Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buckshott00
    replied
    So I personally believe that .280Rem is the ideal deer cartridge. Loaded up or down for anything in the cervid family, it is a cartridge that I believe is the best round for deer. I primarily hunt Large Northern Whitetail which are not as big as mule deer, but given the performance of this round especially optimized for a 163 or 165gr bullet, 200yds is still in the point blank range and will still have plenty enough power for an on the spot drop aka Boom-flop aka bang flop

Leave a comment:

• Buckshott00
    replied
    Originally posted by Jason Paiva View Post
    300 Win. Mag
    .300 win mag is a fantastic North American utility rifle

Leave a comment:

• Griz Hunter
    replied
    Originally posted by Jordan13 View Post
    7mm MAG
    I started off hunting mule deer with a .300 Win Mag, went to a 30-06 a few years later, and a few years later went to a .243 Winchester. The .243 is lighter, has less recoil, and is highly effective on mule deer. In my experience, it is probably the optimum caliber for mule deer and antelope.

Leave a comment:

• dereckthomas
    replied
    try 762 by 54

Leave a comment:

• Jordan13
    replied
    7mm MAG

Leave a comment:

• clayp1
    replied
    .264 Win Mag with 140 grain Nosler Partitions and 62 grains Retumbo powder.Drops them in there tracks.

Leave a comment:

• Kody
    replied
    I have shot mule deer with light calibers like the 7MM Mauser at ranges out to that distance and would not hesitate to use a 25-05, 270 or 30-06 of course. However, I have had occasions when I encountered muley bucks so big, so muscled up they looked like a well bred horse If I ever get the opportunity to get a rifle on such a mule deer you had better believe I will be using something with some knock down power. A 300 Winchester Magnum would be my choice..why?? because I own one, I shoot it well and I would want a 30 cal bullet of good construction still traveling at high velocity and high energy at 200 yards to do the job. Of course any cartridge with similar ballistics would serve as well. The point is simply, if you get the chance at the buck of a lifetime you don't want to use a marginal cartridge.

Leave a comment:

• Big O
    replied
    .30-06/.308 both will work at that distance(have for me) out to the 350yd range.
    Good luck and Good hunting.

Leave a comment:

• nickd56
    replied
    I'm a big fan of the .270WSM....flat shooting and hard hitting - great overal ballistics and not alot of recoil...I use a 130 grain Nosler and have had some great luck with it!

Leave a comment:

• Cgull
    replied
    My 270 WSM works great for such shots.

Leave a comment:

• muskyhunter
    replied
    Choosing the right caliber is only part of the equation that one should consider. I truly believe in the old saying about choosing one that you will be able to shoot well. Choosing quality ammunition that is made for the game you are pursuing is equally important to caliber in my opinion (obviously shot placement...blah, blah). I know guys that hunt w/30-06 rifles and hunt with the cheapest ammunition they can find at Walmart, then can't understand why they couldn't find the deer or bear they hit. I took a good sized Colorado muley in 2005 at ~ 200 yards with my .270 Win. with a 130 gr. Nosler ballistic tip bullet. At the shot, he was nocked at a 90 deg angle, tried to take one step and his legs buckled w/o making another movement. I took a 250# black bear with the same rifle last fall that went maybe 15 yards w/a 130 gr. Nosler partion. You don't need to hunt w/a cannon.

Leave a comment:

• Jason Paiva
    replied
    300 Win. Mag

Leave a comment:

• Remington Metric
    replied
    What defines “best”? Availability of ammunition, moderate recoil, component options for the reloader, several rifle manufacture options for a particular caliber? If I were going to recommend a non-magnum rifle for someone who wanted to go hunting Mule Deer I would recommend the .280 Remington. It’s a modern caliber factory loaded to assertive pressure limits that can be found almost anywhere ammunition is sold. As an added bonus the recoil is very manageable with a wide variety of reloading components being available. If you wanted to go with a magnum length action the 7mm Remington is the way to go if you want more power with a little more recoil. For people interested in short actions the 7mm-08 Remington will perform to any level the shooter needs.

Leave a comment:

• CCMJS
    replied
    30-06 is my choice.

Leave a comment:

• wilson
    replied
    I would use a 300 magnum or a 30/06.

Leave a comment:

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget