Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm a new bowhunter (12), and when I shoot I can't keep my left arm still. I shoot right handed. Any suggestions on how to stre

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm a new bowhunter (12), and when I shoot I can't keep my left arm still. I shoot right handed. Any suggestions on how to stre

I'm a new bowhunter (12), and when I shoot I can't keep my left arm still. I shoot right handed. Any suggestions on how to strengthen my left arm.

push-ups and pull-ups. Get to where you can do 100 of each. Your arms will get stronger.
    If you start out at a low number and gradually add 2 or 3 each time, you can get there. Keep trying and don't give up.

Comment

Good call, Bo... although I will add a few suggestions for you young fellow. If you do not have access to a gym at home or school, here are some suggestions. Funny, I was thinking about posting some links for practical exercises as they pertain to hunters!
      Pull-ups/Chin-ups (palms facing in)- Works much of your upper body. FANTASTIC WORKOUT! With all of the weights in a gym, I still incorporate pull-ups at least twice a week into my own regimine.
      Dips- Works triceps.
      Chair dips- WARNING: MAKE SURE CHAIRS ARE STABLE! You can do these anywhere. Get two hard chairs. Place feet on the seat of one chair and your hands on the side of the other so your legs and butt are parallel to the floor with only your arms and feet supporting your weight. Lower your body until your shoulders are parallel with your elbows. If these become to easy, place weight on your lap for more resistance (I can perform this exercise with considerable weight on my lap, but a beginner should start out using only his/her bodyweight to avoid injury)
      Sandbag curls- Use filled sandbags as dumbbells. Fill with enough weight that you can do 8-10 repititions. Repeact 8-10 repititions 3-4 times with a minute of break in between. *Research different dumbbell lifts for biceps and triceps and perform them with sandbags at home.
      These are a few exercises you can perform to strengthen your upper body, however I suggest you talk to your school's strength and conditioning coach as physical fitness is a HUGE part of a healthy lifestyle. A coach should be able to provide you a program that involves total-body physical fitness and can advise you as to how to do other exercises in a manner that will keep you from injury. Good luck and stay safe!

Comment

Be very careful not to try to do heavy weight but more reps. At 12 you are still growing and you don't want to damage anything. One thing I'd like to know is what weight are you trying to pull. You might just be pulling too much weight on your bow. If you are shooting a bow now you should work on proper form at the wight you can pull comfortably before you start trying to increase your draw weight. Keep your left arm slightly bent, don't grip the bow, just use your left hand to cradle it.

Comment

In addition to the exercises listed above, when I got started bow hunting I would draw my bow and just hold it for a minute at a time. You can adjust the amount of time accordingly, maybe starting at 30 seconds for example if a minute is too hard. You can do this while watching TV if you wish and as it becomes easier just hold it longer. I started with one minute hold and repeated until my arm fatigued. Just be careful not to hit the trigger on your release and dry fire your bow.

Comment

Try learning isometrics, you can do these anywhere anytime. I really built up my arms around age 14 just pressing one palm to the other then reversing, then pulling both hands apart while hooking the fingers, then reversing. You can also put your hands behind your head and do the same pulls. Isometrics are using muscle against muscle rather than muscle against weight, with Iso's you get twice the workout as with weights. These are just a few Iso's you can do, it really helped me to strengthen up back in the day.

Comment

I'm 13 bud and I just started to. No wheights yet its not your strength DO NOT TORQUE YOUR BOW!!! the part on your hand between your index finger and thumb should rest on your grip.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Covid-19
                by jhjimbo
                Any indication a game animal can get the virus ? The news had a case of a dog in I think NC that got the virus.

Tucker Carlson had a guest...
                09-17-2020, 10:38 PM
              • Spur of the moment rifle
                by Amflyer
                I stopped in the local Scheels the other day so see about getting some IMR 4831. As a slow-ish old school powder I thought that the current buying craze...
                09-17-2020, 11:25 AM
              • The $20 Shooting Shack
                by fitch270
                So we’ve been doing some outside remodeling and dismantled some decking. The stuff wasn’t good enough to reuse on the house when we redo the decks...
                09-16-2020, 10:23 PM
              • When is it equipment vs when it is you?
                by dewman
                one of my range only pals stopped by last night. I showed him my new mk4 and he showed me his. He had spent a lot of $ on upgrades. A lot. Showed me some...
                09-15-2020, 08:42 AM
              • Dewman goes Teal hunting.
                by dewman
                So one of the farmers who doesn't hunt doves does hunt rails & snipe which opened the 1st, and teal which opened yesterday (Saturday). He asked me...
                09-13-2020, 04:48 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X