How do you check out your gear ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you check out your gear ?

Is it time to check everything for big game season ?

Vehicle
    Trailer
    ATV
    Canoe
    Hunt implement
    Electronics
    Clothing
    Tag(s)

How do you check things out ?

Comment

I check the normal items on the Xterra including the drive transfer cases.

I try on hunting clothes to see what's still good and what needs replacing.

Items are loaded into either a camo or an orange backpack, depending on if it will be an archery or a gun hunt. Updates are taken care of as needed.

Batteries are replaced in the GPS and flashlights. The cell phone backup battery is charged.

Firearms and crossbow sight-in are checked several weeks before hunting season.

The canoe dry bag is unloaded and repacked with the items needed for recovery and survival on the unlikely event of a capsize.

Comment

We live 7 miles from my lease all our gear stays in my 8/person trailer on the lease!! She dose all the laundry at our home, Except Rifles & Handguns they come home with us.

Comment

Originally posted by Treestand View Post
          We live 7 miles from my lease all our gear stays in my 8/person trailer on the lease!! She dose all the laundry at our home, Except Rifles & Handguns they come home with us.
          I'm an hour drive from the lease, will go home every night.

Comment

I just have the same generic waist-pack for everything. For different seasons I just make sure I change out my ammo and tags. In the car, I keep extras of everything, especially clothing, and a general "war bag," so anything that fails, or anything I forget, won't be any big deal. Plus I'm usually not far from home, so nine times out of then, it's no big deal, whatever happens.

Contents of war bag: Gorilla tape. Gorilla glue. Several types of pliers. Several coils of 550 cord. Large zip-lock bags full of first-aid supplies. Bungee cords. Regulations guides. Mini cookstove and fuel tabs. Metal cups. Lightsticks. Flashlights. Batteries. Wool socks. Wool hats. Wool gloves. Extra Thermax undershirt. Turkey box call. Copy of Jack London short stories. Bird field guide. Tree field guide. Large zip-lock bag of USGS topo maps. Compass. Deck of cards. A couple boxes of shotgun slugs and birdshot. Plastic trash bags. Clean zip-lock bags for meat or fish. Cans of sardines. Tea bags. Coffee singles. Packets of salt and sugar. Zip-lock bag of random repair aids (split rings, zip-ties, pieces of wire, bundles of string). Cleaning rod and patches. Rem Oil. Couple different multitools. God knows what else.

Comment

Originally posted by Treestand View Post
              When We go to the lease on a weekend we eat,sleep, hunt from the trailer it's so much easier then driving at night to our home, It lessens the chance of hitting a deer or Bear on the 3 mile Dirt Road before we get on I-10E 4 miles.

Comment

I have a large list made up on computer complete with check boxes (posted a picture of it a few years ago on F&S). I add and eliminate items from year to year as needed. For example I just added can opener, having forgot one for three years running. You can usually find the check boxes in symbols for word processor programs. I print the list up and mark everything off as I get stuff ready, usually throwing everything in a pile in living room and then loading in the Jimmy all at once. Stuff that needs looking after before loading or last to be loaded is circled so I don't forget to return to it later before leaving. Stuff is categorized too: i.e. personal items (passport, toiletries, clothing, etc.), hunting stuff (guns, ammo, ammo box, hunting pack with contents, etc.), vehicle stuff (jumper cables, tools, atlas, tire chains, hitches and balls, etc.), dog stuff (food, leashes, medicine, comb, toenail clippers, etc.). These days I can't remember what planet I'm on half the time so making a list is essential. Getting old sucks.

Comment

I have typed checklists filed by country and type of hunt. I also have a list indicating the order it is packed into my duffle bag and carry on bag, this list goes with me in my carry on pack. I also take with me an official looking file with all personal documents, copies of all regulations pertaining to my trip, plus the rules of the airline I am traveling as passenger. I try to smile and be patient. Once I get out of Los Angeles airport usually things work out. LAX takes great pride being the world’s worst airport to clear firearms, going and coming home.

Comment

Fortunately for me, my camp is right in the middle of the property and everything is right where I dropped it at the end of the season last year. Still, I find myself frantically running around collecting this and that on the evening before the opening day. Obviously, there is a clan of house trolls living there that specialize in moving and hiding stuff. I think I heard one the other night trying to seduce the cat.

Comment

Originally posted by pineywoods View Post
                      Fortunately for me, my camp is right in the middle of the property and everything is right where I dropped it at the end of the season last year. Still, I find myself frantically running around collecting this and that on the evening before the opening day. Obviously, there is a clan of house trolls living there that specialize in moving and hiding stuff. I think I heard one the other night trying to seduce the cat.
                      I have a small book I make entries in each time at camp or on the boat. The last line is anything I need to bring for the next use, things to be fixed, etc.
                      Then I start with the vehicle and ATV for anything that could shut me down. Batteries spare tires, fuses, maintenance needed, air compressor and tire repair kit, winter vehicle supplies with auto start burnz 0 matic torch for locks, shovels, tire chains, Then everything piled in one place and packed from there. Checked off only when packed and placed in vehicle. I am not that far from (12 mi.) a small town that I can get to in an emergency, clinic, decent hardware store.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget