6.8 Western

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6.8 Western

Really ? I just took a quick glance at the 6.8 and on paper it sure looks like my Remington 7mmMag. Not a whiskers difference. I have heard some complain about the 7Mag recoil. Maybe this is for them. I personally never feel the recoil when I shoot game. JMO .

The 6.8 Western parent case is the .270 WSM.
    Interesting to me is that the .308 Win case length is 2.01". The .270 WSM case length is 2.10".
    Why couldn't the 6.8mm Western be adapted to the AR10 platform?

1) I have heard, more than once, that the 7mm RM is no more than a noisy .270.
    Sure, the 7 Mag will handle heavier bullets than a .270 Win, but when the two are loaded with like bullet weights, the differences are moot.

2) Does resetting and reshaping the shoulder of a .270 WSM "REALLY" constitute a "new" cartridge?

3) The 6.8mm is the metric .270.
    They are experimenting with the 6.8/.277 caliber in several AR15 length cartridges. The .270 MSR for one.

I'm no physicist, but for what ever reason, the 6.8/.270 bullet/cartridge combos are really beginning to shine.

I haven't taken a lot of game with my 6.8mm Rem SPC, but I am impressed with it's performance.

Found this great article on the 6.8mm Western.
    Very interesting.

https://www.gohunt.com/read/skills/b...2021#gs.ugo7eg
    Last edited by FirstBubba; 02-24-2021, 08:52 PM.

Comment

It's not just about the case, twist rates for the .270 WSM are 1-10 where as the 6.8 Western are 1-7.5 - 1-8. It's all about using high BC bullets in a total package. Essentially they Creedmoored the .277 caliber.

https://www.outdoorlife.com/story/gu...nd-winchester/

Comment

Ho hum. The next caliber size to be "reborn". If Biden manages to subdue new AR production, a big if, this will disappear. Remember the ultra mags, countered by the short mags, then the super short mags, countered by anything that can be handily put in the AR platform? The Nosler cartridges, Ruger's proprietary rounds? Marlins for their lever guns? Winchesters for the same? My 7Rmag from 1974 maybe be beat here and there by a few fps or a couple of foot/pounds but nothing walking ever will notice and it's still a favorite of these new ultra long range rigs being built. It just can't sell magazines. It can still sell guns and kill critters like the wrath of God though. And for those who say it's "just a loud 270 and with like weights not so different", well duh. Heavier bullets were the idea for it in the first place. What do think the Creedmoors do to get their "glory"? Long HEAVY FOR CALIBER bullets with the proper twist to stabilize them. Something you can do to ANY cartridge. But remember physics. Double mass, doubles the energy. Double the speed, QUADRUPLE energy. You can't change physical law, nor can you cheat it. Shoot what you like and be happy. Non of anything you have will leave you lacking, including your old 30'06. My 2cents.

Comment

Originally posted by dewman View Post
          Ho hum. The next caliber size to be "reborn". If Biden manages to subdue new AR production, a big if, this will disappear. Remember the ultra mags, countered by the short mags, then the super short mags, countered by anything that can be handily put in the AR platform? The Nosler cartridges, Ruger's proprietary rounds? Marlins for their lever guns? Winchesters for the same? My 7Rmag from 1974 maybe be beat here and there by a few fps or a couple of foot/pounds but nothing walking ever will notice and it's still a favorite of these new ultra long range rigs being built. It just can't sell magazines. It can still sell guns and kill critters like the wrath of God though. And for those who say it's "just a loud 270 and with like weights not so different", well duh. Heavier bullets were the idea for it in the first place. What do think the Creedmoors do to get their "glory"? Long HEAVY FOR CALIBER bullets with the proper twist to stabilize them. Something you can do to ANY cartridge. But remember physics. Double mass, doubles the energy. Double the speed, QUADRUPLE energy. You can't change physical law, nor can you cheat it. Shoot what you like and be happy. Non of anything you have will leave you lacking, including your old 30'06. My 2cents.
          👍!
          Dead is dead!
          I've kilt 'em stone cold, grave yard dead with a .22 Hornet.
          Yer rite!
          Shoot what ya like!

Comment

I am not a 27 fan...I sure don't have a problem with those who like it, or those who want a new cartridge...

Comment

Dewman. At one time the big 7 using the 175gr could hit 3,000fps. Also, the 175gr bullets at the time, had the highest B.C. of any bullet.. I have some lighter bullets loaded but always go to the 175's.

Comment

Saw a pile of 6.8 Western and 6.5 RPM Weatherby ammo at the local gun store. I asked if they had rifles in either caliber? Nope....

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget