Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

While hunting for big game up in your tree stand, is it OK to pee out of your stand ? Is it OK to drop your cigarette butts that are no longer lite from your tree stand? Is it OK to drop candy bar, cookie or sandwich wrappers from your tree stand? I

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• While hunting for big game up in your tree stand, is it OK to pee out of your stand ? Is it OK to drop your cigarette butts that are no longer lite from your tree stand? Is it OK to drop candy bar, cookie or sandwich wrappers from your tree stand? I

While hunting for big game up in your tree stand, is it OK to pee out of your stand ? Is it OK to drop your cigarette butts that are no longer lite from your tree stand? Is it OK to drop candy bar, cookie or sandwich wrappers from your tree stand? I see trash under tree stands all the time. I like to keep the forest floor free of unnatural scents. I heard stories from hunters who say these items don't bother big game.. What your opinion?

Urine I'm of the opinion doesn't matter, but the hunting world is well split on that.
    Regarding garbage and trash, I like to keep my area clean on principal. I can't think of any stand I've ever passed or sat that had trash beneath it. Most, maybe not all hunters, like to keep the woods looking like the woods.
    Regarding food and food wrappers/containers. I've always wondered if an overzealous WCO would consider that to be baiting, which is also illegal where I live.

Comment

While I am not a neat freak, I get bothered to no end by what is left behind in the woods by hunters. It may not bother game but I sure would not go into your home and throw cigarette (when I smoked) butts around on the floor and candy wrappers or sandwich wrappers laying on your living room rug. I guess I hold too closely to the Boy Scout adage of not leaving anything in the forest that wasn't there when you got there, and leave it better than what you found it. If we, as hunters, don't take care of what we have, well I just don't want to think about that!

Off my soap box for now.......

Comment

I've seen coyotes pee around my stand and I don't see deer react to it at all. That being said, I don't think deer react the same to human scent as they would to coyote scent. I believe that an animal can determine the 'age' of any scent. So, a piss off your stand wouldn't get the same reaction from a deer 2 hours later as it would 5 minutes after. Any trash, snacks, etc should be the same if my theory is correct.

Personally, I wouldn't do anything to blow my stand. Why take the chance? take a piss bottle with you and keep it in your pack. It's not worth the risk and who knows how that big buck will react to something like that.

Comment

If you are really worried about the smell of urine just climb out of the stand and dig a little hole or throw some dirt/leaves on it. For the trash just carry a ziploc bag or something with you and throw it in there.

Comment

I've had deer walk under my stand 20 min after I have peed and didn't seem alarmed. They were young deer though who knows if that old buck will know better. I try and bring a bottle just to reduce the noise. I know all animals pee in the woods but from 18 ft up splattering all over dry leaves sure makes a racket. It may just make that big buck 60 yards further back in the woods change directions. Food wrappers and any foreign smells should be zip locked if you are really concerned about tagging that wise old buck.

Comment

Coyotes, bears, bobcats and wild pigs pee in the woods all year long. Deer smell other species urine all year. Humans pee in the woods during hunting season two months of the year. I believe the smell is alarming to big educated bucks and bears with the best nose in the world.
              Fifty percent of the hunters say its bad and the other fifty percent say it doesn't bother wildlife.
              Why take a chance when there is some doubt. How hard is it to pull out a Gatorade plastic bottle to relieve yourself? I empty my bottle back by my vehicle at the road. I get home and wash it out with my garden hose.
              Very simple and easy to do.
              After hunting season I like to explore the woods.
              I find trash under many tree stands and I take it out of the woods.
              Whenever I go canoeing I find trash. Empty soda cans, beer cans and food wrappers. I throw all that trash in the bottom of my canoe.
              I think my home state of New Jersey is the litterbug capital of the world.
              Here is a link below titled Do deer smell human urine.

http://www.christianoutdoorsman.com/forums/index.php?/topic/4523-do-deer-smell-human-urine/

Comment

It's getting a bit off topic, but I don't think the People's Republic of NJ is alone in the litter department, I'm across the river in the free land of PA and along the lakes and streams I see the same. I generally come home from a fishing trip with a couple of bottles and several bait containers I didn't carry in.
                Strangely I can't say the same about the deer woods. Some really old glass shows up, but the hunters seem to be a tidier bunch. I've always attributed to the fact that even the opening day crowd has a lot of time and money invested in hunting and it tends to be a bigger tradition with someone who's taught you as you came along. Not necessarily the same for all the worm dunkers (of which I am sometimes one).

