Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I recently asked the question about broadheads (fixed or mechanical). I normally shoot G5 montec but due to a lack of blood trai

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I recently asked the question about broadheads (fixed or mechanical). I normally shoot G5 montec but due to a lack of blood trai

I recently asked the question about broadheads (fixed or mechanical). I normally shoot G5 montec but due to a lack of blood trails after double lunging a nice whitetail i am thinking about switching to a mini max, rage, or a grimm reaper razorline ss. What would you choose in my position?

i firts used the grim reapers then went to g5 montecs. for the last two years i used 100gr rage 2 blades. deer dont go far with a double lung shot, these are devastating.

Comment

Joe,

The G5's are good heads except for the carbon steel version which showed signs of rust after just a few days of hunting.

I have hunted with Rage heads and was less than happy with their performance. The biggest problem with the Rage was premature opening. Twice in one week I stalked within bow range only to see one of my blades hanging when I pulled back. Must have caught on a twig while stalking. There were other things I did not care for but for that reason alone I dumped all of my Rage heads.

It is not uncommon to double lung a deer and it leave no blood trail. Many times exit wounds can clog with tissue or depending on the angle of the arrow a high exit wound will take a while to bleed out.

The location of the exit wound is very important. This is why I shoot a strong fixed blade broadhead. Fixed blades will shoot straight through a deer with little deflection while the moving blades of a mechanical will float or turn as it goes through an animal leaving the exit wound location up to chance. Again, being able to create a good exit wound is very critical to making a good blood trail.

Stick with fixed blades and I believe you will be happier in the long run.

Comment

it never hurts to try out a few different types , you need confidence in what you choose

Comment

Stay with fixed blade in my opinion. Add moving parts to anything and problems will arise eventually. I shot a nice buck last year with a Rage and had a great entry hole, but a very small exit hole.

Comment

I would use the 2 bladed rage it produces a super blood trail

Comment

I shoot the three blade Rage. I am fairly new to bow hunting, but have shot 6 deer so far. I have had no problems with the Rage heads. Fact is, all but one deer fell within view of my stand.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Mansion on fire.
                by 99explorer
                One of Jeffrey Epstein's mansions is on fire.
                It has three main rooms. One is full of money in cash, another contains valuable paintings, and the...
                Today, 10:04 AM
              • Firing squad.
                by 99explorer
                A man is shot by 12 members of a firing squad, and the squad officer administers the coup de grace with a bullet to the head.
                This final shot does...
                Yesterday, 09:07 PM
              • Lost in the woods.
                by 99explorer
                You are lost in the woods and come to a fork in the road.
                One path leads to civilization and the other will get you lost forever.
                Two Indians...
                Yesterday, 01:24 PM
              • Books on a shelf.
                by 99explorer
                There are several books on a bookshelf.
                If one book is fourth from the left and sixth from the right, how many books are on the shelf?
                08-21-2019, 02:19 PM
              • Mental arithmetic.
                by 99explorer
                A bat and a ball cost $1.10.
                The bat costs one dollar more than the ball.
                How much does the ball cost?
                08-21-2019, 11:57 AM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X