Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

There is a digital mapping company that put all the location information of B&C and P&Y entries onto their GPS chips. With one these in your GPS, you can go to the exact location where the trophy was taken. Good idea?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• There is a digital mapping company that put all the location information of B&C and P&Y entries onto their GPS chips. With one these in your GPS, you can go to the exact location where the trophy was taken. Good idea?

There is a digital mapping company that put all the location information of B&C; and P&Y; entries onto their GPS chips. With one these in your GPS, you can go to the exact location where the trophy was taken. Good idea?

As far as a bit of interesting information in regards to location, yeah.
    But I just wonder if this might lead to trespassing into those locations
    by those looking for offspring bucks ! It could maybe be only a small
    number of incidents, but do we need any ? If it is found that areas
    have produced more than their share of record bucks, it could lead
    trophy hunters to seek permission in those areas to hunt and that of
    course would be okay. I would have to think most of these animals
    would come off private land and not public lands due to hunting pressure.
    However, it might be a good starting point in helping one so inclined to
    locate larger bucks, maybe !

Comment

Terrible idea. There are so many potential problems with that kind of information being publicly available that I don't know where to start. It could lead to an increase in trespassing, poaching, out-of-staters coming in to lease ground, etc. etc. It makes me even more reluctant to ever have a deer officially scored than I am now. And if on the off chance I did shoot a deer big enough that I would have it scored, I certainly wouldn't give away the exact location where I shot it.

Comment

Originally posted by huntfishtrap View Post
        Terrible idea. There are so many potential problems with that kind of information being publicly available that I don't know where to start. It could lead to an increase in trespassing, poaching, out-of-staters coming in to lease ground, etc. etc. It makes me even more reluctant to ever have a deer officially scored than I am now. And if on the off chance I did shoot a deer big enough that I would have it scored, I certainly wouldn't give away the exact location where I shot it.
        Good points. A little stronger than I stated, but not at all hard to agree with.

Comment

Awful idea outside of the marketing side.
          What a way to ruin someone's hunting spot.

Comment

A "book" entry requires the disclosure of the location. Of course, there could be some fudging on that, but most book entries are probably pretty close or at least decipherable. This disclosure requirement has kept my deer out of the books. Whew!

Comment

Originally posted by jcarlin View Post
              Anyone could always have purchased the actual record book. But this automation allows a hunter with a GPS driving around to find out when they are close. There goes the hunting spot. A reasonable person could say that serves the entrant right.

Comment

Originally posted by bowhunter75richard View Post
                I know several hunters who have purchased this product and are out driving around looking at those locations. The world of deer hunting is antler crazy.

Comment

I've shot a number of deer that qualify for the books, but I have never entered one. Probably never will, unless it's a state or world record. You can bet that I would "fudge" on the location, in that unlikely scenario.

Comment

I won't lie, I do like antlers. But I also won't sell my soul to acquire them, unlike some folks.

Comment

I'm not sure saying that would be all that reasonable. The person entering the deer into the book isn't doing anything wrong, legally or morally. I don't do it, but I don't necessarily have anything against those who do. But anyone who steals someone else's hunting spot because they looked up the location from the record book, or got it on their GPS, most certainly is doing something wrong in my opinion. It's morally wrong at the least, and perhaps even illegal if they trespass to do so.

Comment

Bad choice of words, I did not mean it the way it sounds. Sorry. Even without this new program anyone could have looked up the location and go there. I meant an entrant should expect other hunters to appear. Neither the entrant nor the looker upper is doing anything illegal and the info is public information for all to see. No moral problem it's no different than when we used to go to the courthouse to look up land ownership to seek hunting permission.

Comment

I must admit that in my younger years I was more inclined to be antler conscious. However, as I progressed
                          in years I worried less and less as to what others thought about my hunting abilities and success. Besides
                          the last batch of antler stew I made up tasted like dog do-do, venison itself is a hell of a lot better !

Comment

Of course, the whole premise of this is hunting permission. Just because this information is available,
                            that does not mean one is wrong to hunt there if permission is obtained. Trespassing will unfortunatly
                            always be a problem posed by the unethical, that will be an unending problem. I don't think this
                            information will change that.

Comment

Perhaps. I still think it's a bit unsportsmanlike to swipe somebody's spot because they happened to shoot a big buck there, but that's JMO.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Strangers meet.
                                by 99explorer
                                A man is able to contact his long lost brother who he has never met.
                                They agree to meet in a crowded public place.
                                No identification markers...
                                08-16-2019, 11:03 PM
                              • OU football
                                by FirstBubba
                                Big G, thought you might like to know, I'm going to watch some OU football this fall.
                                The orthopaedic surgeon who rebuilt my hip is retired and...
                                08-16-2019, 10:35 PM
                              • True romance.
                                by 99explorer
                                A doctor and a bus driver are both in love with the same woman, a beautiful girl named Sarah.
                                The bus driver has to go on a long bus trip that will...
                                08-16-2019, 09:11 AM
                              • A question of standing.
                                by 99explorer
                                A man says to his father, "I'm standing behind you."
                                The father replies, "And I am standing behind you, son."
                                Could this...
                                08-15-2019, 01:59 PM
                              • Cashier problem.
                                by 99explorer
                                You are a cashier and owe a customer $41 change from a $50 bill.
                                You have every denomination of paper currency in the drawer except $1 bills, and...
                                08-14-2019, 03:39 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X