Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I've Been Hunting For The Past 12yrs. In The Last Two Years I Found Out About Lime Disease And How Fatal It Can Be, How Can I Av

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I've Been Hunting For The Past 12yrs. In The Last Two Years I Found Out About Lime Disease And How Fatal It Can Be, How Can I Av

I've Been Hunting For The Past 12yrs. In The Last Two Years I Found Out About Lime Disease And How Fatal It Can Be, How Can I Avoid The Infected Ticks, And Mainly Prevent Bringing The Ticks Home? E. Vallejo, Lawndale, CA

be careful when pulling them out and wash the wound.

Comment

Well, fatal is fatal. there are no degrees of dead. Check your clothes and your when you've been out, particularly around the cuffs, ankles, neck and waist. It is a good idea to have someone check you out when you're getting undressed. I have been known to get undressed in the garage and have my wife look me over in areas I can't see, back, etc. If you do find a tick, do not burn it off with a cigarette or anything else. When it gets heated up like that, it can cause it to explode injecting you with any disease organisms it may be carrying.
      The CDC has some recommendations, for those go to
      http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dvbid/Lyme/ There are multiple links to get a lot of info on Lyme Disease. It is bad stuff, it may not kill you, but an acquaintance of mine had it and for two years, until he was diagnosed correctly, almost would rather have died.

Comment

Keep your pants tucked into your boots, wear a long sleeve shirt, and give your clothes a brush off before leaving the field. You could spray some bug dope around the bottom of your pants or clothes, but there is the scent that bug dope has and could give you away to deer. When you get home check yourself for ticks. The parts of your body you can't see, like your back, have somebody look over those areas for you.

Comment

If possible wear light colored clothing: Realtree APG or Tan/Khaki. You can spot them easier. If you have pants that can be tied around the ankles (BDU or military style pants) Tie them and tuck em in.
          Tuck in your shirts and wear long sleeves. Ultra thon makes a lotion type bug dope that you can apply and not have to mess with sprays.

Comment

One more thing I can suggest if you do get one remove it or have it removed asap. Do not squeaze the tick. Use tweazers grasp behing the head and slowly pull it out careful not to leave the head embedded in your skin.

Comment

I take a strip of duct tape and run the sticky side up and down my pants, shirt and where ever I see/feel the critters, changing to a new strip when the sticky wears off. I then put all hunting cloths in to wash as not to allow any bugs to survive.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Home Defense
                by jhjimbo
                If you are using your bird gun for double duty of house defense remember to remove the plug. Might as well have full magazine capacity. Also, I have...
                Yesterday, 02:15 PM
              • Pay it forward
                by fitch270
                I'm not sure how much interest this will generate but I figured I'd give it a shot and see how it goes. As a way of saying thanks for the help and entertainment...
                10-18-2020, 01:34 PM
              • Reloading Gear Order
                by fitch270
                I have a bunch of stuff in a cart at Midway and wanted to check with you guys before I place the order. A few things on the cheap side I want to make...
                10-17-2020, 08:31 AM
              • Ruger Oops! Round 2
                by dewman
                Asked girls if they want it. (Mk4 Hunter) No. We want another rifle so we aren't sharing the one single shot. Some phone calls and a pal & me meet...
                10-16-2020, 03:20 PM
              • Who hunts big game with a handgun?
                by Ernie
                Any handgun hunters here?
                Describe your hunting handguns (With Pics!) whether they be revolvers, semi-autos or single-shot specialty pistols.
                10-16-2020, 02:01 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X