Ever had a Failure Hunting Big Game ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ever had a Failure Hunting Big Game ?

In the Adirondacks I was deer hunting and climbed a small mountain in the morning. On top the scope on my Remington 742 looked like looking out through a shower door.
    Took it off so I could continue hunting the threw the thing as far as I could. It was a cheap Japan scope (did not have much money in those days). Went out and bought a Redfield 3X9 that I still use today about 60 years later.

I've had many failures hunting big game.

Perhaps the worst was back in the day, hunting out East. I was just getting started, hiking at the foot of a mountain, when out of nowhere, a riflescope came whistling in and damn-neared took my head off. Some jerk threw it off a mountain, I guess. Probably some rich guy, didn't care about his stuff.

Oh well, whaddya gonna do?

Comment

Only clothes tearing come to mind and that was when I was much younger and poorer. I've always shot enough that most problems happened when I was practicing or sighting in, and yes money issues were behind them. I'm lucky I was taught early to pay for all the quality I could afford and then just a little bit more. I grew up with all the folks that ran the little bank branch in town and a personal loan to get guns wasn't all that rare. Settling is something to be avoided. Taught my kids not to compromise either.

Comment

Failures!?
        If you've never had a failure in the field, you ain't been in the field enough times! LOL!
        It's the nature of the beast!
        Stuff happens!
        High dollar equipment "can" fail just like cheap crap sometimes works extremely well.
        It's nature. Be prepared! It WILL happen.....in time!

Comment

I had a nock point slip and cause a miss.
          Bow shot fine in practice.

One nock set was always enough, up til then.
          New nock set (with another above it) and no more slip.

Think the type of serving material may have added to the issue.

Comment

I've had a few.

> Handload .308 round failed to fire, the primer was set a little too deep for ignition - I'm now very careful about that

> Remington 7400 failed to feed the next round out of magazine after I'd just missed a big buck - sold it and bought another that's reliable

> Electronic muzzleloader failed to ignite the Pyrodex pellet charge - now I use loose powder with no problems

> Flashlight batteries failed just as I hefted my climber for the 1/2 mile walk back to the vehicle through unfamiliar woods - now I carry backup

> Broadhead had pulled loose from my arrow as I was working through thick brush, approaching pigs. That lighter, headless arrow sailed cleanly over the sow's back

> Tried new camo netting for my blind and the sight of it spooked the first deer that came along - apparently it was too shiny and new

> One rainy morning, about 30 feet up a pine, the upper part to my climber suddenly came apart. Fortunately the bottom held and I was able to 'coon' back down the tree

> Got to my hunting spot one cold morning after an hour drive to discover I'd left my boots at home. Had to hunt wearing sneakers and it was very uncomfortable

> Once I mistakenly loaded a Mosin Nagant with a .243 round and missed a nice buck at 40 yards. Sometimes I hate myself.

Comment

Hiked up to my bow stand years ago, got settled in nice just to realize my release was sitting on the front seat of my truck. It was too late to try and retrieve it for the remainder of the evening so I sat there. Fortunately nothing came by, but to this day my release is either strapped on my hand or my bow.

Comment

Grab a compass I had not used before and headed out hunting First time I looked at it I discovered both ends of the needle were the same. Same shape and same color. Kinda hard to navigate on overcast day/evening. Looked at a lot of tree moss that day.

Comment

Most of my malfunctions were forgetting something of losing gloves in the field. I have several pairs of stylish mis-matched gloves.
                  PH- your “primer set too deep” was probably due to improper headspace on the shoulder causing the firing pin to drive the primer in without setting it off. Pretty hard to set a primer too deep unless the primer pocket is too deep to start with. I suppose the primer could have been a bit short also. Happy Trails

Comment

Originally posted by WA Mtnhunter View Post
                    Most of my malfunctions were forgetting something of losing gloves in the field. I have several pairs of stylish mis-matched gloves.
                    PH- your “primer set too deep” was probably due to improper headspace on the shoulder causing the firing pin to drive the primer in without setting it off. Pretty hard to set a primer too deep unless the primer pocket is too deep to start with. I suppose the primer could have been a bit short also. Happy Trails
                    WAM, I'm guessing the primer pocket was just a tad too deep in the brass. Some of the primers were below flush.

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post
                      Grab a compass I had not used before and headed out hunting First time I looked at it I discovered both ends of the needle were the same. Same shape and same color. Kinda hard to navigate on overcast day/evening. Looked at a lot of tree moss that day.
                      I hunted with a friend for the first time in a Wildlife Management Area. We were in my pick-up and I'd used a hide-a-key magnetic holder to put the keys under a fender in case he returned from the morning hunt before me. At lunch I'd slipped that hide-a-key into my pants pocket, not realizing my compass was also there.

For the afternoon, my friend and I once again split up and I hid the truck keys as before. I enjoyed the last light at sunset but hadn't seen any deer in that little valley I'd chosen to watch. Pulling out the compass to get a bearing back to the truck, it occurred to me that according to it, the sun had just sat in the East. The hide-a-key magnet had reversed the polarity of my compass!

Comment

Originally posted by PigHunter View Post

WAM, I'm guessing the primer pocket was just a tad too deep in the brass. Some of the primers were below flush.
                        I always set my primers below "flush". The only misfire I've had was a dud primer.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Sight in
                          by fitch270
                          It’s only two weeks until the youth deer weekend so it was past time to get my daughter’s m700 .243 dialed in from the scope swaps I did a few months...
                          09-25-2021, 08:38 PM
                        • A couple 😡😡 from the range yesterday
                          by dewman
                          First, my 2001 Leupold vx2 crapped on me. I mean bullets flying everywhere. Had to burn more ammo I didn't want to determining it was indeed the scope....
                          09-24-2021, 09:25 PM
                        • Gear overload?
                          by fitch270
                          I’ve been thinking about this since my gun show post over on F&S. May have to cross post for more feed back but in the spirit of our earlier discussion...
                          09-22-2021, 09:26 PM
                        • 7mm-08 range time
                          by dewman
                          Almost sold this one because I couldn't get it under about 2". Then sitting at home I thought hmm, I've only been using 120gr because I have mostly...
                          09-22-2021, 08:18 PM
                        • Cool gift
                          by fitch270
                          At work today I was given this hand made slate call from one of my accounts. He’s a retired butcher, outdoorsman and former baseball coach. He also...
                          09-21-2021, 07:40 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X