Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm planning a hog hunting trip to Florida and I want to know the proper shot placement to kill a hog. Centurion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm planning a hog hunting trip to Florida and I want to know the proper shot placement to kill a hog. Centurion

I'm planning a hog hunting trip to Florida and I want to know the proper shot placement to kill a hog. Centurion

A hogs vitals are a little more forward and lower than on an animal like a deer. The heart is basically against the sternum at the bottom of the chest. For this reason you want to aim on the lower portion of the front shoulder with a broadside shot. Frontal shots usually need to be a brain shot since they keep they head in front of chest. Quartering away right behind the shoulder. Quartering to you right in front of the shoulder.

Comment

Use enough gun, they can sometimes absorb a lot of lead.

Comment

Break their front shoulder or shoot them in the center neck and they won't likely go anywhere. If you shoot them as you would a deer, they can run off and leave little to no blood. If someone says you are using too much gun, you can probably ignore them.

Comment

Originally posted by JM View Post
          A hogs vitals are a little more forward and lower than on an animal like a deer. The heart is basically against the sternum at the bottom of the chest. For this reason you want to aim on the lower portion of the front shoulder with a broadside shot. Frontal shots usually need to be a brain shot since they keep they head in front of chest. Quartering away right behind the shoulder. Quartering to you right in front of the shoulder.
          Thanks for the info, you seem to know quite a bit about the subject and I commend your effort to enlighten me. Centurion

Comment

Originally posted by 4everAutumn View Post
            Break their front shoulder or shoot them in the center neck and they won't likely go anywhere. If you shoot them as you would a deer, they can run off and leave little to no blood. If someone says you are using too much gun, you can probably ignore them.
            Thanks for the lead on the neck shot, it seems a good place for a knock down hit and it probably won't destroy much edible meat. Centurion

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post
              Thanks for the info, I plan on using my .308 Win. with 150 grain bullets so I think it will do. I have heard of many hogs taken with .243 and .223 rifles but they seem light for anything bigger than a 250 pound hog. Centurion

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post
                You should post your question on Field&Stream as I know there are some regulars there that live in Florida and hunt hogs. The last I heard they have too much rain and more on the way so it is hard to get into the hunting areas.

A .308 would be fine. No or low power scope would be best.
                I hunted hogs in the Middle East and we used rifles in the open areas and shotguns in the brush. Beaters would form a line and push through the area. The pigs would come out running so the action was fast.

Comment

Your 308 is a fine choice for hogs with 150 gr bullets. A lot is going to depend on the shot you are given by the hog. A standing broadside hog within reasonable range would call for a shot behind a just below the ear as 4everAutumn states. I've also shot them between the eyes when they are looking in my direction. A good heart lung shot will also work on hogs. They aren't bullet proof but do require good bullet placement.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X