Which rifle for these?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which rifle for these?

I’m thinking the .45/70 for knockdown power and quick follow ups. Might need a bigger freezer.

Been a few years but the neighbor’s fences aren’t up to snuff yet again. These got out last Monday and have been loose until at least yesterday morning, still getting pics. No fences up there so they’ve been all over several other neighbors as well. Good thing I hadn’t put much into food plots this year or I’d be wiped out. Was worse several years ago, about 30 horses were up there continuously for two days hammering on what I had planted, limed and fertilized.

Worst part is they aren’t even the neighbors, they’re renting out pasture. The guy keeping them there has been running ragged trying to get them back. He ain’t happy either and has apologized profusely. I’m trying not to be a hard ass but damn, if you’re keeping large animals do your fencing right.

A0EDB846-3607-4801-903A-B12DAD30E6B1.jpg

Heck I’d walk them back. I like pushing beef

Comment

Originally posted by dewman View Post
      Heck I’d walk them back. I like pushing beef
      We tried that on Wednesday, it didn’t work out so well. I’d taken the guy up to give him an idea where they’d been and we happened to catch them right in front of that camera. They started down then took off on us. He’s had calls about them since but hadn’t been able yo catch up with them. Camera shows they keep coming back.

Comment

I’ve worked stock half my life. Older brother in Colorado still does. I promise they ain’t smarter than you. No one has a 4 wheeler? Couple guys jumping in and out of a truck should be able to stay up easy. Pick the easiest route back. Good luck cowboy. 🤠

Comment

Look for the "bell cow"!
          She'll be the one that throws her head on the air like a deer when she senses "human" and takes off like a scalded ape!
          Shoot that witch and the others will calm down.....unless she's imbued that trait on the rest of the herd.

Comment

That's got to be frustrating. I know you have to get along with the people across the fence, but I think maybe Frost had it right. Guess you could always send him a bill for pasturing his cows.

Comment

Originally posted by Amflyer View Post
              That's got to be frustrating. I know you have to get along with the people across the fence, but I think maybe Frost had it right. Guess you could always send him a bill for pasturing his cows.
              Won’t be a big deal unless it happens again during the season. They got out the weekend before the Kid left for college, we were working in the garage when they came feeding in the meadow bordering my front lawn. Their pasture is on the opposite side of the town road, not a good situation.

Used to be a common occurrence with more animals. Horses were the worst, would scare the hell out of you when they came in the yard and the kids were playing outside. As soon as they saw an adult they’d stampede out of Dodge. Were hell post holing the lawn as well.

Comment

Going back a few years, I kept several thousand pics in ‘12,’13 and ‘14 but quit saving them after that.

6292086E-8047-4E66-9E14-BB64F25F4ADA.jpg
                542A719A-C81D-4A6F-9CE3-0444C3831062.jpg

A1564093-383E-4706-9E32-9DE9FDFFAC16.jpg

Comment

One from when we found them earlier last week. Problem was they didn’t head down but went into the woods. I’d hung back while he went down for his truck to get grain for them. By the time he got back up they’d vanished.

Haven't seen the guy out looking for them so maybe he got them back. Two in particular were going to go away when he rounded them up.

EBC2F3BD-F2D7-4594-8817-0B7E35E8D61E.jpg

Comment

Almost lost a camera up top. A few pics were nothing but black. Not sure if he was checking out the camera or rubbing on the tree.

48FBCC9C-ED43-4543-A29B-BE9211272701.jpg

1D9ECF0B-DBA1-4B0C-A682-2DEC591B0D46.jpg

8B76C7ED-8135-49AD-9020-81E43854B2F8.jpg

Comment

In Hawaij, on one of the islands, they have feral cattle that they allow to be hunted.
                      "They," (the guides?) prefer that at least a .375 H&H class weapon be used. They are reportedly cantankerous and can be hard to put down and keep down.
                      A Hereford×Charlois cross Cape Buffalo? 🤔

Comment

fitch270, is there not a stockman's association or maybe a county animal control officer?

May not be the best for "neighbor relations", but Jiminy catwhiskers, the neighbor not controlling his livestock ain't very neighborly either! In fact, it's kinda crass/rude that he/she/they/them haven't been working to correct the problem either.

livestock ownership comes with responsibilities. One if them is containing the livestock and maintaining your fences.

"Good fences make good neighbors!"

Comment

Where l grew up, fence ownership was divided equally. Each owner is responsible for the half on the right side as you face the fence on your side. We signed a 5 year lease with our renters and paid for materials while the renter paid labor to replace several miles of fence last year.

Comment

If you buy/sell a piece of property, it's "normal" in this area to go halfsies on the new division fence.
                            My bil owns half of the property where we live. He has no intention of selling, using or returning to "his" share of the property.
                            After his dad passed, I asked him about going halfsies. No dice. If you want a fence, build it, but I'm not buying anything.
                            My "leaser" runs market calves on me, plants wheat pasture and takes care of the fences....PLUS being sure my 2 horses have hay in winter.
                            I'm too old, can't afford the equipment necessary to tend the property.
                            As a way to "pay" something, he built 2 lakes on the property last year and repaired the dam on a third. Probably $10K to $15K worth of dirt work.
                            The man has paid rent for years to come in my mind.

Comment

Quick follow up, when I checked cameras last weekend there were no cattle up there but had just one picture of a spike for the week. Other wise a doe with this years fawn and possibly last years as well were up there together most every day, one coyote regularly, a raccoon several times and 5 hen turkeys.

Will check again this weekend, I expect things will be getting back to normal.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget