Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My uncle and I are trying to find an outfitter for a rifle elk hunt next year. Where is the best place to go state and outfitter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My uncle and I are trying to find an outfitter for a rifle elk hunt next year. Where is the best place to go state and outfitter

Went on a guided archery elk hunt in southwest colorado last year and it was terrible. Out of 3 guys we seen 1 elk the first day and that was the only elk we seen the whole hunt. Looking for a good quility outfitter with high success rate/shot oppertunity. Thanks for any and all input!!!

Contact The Elk Ranch at 303-688-9412 or google the ranch for more information concerning them prior to contact. Did a unguided archery hunt there a few years ago, would recommend them highly. All that was told to me and my hunting partner prior to booking was upheld, never a problem. Area holds a lot of elk and is not a rough hunt in regards to terrain but being in shape is needed. The ranch lies between Craig and Meeker, Colorado.

EDITED: This is not high fence hunting, this is totally free roaming elk !

Comment

Subscribe to the publication, Huntin’ Fool, it specializes in western big game hunting advice. The status of various States and consultation services. Some States are more expensive, some easier to draw. Are you a meat hunter looking for a cow? Some terrain is easier than other States. Looking only for a trophy of a lifetime? I have taken three in Utah, but hard to draw. Check out, Huntin’ Fool, it is a good place to start. Hunting conventions can be helpful. Best of luck.

Comment

Originally posted by bowhunter75richard View Post
        Contact The Elk Ranch at 303-688-9412 or google the ranch for more information concerning them prior to contact. Did a unguided archery hunt there a few years ago, would recommend them highly. All that was told to me and my hunting partner prior to booking was upheld, never a problem. Area holds a lot of elk and is not a rough hunt in regards to terrain but being in shape is needed. The ranch lies between Craig and Meeker, Colorado.

Hank Williams Jr is in their video and in one day they estimate they say 500 Elk, open range.

Comment

Originally posted by bowhunter75richard View Post

The area in which this property is located is a great winter foraging area and late season hunts are excellent for seeing many, many elk. My hunt was in early Sept., and the number of elk was not nearly as extensive, but a good hunt none the less !

Comment

It's always a crap shoot, even for a good outfitter. Personally, if I saw one elk in a couple of days, I wouldn't be terribly disappointed. But then I always considered the experience of hunting them the reward, more so than actually shooting one. My brother has been hounding me to go hunting with him on a ranch in Montana where last year he and his friend and friend's son counted more than 180 head in four days. I am not interested for several reasons. First, I have shot thirteen and that's enough. I have no need for that much meat. No family left. Shooting an elk involves a LOT of follow up hard work. Devoting time to taking care of it is time away from hunting birds in the field with my dogs. I don't enjoy cutting up meat that much! The ranch does not allow public hunting and I prefer to take my game on the same playing field as everyone else. Getting something that way is a worthy achievement. And finally: Driving around on ATVs and seeing a hundred and eighty head of elk in four days? That's not hunting, it's shooting stuff. Track an elk or moose to it's bed or sneak up on one grazing so close I can see its eyelashes. Now THAT'S hunting. I have shot several nice moose, elk, and deer and have yet to attract them with anything. Not bait or calls or rattling. I chased them on the ground through their country on their terms. And I learned how to make it work. Here's one of them. Once you do it that way, driving around and shooting things from a vehicle or sitting in a blind just doesn't cut the mustard. Soon enough I won't be able to chase game any longer. But I'd rather hang it up than compensate with mechanization or technology.
            Attached Files

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X