Comment

I won't go right near or under my stand but I've never seen a deer notice where I have gone. As for the other things you mention I figure if you carry it in you had better carry the remains back out.

Comment

Pee yes. I've done it my entire deer hunting career, and have never seen a deer spook from it. As for any garbage, if it won't decompose quickly, you'd better take it out or I would consider it littering, which is inexcusable. And as far as I'm concerned, you should never smoke in the woods, period. The fire risk is just unacceptable.

Comment

The last thing I do before I leave the truck for the stand is relieve myself. With my melon sized prostate, that gives me a window of approximately 3.5 minutes before i have to do it again. So, if I hunt longer than that, I have to go. I just try to mind the wind and make sure it hits the ground. I have never noticed any animal pay it any mind. I would never throw anything on the ground though and I pick up any trash I do find.
                      A bit off topic trash pet peeve is spent shotgun shells. We always pick up ours but I find that we have to pick up others that we find too. I left the dove field yesterday with a vest full of hulls and I shot four of them. Slobs are going to ruin it for us.

Comment

It's probably OK to pee out of your stand, as long as you don't lose your balance and fall out. I carry a ziplock bag with me and empty it into a hole in a fire ant mound after I leave the stand.

As to the trash and such---I brought it with me and I'll carry it out. Don't want a cellophane cookie wrapper blowing around spooking the deer and making a mess.

Comment

I always relieve myself in the woods during hunting, including out the back-end (Dad always taught that is my way of "re-instating my manhood"). As for trash, what comes in with me leaves with me. If I come across a place in the woods where I find some beer cans from the underage party that was probably there about 10 days ago, I do what I can to quietly squash em and take them with me too.
                          With the same kinda topic of peeing in the woods, I have also heard arguments back and forth about bagging or burying your deer "remains" from field dressing, and not letting it sit there. What's everyones take on that? I personally let it sit, I'm sure I'm making a coyote or some other animal happy later in the evening.

Comment

How about the mornings when the air is very still and you cut one, I mean really cut a big one that even bothers you? I think that is more alarming to a close by deer than pee.
                            As far as leaving the woods, the only thing I leave behind are my foot prints.

Comment

Hi...

LNT (leave no trace) when you're afield. That goes for cigarette butts and ejected shells, too.

I think that urine better shape if you don't pee under your tree stand. Dispose of it under somebody elses tree stand...(if its situated too close to yours)...!! LOL

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Home Defense
                                by jhjimbo
                                If you are using your bird gun for double duty of house defense remember to remove the plug. Might as well have full magazine capacity. Also, I have...
                                Today, 02:15 PM
                              • Pay it forward
                                by fitch270
                                I'm not sure how much interest this will generate but I figured I'd give it a shot and see how it goes. As a way of saying thanks for the help and entertainment...
                                10-18-2020, 01:34 PM
                              • Reloading Gear Order
                                by fitch270
                                I have a bunch of stuff in a cart at Midway and wanted to check with you guys before I place the order. A few things on the cheap side I want to make...
                                10-17-2020, 08:31 AM
                              • Ruger Oops! Round 2
                                by dewman
                                Asked girls if they want it. (Mk4 Hunter) No. We want another rifle so we aren't sharing the one single shot. Some phone calls and a pal & me meet...
                                10-16-2020, 03:20 PM
                              • Who hunts big game with a handgun?
                                by Ernie
                                Any handgun hunters here?
                                Describe your hunting handguns (With Pics!) whether they be revolvers, semi-autos or single-shot specialty pistols.
                                10-16-2020, 02:01 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X