Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I heard it is not good to have a tree or two in your food plot. Is this true?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I heard it is not good to have a tree or two in your food plot. Is this true?

I heard it is not good to have a tree or two in your food plot. Is this true?

That can depend on a couple of factors. The main drawback is that it could shade out the crop you've planted right around it, but if it were a mast bearing tree, it would give the wildlife an additional course of food. Down here in the South, the live oak and some of the red oak varieties keep a lot of their leaves in winter and will shade out oats, clover, brassicas, etc., in the fall and winter plots, but they'll drop acorns. Larger leaved varieties such as sycamore will shed all their leaves, but those leaves can cover the plot and give problems. Even if the tree doesn't have a large, shady crown you may eventually kill it with your plow when you cultivate the plot, then you have a dead tree in the plot to contend with. All things considered, I'd say to take out the trees.

Comment

I agree with pineywoods. It also depends on what part of the country that you live in. If you live in an area, like Oklahoma where persimmons can grow like weeds, it is not a bad thing to have a couple of them growing on the northernmost edge of your food plot. Deer love persimmons once they sweeten up after the first freeze. Shoot, I like them too. And they will draw deer to your plot. Most of the other trees, not so much. I would not care for an oak tree, for the reasons that pineywoods mentions. Unless the tree is on the very northernmost edge of your food plot, it will interfere with your planting. You would have to consider the trade offs. The only tree that I can think of to consider would be a persimmon tree. But if they are not native to where you live, it doesn't matter.

Comment

True not a good idea to have a tree in your food plot. In my area come deer season it would have a hunter in it.

Comment

Depends on the tree and location. Many food plots around here have crab apple trees clustered in the center providing cover and late season mast.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Home Defense
            by jhjimbo
            If you are using your bird gun for double duty of house defense remember to remove the plug. Might as well have full magazine capacity. Also, I have...
            Yesterday, 02:15 PM
          • Pay it forward
            by fitch270
            I'm not sure how much interest this will generate but I figured I'd give it a shot and see how it goes. As a way of saying thanks for the help and entertainment...
            10-18-2020, 01:34 PM
          • Reloading Gear Order
            by fitch270
            I have a bunch of stuff in a cart at Midway and wanted to check with you guys before I place the order. A few things on the cheap side I want to make...
            10-17-2020, 08:31 AM
          • Ruger Oops! Round 2
            by dewman
            Asked girls if they want it. (Mk4 Hunter) No. We want another rifle so we aren't sharing the one single shot. Some phone calls and a pal & me meet...
            10-16-2020, 03:20 PM
          • Who hunts big game with a handgun?
            by Ernie
            Any handgun hunters here?
            Describe your hunting handguns (With Pics!) whether they be revolvers, semi-autos or single-shot specialty pistols.
            10-16-2020, 02:01 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X