Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My ten year old is wanting to start bow hunting. I have no clue where to start. Do you have any suggestions for me.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My ten year old is wanting to start bow hunting. I have no clue where to start. Do you have any suggestions for me.

My ten year old is wanting to start bow hunting. I have no clue where to start. Do you have any suggestions for me.

w/ equipment? get a Mathews of pse compound bow for around 300$ that has changeable draw length (out to 30 is good for draw) and draw weight (most if not all have that) (it might come w/ sights n a trigger release) a trigger release is better n will increase accuracy w/ less human error. get a quality bow not a cheap one.practice alot. 1st timers should practice @ 10-30 yrds n should have a few pins sighted for different yrds. first timers will have a wider group n a ok accuracy. good group is better than hitting one bull eye. Shooter will get better after 1st yr..to sight pin , follow arrow, if it goes higher than bull eyes, move pin up..perfect practice makes you better (there r bad habits to get into) the draw weight should be around 30-40 lbs (look @ the legal draw lbs). a range finder (get quality) helps alot,. put a "d" loop on ur bow for the release. u can buy an arm guard if the string hit the wrist. bow strings need to be replaced every 3-4 yrs (or if it’s in good condition b/c it might snap as u draw it back n cut u up really bad)..get qualitly bow wax, some stay on for a week (the good kind(wax after you are done shooting for the day) some stay on for 12 hrs. lastly, hunt in a stand when there’s green all around in the woods (really hard seeing deer and getting a shoot opportunity.bow hunting is really fun, it offers months to tag a deer (check in the annual fire arms rule book for the dates).lets you hunt close by a big city (only legal in certain areas) where there is a lot of deer/big bucks.

Comment

Go to your local sport shop or Bass Pro shop most
      have a bow class fot starters, if not look for a
      hunter safty class run by the NRA their is help out there for you.

Comment

Check Ebay, Craigslist and local pawn shops. I boought my son a New Browning Micro Midas at a local pawn shop for 125, not bad for a fist bow. Mathew's Genesis is the best bang for the buck for a starter bow and can be found used for 1/2 the price of a new. My son has just bought a Bowtech General and if I'm not carefull, he'll be shooting better than I, if he dosen't allready.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget