Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

There are rifles matched to good optics that in the right hands can take animals at very long ranges..well in excess of 400 yard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• There are rifles matched to good optics that in the right hands can take animals at very long ranges..well in excess of 400 yard

There are rifles matched to good optics that in the right hands can take animals at very long ranges..well in excess of 400 yards. I acknowledge that it can be done but my question is should it be done? Is it ethical in the sport of hunting to kill big game animals at very long ranges?

Kody, I think this is one of those questions that can be debated eternally. Personally, I come from PA, where you can rarely see 200 yards, and I probably shouldn't be shooting much past 150. However if I was a beanfield hunter and a better shot, I think it's up to each to use his own judgment.

Comment

I think what jcarlin said, the situation dictates. I like to stalk as close as possible, those that do not have the patience for stalking want the long range outfits. To me it does not seem fair chase. JMHO

Comment

That's a good question. It's tough for me to give a simple answer, because it's far from a black-and-white issue, and I don't like to tell other people how they should act, unless we're talking legality issues, which we aren't.
        Personally, I never shoot at an animal if I can get a higher-percentage (i.e., closer) shot, unless the shot I already have is a slam-dunk. Just as an example, I don't necessarily have a problem with somebody taking a 400 yard shot at an elk across a canyon, if they have the gun and the abilities to ethically do so.
        What I do take exception to are the people who take super-long shots just because they can, even when they could easily get closer. Some people seem to think killing something from a quarter or a third of a mile away makes them really great hunters, when in reality it just makes them lazy slobs.
        But that's just my opinion, and if you disagree, it's still a (mostly) free country.

Comment

I personally do not have a problem with it, but there are two items I take into account. #1 Can you hit at that range? I know shooters who regularly hit up to 1,000 yards with .308. Still does not mean they should take the shot because of factor #2... #2 Does your ballistic coefficient mean that the round maintains the necessary energy at distance to kill efficiently? If you are shooting a .308 you have significantly less to work with than someone shooting a .300 mag, and definitely less if you are shooting a .338 Lapua or .408 Cheytac.
          All of that said, I would not cringe at a 600 yard shot with a .308 (as I know that is what you are shooting). Pushing it much farther I would reserve for paper-punching.

Comment

I would like to follow up on what we define as "long range shooting." 400 yards is not exceptionally long anymore. With the right ballistics and optics this is still "knife throwing range". Now, 1,000 yards is highly feasible. Technology + knowledge makes this kind of distance a reality.
            The "sporting" aspect is always debatable. If you really want to be fair about the whole thing you would just take a knife to the field with you... and I am just not that sporting.

Comment

Damn... I practically wrote a manuscript in response to your guys and there was a power outage! All gone ...just like that huge buck that I passed up because he was too far away. That was more than thirty years ago and I have regretted the decision ever since. Given the same opportunity today I would shoot until he fell down or the magazine was empty. I don't get much of a chance to get righteous about 'how far is too far' as my own impulses betray me. Furthermore, the Captains rightfully points out if you want to be the real sportman and do some serious stalking arm yourself accordingly. The use of flintlocks and recurve bows has become popular because some hunters want that additional challenge and to give the game a sporting chance. My rifles can strike at longer ranges as it is often the order of the day in Alberta. I am rigging out a true long range rifle these days which is a far cry from a conventional hunting rifle. It raises the issue of the 1000 yard shot on big game

Comment

PS Note my tag photo showing my male goldern retriever... walking him on leash last night and had a large viscious dog attack him. I was in the middle of one hell of a dog fight. Fast and furious! Fortunately, he did not get torn up ...all the blood on him was from me. My right arm took one right through my leather jacket and swelled up half the size of a baseball. GRRRR! I was not happy.

Comment

Sorry to hear about your arm, Kody. I am glad that Blue came out unscathed. In America we are able to produce guns to end fights like that... but I understand that you still live under the Queen's Rule. HA!
                  I cannot feign righteousness on taking long shots. I have a rig set up that is good for about 600 yards (ballistically). I still find that I enjoy the deep woods, my .44 mag and bow the most though. I am now in the high desert so I find myself shooting my flatter rifles. I have just not dedicated the money required to buy a true long distance rig. If I do (very improbable) I will most likely go with a .300 mag and the Bushnell scope I recommended.

Comment

well is shooting a bear over a barrel of donuts hunting? deer under a corn feeder? high fences? calls? guns at all ? lighted nocks? lazer sights? really if its legal and its your way of hunting then do it to me shooting something that cant see or hear or even smell you at 1000 yards isnt hunting but to some it is. really its a personal preference what my idea of hunting and your idea of hunting will always be different no mater what its like the choice of weapon or brand of whats best. what does great for me may be totally uncomfortable to you. As long as its a legal method i wont complain about how others hunt but i will hold my hunts to a different standard. i dont sit in a blind and wait for turkey to come feed i go get them but, both are legal one is my choice.

Comment

Originally posted by jcarlin View Post
                      Kody, I think this is one of those questions that can be debated eternally. Personally, I come from PA, where you can rarely see 200 yards, and I probably shouldn't be shooting much past 150. However if I was a beanfield hunter and a better shot, I think it's up to each to use his own judgment.
                      In Alabama a long shot is also rare

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post
                        I think what jcarlin said, the situation dictates. I like to stalk as close as possible, those that do not have the patience for stalking want the long range outfits. To me it does not seem fair chase. JMHO
                        Agreed Jimbo. I've seen pics of your typical hunting and definitely you are about at the same ranges I hunt

Comment

Originally posted by the captain View Post
                          I personally do not have a problem with it, but there are two items I take into account. #1 Can you hit at that range? I know shooters who regularly hit up to 1,000 yards with .308. Still does not mean they should take the shot because of factor #2... #2 Does your ballistic coefficient mean that the round maintains the necessary energy at distance to kill efficiently? If you are shooting a .308 you have significantly less to work with than someone shooting a .300 mag, and definitely less if you are shooting a .338 Lapua or .408 Cheytac.
                          All of that said, I would not cringe at a 600 yard shot with a .308 (as I know that is what you are shooting). Pushing it much farther I would reserve for paper-punching.
                          He also has a 300 Win Mag.

Comment

Originally posted by the captain View Post
                            I would like to follow up on what we define as "long range shooting." 400 yards is not exceptionally long anymore. With the right ballistics and optics this is still "knife throwing range". Now, 1,000 yards is highly feasible. Technology + knowledge makes this kind of distance a reality.
                            The "sporting" aspect is always debatable. If you really want to be fair about the whole thing you would just take a knife to the field with you... and I am just not that sporting.
                            Well, at least a spear, LOL!

Comment

Originally posted by Kody View Post
                              Damn... I practically wrote a manuscript in response to your guys and there was a power outage! All gone ...just like that huge buck that I passed up because he was too far away. That was more than thirty years ago and I have regretted the decision ever since. Given the same opportunity today I would shoot until he fell down or the magazine was empty. I don't get much of a chance to get righteous about 'how far is too far' as my own impulses betray me. Furthermore, the Captains rightfully points out if you want to be the real sportman and do some serious stalking arm yourself accordingly. The use of flintlocks and recurve bows has become popular because some hunters want that additional challenge and to give the game a sporting chance. My rifles can strike at longer ranges as it is often the order of the day in Alberta. I am rigging out a true long range rifle these days which is a far cry from a conventional hunting rifle. It raises the issue of the 1000 yard shot on big game
                              I didn't know you are in Alberta. So, you probably have longer shots available tan many of us East of the Mississippi

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Home Defense
                                by jhjimbo
                                If you are using your bird gun for double duty of house defense remember to remove the plug. Might as well have full magazine capacity. Also, I have...
                                Yesterday, 02:15 PM
                              • Pay it forward
                                by fitch270
                                I'm not sure how much interest this will generate but I figured I'd give it a shot and see how it goes. As a way of saying thanks for the help and entertainment...
                                10-18-2020, 01:34 PM
                              • Reloading Gear Order
                                by fitch270
                                I have a bunch of stuff in a cart at Midway and wanted to check with you guys before I place the order. A few things on the cheap side I want to make...
                                10-17-2020, 08:31 AM
                              • Ruger Oops! Round 2
                                by dewman
                                Asked girls if they want it. (Mk4 Hunter) No. We want another rifle so we aren't sharing the one single shot. Some phone calls and a pal & me meet...
                                10-16-2020, 03:20 PM
                              • Who hunts big game with a handgun?
                                by Ernie
                                Any handgun hunters here?
                                Describe your hunting handguns (With Pics!) whether they be revolvers, semi-autos or single-shot specialty pistols.
                                10-16-2020, 02:01 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X