Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you hang very heavy trophies when the mounting point is between the wall studs. To bridge a mounting plate from stud to

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you hang very heavy trophies when the mounting point is between the wall studs. To bridge a mounting plate from stud to

How do you hang very heavy trophies when the mounting point is between the wall studs. To bridge a mounting plate from stud to stud would be unsightly

How heavy are we talking? If it is too heavy for a drywall anchor than you may need to cut down a section of the drywall and put a brace/mounting plate between the studs then put new drywall over it.

Comment

JM has a good thought and it wouldn't be too hard to do that. How about if you would cut a larger wood plate, matching the shape of the back of your mount and would be big enough to bridge the gap between the studs and screw it in. You could then attach your mount to that plate. The plate could either be finished as a wood base that are on some mounts, or painted to match your wall. That, or if your mount is over 16 inches wide, put two hangers on the back of it to match the space between your studs.

Comment

The Cape Buffalo must be around 100 lbs and the eland would be about the same. Your idea of using a larger wood plate to attach to two studs may be the answer. For the less challenging mounts, I have cut a piece of steel 1.5' by 2 " by 3/16 then drilled several holes down the centre line to accommodate wood screws and one larger hole near the top to accommodate a larger lag screw to act as the hanger with the screws down the length of the stud giving added security. That should handle the mounts that can be centered on a single wood stud. Where there isn't a stud in the right spot I have to consider options as you fellows are suggesting. Surely, some outfit out there has designed and/or sells an ingenious method of dealing with this problem?

Comment

Maybe you should've considered that before shooting such a large cape buffalo and eland...lol.
          In all seriousness, I can't think of anything better than JM's or 4everAutumn's suggestions.

Comment

You can face the Cape Buffalo, you can walk yourself into the ground hunting that big kudu but the true challenge comes in convincing your wife that the world will not end by moving the trophy one foot on the wall. The laws of symmetry have been broken and no lightning bolt has struck the house. Talk about grace under pressure

Comment

A good taxidermy firm should have several ideas for you when it comes to hanging their product. If you have a contractor friend he could help, but it might cost a few extra bucks

Comment

Sounds like you found the best solution kody.
                later,
                charlie

Comment

Originally posted by JM View Post
                  How heavy are we talking? If it is too heavy for a drywall anchor than you may need to cut down a section of the drywall and put a brace/mounting plate between the studs then put new drywall over it.
                  That's the best solution, but messy

Comment

Originally posted by 4everAutumn View Post
                    JM has a good thought and it wouldn't be too hard to do that. How about if you would cut a larger wood plate, matching the shape of the back of your mount and would be big enough to bridge the gap between the studs and screw it in. You could then attach your mount to that plate. The plate could either be finished as a wood base that are on some mounts, or painted to match your wall. That, or if your mount is over 16 inches wide, put two hangers on the back of it to match the space between your studs.
                    A lot more work and more intricate than JM's solution

Comment

Originally posted by Kody View Post
                      The Cape Buffalo must be around 100 lbs and the eland would be about the same. Your idea of using a larger wood plate to attach to two studs may be the answer. For the less challenging mounts, I have cut a piece of steel 1.5' by 2 " by 3/16 then drilled several holes down the centre line to accommodate wood screws and one larger hole near the top to accommodate a larger lag screw to act as the hanger with the screws down the length of the stud giving added security. That should handle the mounts that can be centered on a single wood stud. Where there isn't a stud in the right spot I have to consider options as you fellows are suggesting. Surely, some outfit out there has designed and/or sells an ingenious method of dealing with this problem?
                      Could be. Have you googled it?

Comment

Originally posted by Kody View Post
                        You can face the Cape Buffalo, you can walk yourself into the ground hunting that big kudu but the true challenge comes in convincing your wife that the world will not end by moving the trophy one foot on the wall. The laws of symmetry have been broken and no lightning bolt has struck the house. Talk about grace under pressure
                        Now we know who's the boss in the family, lol!

Comment

Originally posted by Happy Myles View Post
                          A good taxidermy firm should have several ideas for you when it comes to hanging their product. If you have a contractor friend he could help, but it might cost a few extra bucks
                          Happy Miles, he's been on safari and shipped mounts home. So, money is no object

Comment

Holds up to 200 lbs - $7.00

https://www.amazon.com/Ook-Capacity-Drywall-Picture-Hanger/dp/B000CSN354/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1523676169&sr=8-8&keywords=heavy+picture+hangers
                            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by PigHunter View Post
                              Holds up to 200 lbs - $7.00

https://www.amazon.com/Ook-Capacity-Drywall-Picture-Hanger/dp/B000CSN354/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1523676169&sr=8-8&keywords=heavy+picture+hangers
                              What did you decide on for hanging the trophies?

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Colorado surprise. Couple of dads guns.
                                by dewman
                                So even with all the wrangling being done to screw we 4 sons of my father I got a little lucky. Even though my stepmom is still alive and her 3 sons from...
                                Today, 10:12 PM
                              • Now That's Service
                                by jhjimbo
                                Had my local Jeep dealer mount two tires and rotate some. When they did that they also spray painted my rims to cover up some brake dust stains I could...
                                Today, 07:57 PM
                              • Lost some cover; pic heavy
                                by fitch270
                                ​ ​ ​ Long story shorter, my Aunt’s 70’ish year old spring line plugged up last Friday, a combination of old iron pipe and poly. The only way to...
                                Yesterday, 06:07 PM
                              • Covid-19
                                by jhjimbo
                                Any indication a game animal can get the virus ? The news had a case of a dog in I think NC that got the virus.

Tucker Carlson had a guest...
                                09-17-2020, 10:38 PM
                              • Spur of the moment rifle
                                by Amflyer
                                I stopped in the local Scheels the other day so see about getting some IMR 4831. As a slow-ish old school powder I thought that the current buying craze...
                                09-17-2020, 11:25 AM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X