Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

This weekend I'm planning to put out two large bait pile of food for the New Jersey black bears. I want to see if any heavy weights are roaming my area, via photos from my trail cams. The black bear season in Jersey starts on December 8th. I like to

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This weekend I'm planning to put out two large bait pile of food for the New Jersey black bears. I want to see if any heavy weights are roaming my area, via photos from my trail cams. The black bear season in Jersey starts on December 8th. I like to

This weekend I'm planning to put out two large bait pile of food for the New Jersey black bears. I want to see if any heavy weights are roaming my area, via photos from my trail cams. The black bear season in Jersey starts on December 8th. I like to get a early jump on the masses. Hunting bears over bait is legal in Jersey but the big Bruins move during the safety hours of darkness. Does anybody have any good suggestions to lure in the monster bears during daylight? Thanks, Gary

This monster bear is smelling an old beehive. He is a shooter in my book. Hanging low belly, wide legs, a body like a 50 gallon drum, small head and a wide neck. Any great food suggestions out there before I bait?
    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Devine View Post
      This monster bear is smelling an old beehive. He is a shooter in my book. Hanging low belly, wide legs, a body like a 50 gallon drum, small head and a wide neck. Any great food suggestions out there before I bait?
      By the way, this bear survived last bear hunting season. I have trail cam photos at the very end of the hunt. Can you imagine how huge he is this year? I hope he is still hanging in my area.

Comment

Stake out some Rutgers college students next to your tree stand. Big New Jersey black bears seem to like them...
        Ok, yeah, I know that's a terrible joke.
        In all seriousness, I'm no expert on bear bait, so I can't really offer any great ideas in that regard. But have you ever considered trying to call one in with a predator call? I've never done it, but I've heard fawn bleats or rabbit squeals can be pretty effective. It might be a hunting tactic those big old bears haven't encountered before. If you're going to try it, I'd definitely do so from a tree stand though.

Comment

How do you like those Primos trail cams? I have the Truth Cam 35, and it's pretty much junk. Terrible photo quality, very weak flash, and slow trigger. This photo looks a lot better than the ones my camera takes.

Comment

huntfishtrap, LOL, baiting with the college kid. RIP
            My bear mountain is loaded with coyotes. I have a doe bleat already. Maybe, I will go out and buy a fawn bleat and a rabbit in distress call.
            I got nothing to lose by trying that. Good idea, thanks.
            Maybe coyotes are legal during the same bear week. I have to check the NJ game laws.
            It would be great if I'm allowed to bust a few coyotes. That would do the future deer fawns a big favor.

Comment

The Truth Cam 35 is the bottom line Primos trail camera.
              I like the better grade trail cams. The Primos Blackout, Primos Truth cam 60 and the Primos Truth cam 45.
              It would be like comparing a Ford Lincoln to a Ford Pinto.

Comment

Sorry, I forgot one the " Primos Truth Cam 46 Ultra " that brand took the bear photo above.
                For the money you can't beat a Primos but if an animal moves the shot could be blurry. You need to pay six hundred for a Sony or a Reconyx cam to stop blurry photos on movement.

Comment

huntfishtrap, I was going to suggest that LovesOutdoors put up leaflets advertising a bear wet t-shirt contest with all you can drink beer. For the ladies he could get the Chip and Dale male bear strippers for the same time frame and adjacent venue. Then again I have no idea what I am doing concerning bear baiting. Maybe Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton might have ideas about how to bait bears.

Comment

Gary, What time do you see most of your bears on your cameras now? I have only seen a couple during the day in the Adirondacks. One was while hiking on a sunny afternoon in mid summer, and the bear was sleeping in the sun on the side of a little hill. The other was while hunting deer.
                    For bear we usually went out for the last 1/2 hour of legal season. That is when we got most all our bears.

Comment

huntfishtrap, LOL, baiting with the college kid. RIP
                      My bear mountain is loaded with coyotes. I have a doe bleat already. Maybe, I will go out and buy a fawn bleat and a rabbit in distress call.
                      I got nothing to lose by trying that. Good idea, thanks.
                      Maybe coyotes are legal during the same bear week. I have to check the NJ game laws.
                      It would be great if I'm allowed to bust a few coyotes. That would do the future deer fawns a big favor.
                      most places, coyotes are an unprotected species so i imagine you can hunt them simultaneously, and year-round (no set season). you may need a small game license or similar to be able to be actively hunting (to prove you are allowed to hunt something? idk), but not sure for your specific area

Comment

Jimbo, During October and November I get the majority of black bears during the day.
                        In December many start hibernating and the big heavy weights start feeding at night. I think they know when it's hunting season. LOL

Comment

Jimbo, During October and November I get the majority of black bears during the day.
                          In December many start hibernating and the big heavy weights start feeding at night. I think they know when it's hunting season. LOL
                          How about getting a road kill deer and hang it from a tree several feet off the ground in the vicinity of your other bait. That might keep them there a little longer in the AM. You may have to get a permit to pick up the road kill.

Comment

That is one nice bear. Nice photo. He needs his own bait pile. LOL

Comment

Just give your bait time. As it becomes known to the bears as a great spot to get food, they will learn that the Early Bear gets the worm and will begin showing up earlier. Eventually the big one will show up early to get his fair share, which is all of it!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Dads gun #2 Browning auto5 20ga
                                by dewman
                                Last time it was shot was a pheasant hunt in Colorado in '84. I'll have to remedy that. This gun is feather light. Wish the choke was ic or mod. It's...
                                Yesterday, 08:40 AM
                              • Dads gun #1 S&W 28-2. .357
                                by dewman
                                Got my fathers 28-2 357 to go with my 29-2 44mag. Check out the safari land flap holster. ...
                                Yesterday, 07:59 AM
                              • What is taking so long ?
                                by jhjimbo
                                Can't be that hard for the Administrator to 86 the spammers....
                                09-21-2020, 07:52 PM
                              • Burn cream
                                by CD2
                                Drugstore used to carry a white silver cream.
                                No longer does.
                                Was maybe 10 bucks or so for a little tube.
                                Bargain.

Got...
                                09-21-2020, 05:39 PM
                              • Colorado surprise. Couple of dads guns.
                                by dewman
                                So even with all the wrangling being done to screw we 4 sons of my father I got a little lucky. Even though my stepmom is still alive and her 3 sons from...
                                09-20-2020, 10:12 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X