Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What does a hundred pound bag of feed corn cost in your state?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What does a hundred pound bag of feed corn cost in your state?

I understand not every state allows baiting during the hunting season like New Jersey, but some states like Alabama allows you to bait up to ten days before the hunting season.
    Attached Files

Almost all Wal-Mart's in Florida sell feeder corn $7.49 a 40lb bag, Feed & Grain stores get $10.00 for a 50lb sack. And Florida allows baiting all year round.

Comment

I get a hundred pound bag of corn for $17.00 from a local corn farmer.
      Just wondering is it cheaper in the corn states like Iowa and Illinois.
      When I drove out west across those states there was nothing but wall to wall corn fields.

Comment

I think about $7 per 50lb at the feed store.

Comment

I just bought a 50 lb. sack at the farmer's co-op at Leroy, AL, for $6.80. They'll give you a price break if you buy a ton or more. The baiting situation in Alabama is ridiculous---it is more or less illegal, depending of a certain set of circumstances, but the little feed and seed stores make lots of money selling corn during the deer season. It's all that keeps some of them in the black.

Comment

No clue. Baiting is illegal here in IA, and if I want corn for some other legitimate purpose, I can go grab some out of the bin.

Comment

I've never used bait and am not sure what Kansas regulations are regarding the subject.
              Any corn I've seen in stores usually retails for $6-7 for a 40 pound bag, which as a farmer, is expensive considering corn is currently worth about $3.50 per bushel(56 pounds) at the local ADM grain elevator.

Corn vending machine.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Devine View Post
                I get a hundred pound bag of corn for $17.00 from a local corn farmer.
                Just wondering is it cheaper in the corn states like Iowa and Illinois.
                When I drove out west across those states there was nothing but wall to wall corn fields.
                We can get whole corn+cracked corn for much cheaper...I think a 50# bag is 5.99 or less if memory is correct. Not sure if they do bulk deals since I've never asked. We are allowed to bait, but it has to all be gone weeks before the season starts, so much less demand here.

Comment

I don't know. I will say that baiting is illegal here, and I caused a lot of faces to go red at the local feed store a couple of years ago when I stopped in to grab chicken feed after a morning hunt, dressed for early season archery. Young lady looked up from the counter and immedialty said "Deer Corn, how many?" to which I replied thinking it was just amusing "What about me just screams poacher to you?" not realizing there were a bunch of guys waiting for their orders of same to come up to the dock. I'll admit, I enjoyed myself a lot more due to their clear discomfort.
                  To be clear, if it's legal where you are do what you like, but it's not here.

My thinking on it is that it turns into an arms race between neighbors where whitetails are concerned. 50 years ago people probably started hauling a 5 gallon bucket into the woods every few days, drawing deer from their neighbors, who in turn have to bait to turn the tide. And then it becomes more and more feed and more efficient methods. But I'm looking at it as an outsider, so what do I know.

Bear are different. I've never bear hunted, and I've seen more than a few bear, but never while hunting. Even in areas that I'd see a lot of sign. I can see the need to tip the scales in bear hunting in the most predictable way possible. Also considering how far bear hunters are often travelling to do it, it doesn't strike me as lazy.

Comment

I pay $16 for 100 pounds for chicken feed. Some Crow some Gobble.

Comment

It's been a few years since I put out anything like that for deer. I used to buy it at a local farming store and 100# was usually around $9. That was when I was 16 and just wanted to get deer in front of my stand. Now I get just as much enjoyment from trying to find the perfect places to hunt and having the deer come by naturally. But if baiting is legal in your area and you enjoy it, by all means have at it!

Comment

I think tractor supply has a 50lb bag for $14. Seems a bit steep, but I could probably find it cheaper if I look.

Comment

Here at walmart dear corn 5.99 40lb bag, Whole corn from feed store 6.99 50 lb bag, We can feed Year around here in Texas,
                          Attached Files

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X