Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any good suggestions or photos for building a wooden corn feeder with a small roof behind my house?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any good suggestions or photos for building a wooden corn feeder with a small roof behind my house?

I remember going to Hickory Run, Pennsylvania and the house had a feeder in the back yard. In the middle of the night you get up to pee or get a drink and turn on the back lights and you would see blacks bears or deer.
    I miss that and I have woods behind me.

Are you planning on setting up your own livestream, Gary? Not sure how many people would watch, but it would be easily doable through Youtube even if you turned it on when you knew something was going to be there. -My vote would be to keep it simple. Can't tell if that is a metal or wooden roof in the picture, but two sheets of corrugated roofing and a wooden frame is about all this would take. I would personally make it so that the "troff" would be removable/replaceable.
    Attached Files

Comment

check with your local regs.

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post
        Jim, No permit needed on a wooden deer feeder holding a hundred pounds of whole corn. I didn't need a permit on a new 8 by 8 shed.

Comment

Big>G We had two like in the Photo made the same way, Only problem IT BRINGS IN HOGS :-(( I would Go with a Pole feeder up high on a pole my feeders hold 40lb of corn. look on YouTube can be made out of PVC.....;-))

Comment

Originally posted by JM1993 View Post
            Are you planning on setting up your own livestream, Gary? Not sure how many people would watch, but it would be easily doable through Youtube even if you turned it on when you knew something was going to be there. -My vote would be to keep it simple. Can't tell if that is a metal or wooden roof in the picture, but two sheets of corrugated roofing and a wooden frame is about all this would take. I would personally make it so that the "troff" would be removable/replaceable.
            JM, I think a black bear could flip that over like a surf board.
            I made need to install two by six extention ten footers on a 45 degree from the roof down to make it bear proof.
            Or nail the feeder side board to a large tree? Bears are like Olympic weight lifters. ? LOL

Comment

Originally posted by Treestand View Post
              Big>G We had two like in the Photo made the same way, Only problem IT BRINGS IN HOGS :-(( I would Go with a Pole feeder up high on a pole my feeders hold 40lb of corn. look on YouTube can be made out of PVC.....;-))
              Tree, So far there are no hogs in the northern part of New Jersey where the Bears are located.
              The turkey flocks will hog the feeder and bully the deer. ? :-))

Comment

If you don't plan on moving the feeder you could get your 4X4's, or whatever you're using for verticals, 3 to 4 feet longer than you need and just bury the balance.
                Bear proof AND you don't have to worry about the neighbors borrowing it. :-)
                Just be sure to use treated lumber.

Comment

Did you check with the game people? I can't believe in a residential area you can bait big game animals.

Comment

Yeah, I don't have much experience with curious bears, but surely cementing the corner posts a few feet would do the trick.

Comment

Jim, Its legal to bait deer and bear in New Jersey.
                      Animal rights activists Susan Kehoe won a court case for baiting bears behind her house.
                      Her attorney stated she has a NJ hunting license and a bear permit. The state allows baiting and there no requirements or laws stating bait must be four hundred and fifty feet from an occupied dwelling. Shotgun Slug Hunters must hunt four hundred and fifty feet from an occupied dwelling.
                      Judge ruled Not Guilty for baiting behind your house.
                      If the state were smart, they would get baiting added to hunting, from the same distance listed above. ??

Comment

Originally posted by Treestand View Post
                        Sorry I deleted my Q after reading Your Answer on Jimbo Q

Comment

JM, I was looking at online wood feeders because I didn't get many suggestions here. I came across the online photo you posted.
                          You sneaky Devil. ?
                          I believed it was your wooden feeder. LOL

Comment

Gary, your neighbors are going to be pissed if you get deer that will eat their flowers, etc. and bears that they might be scared of. Also what about attracting other animals like coons. A lot of people try to keep those animals away from their house. I would not mind, but I know some who would.

Comment

Take a look at #7 . Bear proof ?

https://huntspot.com/diy-homemade-deer-feeder/

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget