Elk are tough critters, deer can be tough as well, but you want to make sure your arrow will penetrate that tough hide and get in the body to do max damage, Lighter arrows sometimes fail to do this. Now your broadhead question. I have shot the new state of the art mechanical's and shot the average priced Fixed Blade head. I like Muzzy 3 blades and Muzzy 4 blades. The have done a excellent job for me through the past few years. I like to use what works for me. With Muzzy's or any fixed blade you may have to tune your bow slightly from how it shoots field points. That's not a big deal to do either. Through the years of Bow Hunting I have learned I don't need a new bow ever year, I don't need the best most expensive new fangled stuff on the market. Now you can search on the internet for any good fixed blade heads and watch video and read reviews, this all helps, but finding what you like and can shoot well is the biggest thing. Good Luck!!

Comment

This is good advice from everyone. I would go with a muzzy broadhead. They get the job done and are razor sharp. They have good penetration and finish the job quickly and humanely. Hope this helps.
          Foxhunter18

Comment

Thunderhead

Comment

wasp sst 100gr. are hard to beat for being tough and fairly accurate also. They are also very affordable. They come in a six pack with extra blades.
              KHH

Comment

dont go to cheap or you wont get the job done, i would go with meattakers from rocket broadheads or the bloodrunners from nap. i shoot them both of them and both of them are great, but if you dont want mechanichals i would go with the hellrazors from nap i shoot those to and i'm not dissapointed by any of them hope this helped J.pfeuffer

Comment

Magnus Stinger 4 blade..... lifetime guarantee, they fly like a field point and easy to resharpen!!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Pieces of gold.
                    by 99explorer
                    Which is worth more, a pound of $10 gold pieces, or half a pound of $20 gold pieces?
                    Yesterday, 06:45 PM
                  • Mansion on fire.
                    by 99explorer
                    One of Jeffrey Epstein's mansions is on fire.
                    It has three main rooms. One is full of money in cash, another contains valuable paintings, and the...
                    Yesterday, 10:04 AM
                  • Firing squad.
                    by 99explorer
                    A man is shot by 12 members of a firing squad, and the squad officer administers the coup de grace with a bullet to the head.
                    This final shot does...
                    08-22-2019, 09:07 PM
                  • Lost in the woods.
                    by 99explorer
                    You are lost in the woods and come to a fork in the road.
                    One path leads to civilization and the other will get you lost forever.
                    Two Indians...
                    08-22-2019, 01:24 PM
                  • Books on a shelf.
                    by 99explorer
                    There are several books on a bookshelf.
                    If one book is fourth from the left and sixth from the right, how many books are on the shelf?
                    08-21-2019, 02:19 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X