Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If you were hunting east coast black bears in a tree stand would you pee out of your stand?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If you were hunting east coast black bears in a tree stand would you pee out of your stand?

I found this online.

"Bears are thought to have the best sense of smell of any animal on earth. For example, the average dog’s sense of smell is 100 times better than a humans. A blood hound’s is 300 times better. A bear’s sense of smell is 7 times better than a blood hound’s or 2,100 times better than a human."
    Attached Files

I would, because studies have shown that the compounds that identify urine as belonging to a specific animal (in this case, a person) break down within minutes, and after that it all smells the same. Don't ask me how they came to this conclusion, but it is legit.

Comment

I don't do it hunting deer, so I don't reckon I'd do it hunting bear, either. Ziplock bags are cheap---why take the chance?

Comment

I never worry about odor unless I'm about to run over a skunk or headed to a social function...not necessarily in that order.

Comment

Originally posted by huntfishtrap View Post
          I would, because studies have shown that the compounds that identify urine as belonging to a specific animal (in this case, a person) break down within minutes, and after that it all smells the same. Don't ask me how they came to this conclusion, but it is legit.
          HFT I don't know if I buy that, I can smell the difference between dog urine , cat urine and human! I can smell the difference days later also! Not arguing with you jmo

Comment

I don't think it's a good idea ! I'm not sure if it makes a difference but I wouldn't bet on it !

Comment

The studies might've been specifically in regard to human vs. deer urine, because I read about them on a deer hunting website. But I personally still wouldn't worry.

Comment

This Q,comes up time after time on Deer&DeerHunter Mag Q & A there is NO difference between Human & Animal Urine, So Pee on your Tree or Off your Tree!

Funny Story I was in Ga on a 25'ladder stand peeing on the tree.When a Buck sniffs a Doe! well my BUICK was out I shot the Buck the Doe turned to the buck & shot her, then my BUICK went back in side. No lie GI.

Comment

I use an empty Gatorade bottle and pack it out to the truck and dump it there. Rinse repeat. Happy Trails

Comment

I will agree there is a big difference between dog and cat urine. BWT being said, since humans are neither of those, I do not think there is much to worry about.

Comment

Originally posted by WA Mtnhunter View Post
                      I use an empty Gatorade bottle and pack it out to the truck and dump it there. Rinse repeat. Happy Trails
                      Wam, I am a Gatorade fan in my tree stand also. I take in an empty bottle in case I need to pee out my morning coffee.
                      I also take in a filled red punch Gatorade bottle for drinking at lunch time. Dumped the pee in the woods when I get back to my SUV.

Comment

Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post
                        I never worry about odor unless I'm about to run over a skunk or headed to a social function...not necessarily in that order.
                        Last season, my torn knee was bothering me, so I hunted the ground. Many users stated ground or tree stand hunting doesn't matter with seeing big game animals. I saw no Bears on the ground, but I saw plenty of bears in my tree stand. Go figure that out.

Comment

I climb into my tree stand with rubber boots and rubber gloves on. Trappers wear rubber gloves on fox, wolves and other fur bearing animals. A bear has a better nose. I would never pee morning coffee or evening whisky out of my tree stand.
                          Here is a poem, "when in doubt take it out."

Comment

Originally posted by country road View Post
                            I don't do it hunting deer, so I don't reckon I'd do it hunting bear, either. Ziplock bags are cheap---why take the chance?
                            I agree with you CR. Ziplock bag scares me a little with a small leaking hole over a the tough plastic Gatorade bottle with the wide mouth is nice :-))

Comment

Originally posted by Pmacc60 View Post
                              I don't think it's a good idea ! I'm not sure if it makes a difference but I wouldn't bet on it !
                              P60, right on brother.
                              Bears smell deer, rabbit, fox and other animals pee all year round in the bear woods.
                              Humans show up one month of the year, with morning orange juice pee.
                              Blackie knows the different.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Gun show today
                                by fitch270
                                Had another one of those close but not quite encounters today. One of the things I’m keeping an eye out for is a compact model rifle for my daughter...
                                08-14-2022, 09:45 PM
                              • Beater .44 mag
                                by CD2
                                My dad got this rig way back. And he shot the crap out of it. 255gr cast about all it ever ran and medium hot. All the time.

I inherited...
                                08-14-2022, 11:42 AM
                              • Eatin ‘chuck
                                by dewman
                                Took out a couple woodchucks this week. Things tunneled all over under a pals shop and equipment. Might still be a couple more. He asked can they be eaten....
                                08-13-2022, 07:19 PM
                              • Parallax adj
                                by CD2
                                Somebody wanted my Leupold VX1 3-9x a while back and figured Id get a new Freedom .22 lr model to replace it.

Bud never came for scope and...
                                08-07-2022, 06:22 PM
                              • TriggerTech installed
                                by fitch270
                                First off an apology, the lens protector on my cellphone case is getting scuffed up so pics aren’t so clear.

Mailman brought this yesterday,...
                                08-06-2022, 10:09 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X