Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm an Ohio hunter planning on hunting black bear in the eastern states. I have a bolt action .270 Winchester would this be adeq

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm an Ohio hunter planning on hunting black bear in the eastern states. I have a bolt action .270 Winchester would this be adeq

I'm an Ohio hunter planning on hunting black bear in the eastern states. I have a bolt action .270 Winchester would this be adequate in getting the job done or should I look into purchasing a bigger more powerful chambering? If so what rifle cartridge set up? Any help would be great.

270 is plenty of gun, just make sure you use quailty ammo.

Comment

for sure it is my friend has shot several bears with a 6mm and a 7mm-08

Comment

The .270 would be fine. Do you handload? If so, there are premium bullets out there that you can use to handload with like Nosler Partition (150 or 160 grain) or the Swift A-frame (150 grain). The reason I choose those two is due to their 'H' construction; they are good in case you hit bone, for staying together, and penetration,. Of course there is quality factory ammo you can buy too, but I would stick with premium bullets.

Comment

I second what Johnnie said, get a good quality A frame bullet and you'll be fine.Most bear hunting in the East is done at relatively short distances, BUT bear activity is highest in the darkest times of the day.. dawn and dusk, so while shots maybe close, I would highly suggest a scope that picks up as much light as possible.

good hunting.

Comment

the 270 is plenty big for bear, just put a 200 grain shell in your gun you`ll have a bear down.

Comment

Go with the heavy bullet and shoot to vital area. When I was young friends in North Carolina whould craw into a cave and shoot them with a .38 pistol.

Comment

When I got sucked into the former in-laws black bear hunting rituals, all I had was a .270 & a shotgun in my arsenal. I did my homework and came up with this,(take it or leave it) #1 relax, shot placement, shot placement, SHOT PLACEMENT !!!
                #2 Use a "Bonded" bullet with .270 for Blk Bear, and nothing under a 150 grain Bullet.
                #3 If the opportunity presents itself for you to use a larger caliber, albeit even if its slower and a less range qualified caliber - (you hardly ever get a relaxed placement shot at an "Eastern blk Bear" at over 100yds) - then use it.
                I now use a .44 mag ruger lever action (open sights) simply for these facts. 1)deadly placement & effective power withing 100 yds. (killed a pig that dressed out at 160 lbs @ 30 yds running full bore and put the shot behind the lft ear and thru the right). (but would've been comfortable in the effectiveness of the caliber if the shot had been on bone even).
                2). Most of your bear hunting in the east will be these same conditions, (under 100yds and most likely running) (Trust me on this, if I'm lying I'm cryin !!) Be comfortable with "quick target aquisition if bear hunting in the east!!).

Comment

I have been on a few guided hunts in Canada where we were told to bring a least a 30-06 or better. One guy always brought something smaller (270,30-30). The hunts turned out OK for him but the guides were never impressed with his choice of calibers. My bear guns are 450 Marlin and 300 win mag.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Son of a Fitch; goin' mobile
                    by fitch270
                    Kid got his drivers license today, only points off were for not actually turning to look behind him when he pulled out from parallel parking. I told him...
                    Yesterday, 08:27 PM
                  • Unusual Sound
                    by jhjimbo
                    At camp in S. Ohio I was almost asleep and I heard the strangest howl-screech, bark that I have ever heard. Raised the hair on my neck. About 30min later...
                    Yesterday, 02:17 PM
                  • bedding on new rifle
                    by Amflyer
                    Finally painted some release and on the action and blocked the undercuts with clay. Was out of the commercial release, a vinyl paint on solution by Brownells,...
                    Yesterday, 12:22 AM
                  • Pictures blocked when logged out?
                    by fitch270
                    Can't quite figure this one out since it doesn't happen on F&S, if I'm not logged in posted pictures aren't showing up. Doubt its just me.
                    09-24-2020, 08:57 PM
                  • Son of a Fitch: turkey taxidermy
                    by fitch270

The kid put this together with his solo bird from this spring. He split a slice of maple for the mounting board, dried the...
                    09-23-2020, 07:43 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X