Seeing a lot of New Jersey deer but no antlers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seeing a lot of New Jersey deer but no antlers

I put out corn, sunflower seeds and bird seed.
    No bears to film with my iPhone.
    Attached Files

I know that's discouraging. I've got deer feeding in my yard at night and see them eating on the property at work in the mornings. But haven't seen a shootable deer at the lease.

Comment

The notice ‘This Area Closed To Black Bear Hunting In 2018’ should be a reminder to all sportspeople that anti factions have a very strong voice in our ability to be limited in our activities. We can not take them for granted and present ourselves as a dominate group ! Times and acceptance of our beloved sport are changing with accountability of the present thoughts of society (be it right or wrong) and we are now becoming the minority. We can no longer present ourselves as we wish and must find ways of protecting our rights against this growing unacceptance. Are there suggestions on doing this, or do we become our own worst enemies, spit in their face and worsen our position ??

Comment

Originally posted by PigHunter View Post
        I know that's discouraging. I've got deer feeding in my yard at night and see them eating on the property at work in the mornings. But haven't seen a shootable deer at the lease.
        We had a real heavy snowfall one day last week, up in the hills. Down below, it was rain or freezing rain. I hunted all morning and saw nothing. Driving the mile or so home, once I was down lower and everything wasn't covered with snow, I saw six or seven deer feeding right alongside the road. It was like a miniature, Eastern version of the elk moving down out of the mountains out West.

Comment

Originally posted by bowhunter75richard View Post
          The notice ‘This Area Closed To Black Bear Hunting In 2018’ should be a reminder to all sportspeople that anti factions have a very strong voice in our ability to be limited in our activities. We can not take them for granted and present ourselves as a dominate group ! Times and acceptance of our beloved sport are changing with accountability of the present thoughts of society (be it right or wrong) and we are now becoming the minority. We can no longer present ourselves as we wish and must find ways of protecting our rights against this growing unacceptance. Are there suggestions on doing this, or do we become our own worst enemies, spit in their face and worsen our position ??
          Flippant answer deleted...

Comment

PH, it is only rated flippant if it has no credibility regarding a credible answer ! Can we assume that is the reason for deletion ??

Comment

Yep. I don't have a good solution. Appeasement doesn't seem to help. Whatever we do will never hide the fact that we end up killing the prey. Doesn't matter if we post trophy pics or not. They will not be satisfied until everyone in the world becomes Vegan

Comment

Richard, here's what we are dealing with. Tell me, do you really think there's any way we can sanitize hunting enough to satisfy these people?

https://www.peta.org/issues/wildlife/wildlife-factsheets/sport-hunting-cruel-unnecessary/

Comment

Trying to come to terms with anti-hunters is like peace in the Middle East. It's irrational hate passed on. Facts have nothing to do with it. Common sense- nope, don't want to hear it. Biologists- don't trust them. Politicians who are in control don't care about right or wrong, only about getting elected and power. NEVER BE SILENCED AND NEVER LET THEM SHOUT YOU DOWN. Keep fighting Mr. D. You fight for all of us.

Comment

PH, I am not saying what needs to be done, only asking questions as to our stand and our response to the situation concerning the anti’s affect with their voices which are attracting much support in their cause to stop some aspects of our sport ! I am not advocating that we should give in, but we do need a course of action to deter them from further success in their goals. The sign concerning bear hunting is proof that we are in a dire situation if their actions continue to cost us support. Is that not worth a fighting response from us, and if so, what is it ??

Comment

We are losing the battle of public relations.
                      It is a sophisticated concept, and there are those among us who believe that it is a sign of weakness to care what others think of us.
                      This is the result.

Comment

Another flippant answer deleted...

Comment

If there are those who think the words on the yellow sign nailed to the tree are fake news, then this battle is already over and won by the antis. They have scored a major victory in their fight to knock us out of the woods, and with this success, they will not sit back and be satisfied with their victory. It will empower them to reap more results in their favor and with our non-confronting attitude, are we helping ourselves or them ? There must be ways that we can protect our sport without the simple response of saying they (antis) are of no concern, and especially after reading the sign of “closed to bear hunting” ! Their voices and actions are getting action !!! If this is not believed, then go to New Jersey and shoot a bear, I wish you luck in that little venture !!

Comment

Deer shift patterns routinely and we like to think some of it is due to hunting pressure, this is hardly ever the case. In most parts of the country the ruts past prime, but it's definitely not over. Deer naturally become more nocturnal later in the year, be on stand early and late. During the rest of the day still hunting or organized drives produce . Now is also a good time to use doe in heat scents hoping the breeding bucks will venture in to check. Although nothing is ever 100% these tactics and realizing deer rhythm has changed from when love struck bucks jostled for position of breeding rights.

Comment

Not much you can do about the bear hunt. I know what I would do if I focused on bear. Screw New Jersey , there are other places to hunt bear, who knows you might even decide to make that state your new home.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget