Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can big game rifles be shot after open heart surgery? I have heard no because the sternum never completely heals.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As many have said I'd talk to your doctor. If you're concerned with recoil then remember there are plenty of recoil reduction options out there. It will cost some money but I'm a firm believer in muzzle-breaks. I even put them on my smaller center-fire rifles such as my 22-250. You need to protect your ears more but your shoulder reaps the benefits.

Comment

Originally posted by Okwaho View Post
      I don't know about the "never completely heals" part. My brother had full bypass surgery in December and had the green light from his doctor to hunt deer the following November. His dragging days are over (he's lucky to have a fit little brother), but I don't believe his doctors ever said anything about shooting.
      LOL, but God's honest truth, fellas: I never even asked what the doc said about dragging, I just told my brother that he needn't worry about it. For a while there, I wasn't sure if he'd ever be back in the woods again at all.

Comment

I just finished with a triple bypass 4 weeks ago and was concerned about that very thing. My cardiologist said that when they close you up they stitch the sternum up with five stainless steel closures that are left in, so it seems to me that you'd be better than ever. One thing I forgot to ask about is the fact that the heart just kind of hangs there in your rib cage, it's not braced by any muscles. I'm thinking that shooting something with really stout recoil might jostle things around in there, just like it gives you a little brain splash when 75 Ft. Lbs. of recoil is delivered in .001 of a second. I'll ask him next time I see him.

Comment

Originally posted by Rifleman Rick View Post
          I just finished with a triple bypass 4 weeks ago and was concerned about that very thing. My cardiologist said that when they close you up they stitch the sternum up with five stainless steel closures that are left in, so it seems to me that you'd be better than ever. One thing I forgot to ask about is the fact that the heart just kind of hangs there in your rib cage, it's not braced by any muscles. I'm thinking that shooting something with really stout recoil might jostle things around in there, just like it gives you a little brain splash when 75 Ft. Lbs. of recoil is delivered in .001 of a second. I'll ask him next time I see him.
          Four weeks ago?
          I'd start with a Red Ryder BB gun, but have your grandson cock it for you!! 😉!
          You have a valid concern.
          In August of 2019, I had shoulder replacement surgery. I'm not supposed to be picking up over 25 pounds and NO heavy recoil.
          Not sure what kind of game you're hunting, but I went with an AR15 chambered for the 6.8mm Rem SPC. It works just fine for feral hogs and whitetails.
          For a shotgun, a great friend sent me a Mossberg bolt action .410 and I picked up an older Rem semi auto 16 gauge and had Briley tubes installed for an "all-around" shotgun.
          The semi autos have less felt recoil.
          The 16 gauge is great and is a soft shooter, but I don't think I'd care to spend an afternoon on a trap or skeet range. 🙁

I would look into lighter calibers and semi autos.

Comment

A gas auto, of moderate weight.

A Light weight Benelli recoil auto is a thumper

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Gear overload?
              by fitch270
              I’ve been thinking about this since my gun show post over on F&S. May have to cross post for more feed back but in the spirit of our earlier discussion...
              Yesterday, 09:26 PM
            • 7mm-08 range time
              by dewman
              Almost sold this one because I couldn't get it under about 2". Then sitting at home I thought hmm, I've only been using 120gr because I have mostly...
              Yesterday, 08:18 PM
            • Cool gift
              by fitch270
              At work today I was given this hand made slate call from one of my accounts. He’s a retired butcher, outdoorsman and former baseball coach. He also...
              09-21-2021, 07:40 PM
            • Two 1911 Dominators Hunting Prep-Steel out to 500 yards with videos
              by Ernie

On Friday I went out to Mac's Gunworks to zero and get some drops out to 500 yards with my two Pachmayr Dominator's. These both have long eye pistol...
              09-19-2021, 09:18 AM
            • Turn out the lights
              by fitch270
              Elvis has left the building.
              09-17-2021, 07:58 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X