Ready to check my load

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ready to check my load

Marlin 1895M .450Marlin 18 1/2 barrel, Tally one piece ring/base, 1.5X4.5 Weaver steel tube scope
    Attached Files

Scope and mount tools I carry in my pack
    Attached Files

Comment

Nice Pixs jimbo.....That some Deer Cannon, I would like to see the entry hole & Exit Hole on your critter.Yes!

Comment

Originally posted by Treestand View Post
        Nice Pixs jimbo.....That some Deer Cannon, I would like to see the entry hole & Exit Hole on your critter.Yes!
        I had one of these in 2001 and if you hit a deer in the toe it was down. Sold it because all that was available at the time was pistol bullets.

Comment

I have a feeling you are not going to like the recoil. When Marlin first introduced its .444 back in the seventies, everyone in western Montana with compensation issues had to have one. A few years later the used shelves in the stores were full of them. And the orthorpedic surgeons there saw a similar surge in their practices too. I understand the .450 is a "modernized" version of the 45-70 (which Marlin also offers as well). Not sure what that means. Perhaps if it's low velocity the recoil won't be bad?

Comment

My buddy here in Montana hunts deer with 45-70 Marlin and though the entry and exit holes are large (and essentially identical), the bloodshot is almost nothing. I was surprised and impressed. Not a bad tradeoff in my opinion. A hundred yards is a stretch for that gun though.

Comment

Originally posted by Ontario Honker Hunter View Post
              I have a feeling you are not going to like the recoil. When Marlin first introduced its .444 back in the seventies, everyone in western Montana with compensation issues had to have one. A few years later the used shelves in the stores were full of them. And the orthorpedic surgeons there saw a similar surge in their practices too. I understand the .450 is a "modernized" version of the 45-70 (which Marlin also offers as well). Not sure what that means. Perhaps if it's low velocity the recoil won't be bad?
              I had the .444 and sold it because I could only get 240gr pistol bullets for it. They make a few more for it now. The .450 is belted, the 45/70 has a rim. The 45/70 operates at 18,000psi, the .450 at 36,000psi. The .450 shoots same 325 weight bullet as 45/70 about 300fps faster so it has a flatter trajectory. The .450 was developed because there are too many really old rifles for the 45/70 so it can not be loaded hotter. Recoil is not bad, but not to be shot from the bench. You have to lean into any of these high recoil rifles so the twist of your body absorbs the recoil energy. If you are already twisted back, they will knock you on your ass. I had one of the .450's in 2001 but now in Ohio they are legal for deer so got another. Any straight wall cartridge is o.k. for deer in Ohio.

Comment

The .450Marlin is about 300fps faster with a pointed bullet than a 45/70 (allthough Leverevolution bullets are loaded in some 45/70 ammo). I figure this .450 will be a solid 200yd range.

Comment

Well it can't be any different then a 12ga Brenneke Slug 12ga hole in a 10ga hole out. I hunted three seasons in Shotgun only area, and never lost a Buck Deer or Doe.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget