Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If the financial and logistical hurdles were not a problem, would you go on an African safari?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ontario Honker Hunter View Post
    Financial and logistical issues are not a problem for me but the more I know about it, the less inclined I am to consider a hunting trip to Africa in the current environment. I prefer tracking and stalking to drive around and shoot or sitting in ambush till something comes to bait or water. I also prefer to hunt alone. It's the way I have always done it. Hunting pheasants on publicly accessible land in Montana with my dogs is a tough act to follow. I think I have found nirvana. Getting guns, ammo, even money in and out of Africa has become too complicated. And then there's the dangerous lack of security in some of those places ... and just about every airport in between!
    If you've never been there how can you make an intelligent opinion?

Comment

Originally posted by 6phunter View Post
      Hell yea,Cecil 2 would be in trouble
      6P, that's the way to poke the snake, LOL!

Comment

Originally posted by huntfishtrap View Post
        Thanks for all the interesting responses so far. For me personally, I have little interest in ever hunting in Africa. I would love to visit the continent and see the sights, but hunting...no. I'm not sure I can articulate why I feel that way, but it's due to a combination of reasons.
        HFT, sometimes you're a little too much with all your self-imposed hunting restrictions.

Comment

Originally posted by Pathfinder1 View Post
          Hi...!!

Yes, but NOT to hunt...!!
          What other reasons would there be to go there?

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post
            I would go on a photographic safari only.
            Why is that Jimbo?

Comment

Originally posted by Kody View Post
              An African hunting safari was certainly worth it for me. As mentioned by others, you must be prepared to spend a bundle. Relative to paying for a guided hunt in North America for a single big game animal the African alternative is better value. Of course, we have the luxury of hunting public lands in Canada and the US which eliminates the big dollar price tag. However, in my hunting area (Alberta) that opportunity is rapidly getting challenging. Many of the big game tags now can only be acquired by draw and that can have you waiting for years. Personally, I would have hesitated in choosing to go on a safari if I had not experienced fairly extensive hunting experiences on this continent. For me taking that trip later in life was a chance to enjoy new adventures. My wife and I enjoyed so much more than the hunting. The people, the landscapes, the climate, the birds, the vegetation, even the insects were of interest because it was all so new. As a particular bonus and of great value, you have your rifle on so many game animals prior to actually choosing to pull the trigger you can't help but benefit. Holding the crosshair on those animals and visualizing the shot placement while considering their anatomy will prepare you ever so well for the taking of the animal that might otherwise rattle your composure. Anybody that dreams of such a hunt is a fool not to prepare thoroughly in advance. While you might imagine simple shots with the animals broadside in open areas at mimimal ranges such is often not the case. Practice, practice and practice some more so that you are absolutely confident in your firearm and yours skills. Use premium ammo such as Swift A Frames or copper rounds that take the performance a step beyond the Nosler A Frame. The animals are crazy tough and the shots frequently long and/or require that rifle to hit your shoulder and fire quickly. Perhaps this is not the case on immature animals but a big mature kudu slips in an out of that bush and does not stick around once he has you. I did practice prior to going and my rifle just deadly so it went well. Nevertheless, I tell you in all honesty if I had known how difficult some of those shots were going to be I would have been nervous.
              As for travelling with firearms I disagree with the previous comments. Flying through London and other European centers with firearms IS a hazel., No problem if they are being forwarded throught to the next connection but have a problem or wish to stay over for some extra tourist time and those firearms might as well be an anchor tied to your ankles as you go overboard. They also give unscuplous local officials in various African nations the opportunity to mess with you as they check your firearms. No, you are not in Alberta or Texas when it comes to checking in your hunting rifles in those exotic places. The guns can be a pain in the you know what!!!
              Kody, well said and thanks for taking the time to relate your experiences. Couldn't agree more about having a good excuse to buy a large bore rifle!

Comment

Yes, I would go in a heartbeat and join the hunt with my brother and grandnephew next Spring.
                Attached Files

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X