6.5-284 Borden/Alpine clone XP works great in the field - 588 yards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6.5-284 Borden/Alpine clone XP works great in the field - 588 yards

Dan Ekstrom and I have been looking for a shooter mule deer buck on public land.

For this area, Tuesday was the last day.

Borden Alpine clone XP-100 action, chambered in 6.5-284 with the 140 grain Nosler AB at 588 yards. Bullet worked great. He was slightly quartering toward us.

Right after the shot he moved to the left about 30-40 yards, and looked like he was going down...doing the wobble/stumble thing.

Given the fact that it was close to the end of legal shooting, and with Dan’s encouragement, I sent a 2nd one.

We discovered it wasn’t needed upon quartering him (the drops were spot on), but we wanted to be sure.

He will be nice and tasty.

Thanks to Dan for helping me pack him out-Quartered him in the field. It was late thirty when I go home.

Michael DeLoach of Nine Run Gun built this Borden Alpine clone XP and it hammers! Brux barrel, Holland brake, Dell trigger, McMillan stock, Burris XTR-III 3.3-18x50 with the SCR MOA reticle. It shoots so good it is just wrong!

Very nice rig! I'd need to hunt powerlines here in Alabama to get an opportunity that far away. Most of my shots are around 60 yards.

What's the weight of the gun and is recoil significant with the 6.5-284?

Comment

I'm always intrigued by the hardware you display, the distances you shoot and the cartridges you come up with.
      Good shooting!
      Good eating!

Comment

Congratulations Mr. Ernie. Nice buck, your pistol is a beast!

Comment

Originally posted by PigHunter View Post
          Very nice rig! I'd need to hunt powerlines here in Alabama to get an opportunity that far away. Most of my shots are around 60 yards.

What's the weight of the gun and is recoil significant with the 6.5-284?
          Not sure on weight.
          This is a lighter weight taper on this barrel than most of mine.
          With the Holland Radial Baffle brake recoil is not much at all.

Comment

Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post
            I'm always intrigued by the hardware you display, the distances you shoot and the cartridges you come up with.
            Good shooting!
            Good eating!
            It is fun doing things with different handguns in different cartridges.
            Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by dewman View Post
              Congratulations Mr. Ernie. Nice buck, your pistol is a beast!
              Thanks!
              It is so easy to shoot!
              We would start all of you guys at 400-500 yards on steel, and it would get boring how easy it would be to hit the target.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Sight in
                by fitch270
                It’s only two weeks until the youth deer weekend so it was past time to get my daughter’s m700 .243 dialed in from the scope swaps I did a few months...
                09-25-2021, 08:38 PM
              • A couple 😡😡 from the range yesterday
                by dewman
                First, my 2001 Leupold vx2 crapped on me. I mean bullets flying everywhere. Had to burn more ammo I didn't want to determining it was indeed the scope....
                09-24-2021, 09:25 PM
              • Gear overload?
                by fitch270
                I’ve been thinking about this since my gun show post over on F&S. May have to cross post for more feed back but in the spirit of our earlier discussion...
                09-22-2021, 09:26 PM
              • 7mm-08 range time
                by dewman
                Almost sold this one because I couldn't get it under about 2". Then sitting at home I thought hmm, I've only been using 120gr because I have mostly...
                09-22-2021, 08:18 PM
              • Cool gift
                by fitch270
                At work today I was given this hand made slate call from one of my accounts. He’s a retired butcher, outdoorsman and former baseball coach. He also...
                09-21-2021, 07:40 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X