Ear protection.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ear protection.

Do you use ear protection when you hunt with a firearm ?

After a few 3 shot ;groups I was ready to quit shooting my .340WbyMag. I was using ear plugs plus my electronic Walker muffs and the noise was too much. I can't imagine shooting at game without any protection - I would be deaf for several minutes. I fired my S&W .44mag under the range roof when I forgot my ear protection and could not hear for hours.

Comment

Speaking of "hearing protection", has anybody heard how the "Hearing Protection Act" is doing?
      Is it still tabled?
      I would be interested in a suppressor, but not with all the licensure and red tape involved at this point.

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post
        After a few 3 shot ;groups I was ready to quit shooting my .340WbyMag. I was using ear plugs plus my electronic Walker muffs and the noise was too much. I can't imagine shooting at game without any protection - I would be deaf for several minutes. I fired my S&W .44mag under the range roof when I forgot my ear protection and could not hear for hours.
        "WHAT?"

Comment

Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post
          Speaking of "hearing protection", has anybody heard how the "Hearing Protection Act" is doing?
          Is it still tabled?
          I would be interested in a suppressor, but not with all the licensure and red tape involved at this point.
          The Hearing Protection Act is being held at the committee level. Don't expect any movement before the mid-term election.

Comment

I learned the hard way about handgun hunting without hearing protection. Rang my ears for hours. A rifle is not as bad.

Occasionally, I'll use electronic muffs. Other times just ear plugs if I have time to insert them.

But, this coming season, I plan to use a suppressor on my .300 BLK and my 6.5 Creedmoor.

Comment

Not when I'm hunting.

I know it can't be great for my ears; but when I'm big game hunting, it's very rarely more than 1 sound impulse. I might consider something for upland and waterfowl.

It's just that I hunt with my ears. I listen so much when I'm in the field and I can't stand the feeling of stuff in or on my ears.

I would love for the suppressor bill to pass.

Comment

Originally posted by Buckshott00 View Post
                Not when I'm hunting.

I know it can't be great for my ears; but when I'm big game hunting, it's very rarely more than 1 sound impulse. I might consider something for upland and waterfowl.

It's just that I hunt with my ears. I listen so much when I'm in the field and I can't stand the feeling of stuff in or on my ears.

I would love for the suppressor bill to pass.
                I got tired of waiting on a fickle Congress. So, in February I started the process of getting a couple of suppressors. I'm expecting the paperwork to be approved this month. Will be shooting subsonic for the .300 BLK, supersonic for the 6.5 Creedmoor

Comment

Here's a quick reference to noise Decibel Levels. Hearing Safe for a firearm is less than 140 dB. The chart linked below shows an unsuppressed .308 to be about 167 dB and suppressed to be 133 dB.

20 dB – Leaves rustling
                  30 dB – Whisper
                  40 dB – Quiet library
                  50 dB – Moderate rainfall
                  60 dB – Normal conversations or dishwashers
                  70 dB – Traffic, vacuums
                  80 dB – Alarm clocks

OVER 85 dB FOR EXTENDED PERIODS CAN CAUSE PERMANENT HEARING LOSS DANGEROUS OVER 30 MINUTES

90 dB – Hair dryers, blenders, and lawnmowers, power tools
                  100 dB – Snowmobiles, MP3 players at full volume
                  110 dB – Concerts, car racing, and sporting events

DANGEROUS OVER 30 SECONDS
                  120 dB – Jet planes at take off AVOID OR USE HEARING PROTECTION
                  130 dB – Ambulances, jackhammers and fire engine sirens
                  140 dB – Gun shots, fireworks, and custom car stereos at full volume

Comment

Is it still tabled?
                    Kinda what I figured, ph.
                    No politician would want that floating around just prior to an election.
                    Even then, I really don't see alot if progress.
                    I don't figure they will ever drop the licensure or background check.
                    I don't figure we'll ever see national "reciprocity" either!

Comment

Originally posted by PigHunter View Post
                      Here's a quick reference to noise Decibel Levels. Hearing Safe for a firearm is less than 140 dB. The chart linked below shows an unsuppressed .308 to be about 167 dB and suppressed to be 133 dB.

20 dB – Leaves rustling
                      30 dB – Whisper
                      40 dB – Quiet library
                      50 dB – Moderate rainfall
                      60 dB – Normal conversations or dishwashers
                      70 dB – Traffic, vacuums
                      80 dB – Alarm clocks

OVER 85 dB FOR EXTENDED PERIODS CAN CAUSE PERMANENT HEARING LOSS DANGEROUS OVER 30 MINUTES

90 dB – Hair dryers, blenders, and lawnmowers, power tools
                      100 dB – Snowmobiles, MP3 players at full volume
                      110 dB – Concerts, car racing, and sporting events

DANGEROUS OVER 30 SECONDS
                      120 dB – Jet planes at take off AVOID OR USE HEARING PROTECTION
                      130 dB – Ambulances, jackhammers and fire engine sirens
                      140 dB – Gun shots, fireworks, and custom car stereos at full volume
                      For the young people, every assault on your hearing is cumulative. Stand in front of a speaker at a concert in your 20's or 30's and that damage will follow you into your 60's, 70's and beyond. On top of all the noise we are exposed to we also naturally lose some of our hearing as we age - after 50 years old about 5db per year is lost, in the high frequency range, first.

Comment

Maybe my science is out of date, but gunshots aren't just dangerous to the ears over 30 minutes of fire. It's cumulative damage with each shot, as my tinnitus will attest. I didn't used to, and in certain circumstances I still don't (like a .22 rifle) but I've made the kids where emuffs when squirrel hunting and I've picked up a set of game ears.

Comment

Is it still tabled?
                          Bubba, I've wanted a suppressor for years and saw the bill's passage being delayed. So, I went ahead with the purchase of the 30 caliber and the .22 rimfire suppressors. Sure, it cost me an additional $200 tax each but I'll have them in time for hunting season.

Consider this, with the passage of the Hearing Protection Act you will see demand skyrocket and that could affect price and availability. I jumped in there early and will soon be enjoying the results.

Comment

Not when I'm actually hunting, but always when patterning a shotgun or plinking with the .22.

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post
                              Bubba, brother Jimbo may have sensitive ears or a sissy. LMAO

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget