Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I have my 50th coming up. I’m not real wild about the idea, but apparently birthdays come whether we want them to or not. To cel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have my 50th coming up. I’m not real wild about the idea, but apparently birthdays come whether we want them to or not. To cel

I have my 50th coming up. I’m not real wild about the idea, but apparently birthdays come whether we want them to or not. To celebrate this “Milestone”, my wife told me she would like send me and our boys on a hunting trip next fall. I would like to say that money is no object, but I can’t. Any ideas on a unique hunting trip that would take us out of Iowa and not cost an arm and a leg? Thanks for your thoughts!

Nice wife, keep her.
    With so little time and so much to hunt - What species are you and your boys most interested in?
    There's a big world outside of Iowa. LOL
    later,
    charlie

Comment

She is a keeper, Charlie. I definitely hit the lottery with her almost 30 years ago. I've hunted elk in Colorado, pigs in Texas, deer in Missouri and upland game and waterfowl in several states. I guess we'd prefer no high fence but other than that we would be pretty open to suggestions.

Comment

I was going to suggest a hog hunt. But you could always think about a dove hunt down south or perhaps pheasants in South Dakota. There are some good deals out there.

Comment

In the fall WI allows turkey dogs. Very few hunters pursue fall turkeys here, in most units OTC tags are readily available and a first time NR license is $29.75, habitat stamp $5.25 and each additional tag $15. You can buy as many as you want until sold out. They are never sold out in units 1,3&4. Unit 1 is close to you and high quality public land abounds.
          Hunting turkeys with 4everAutumn would be a blast. I assume from your posts & pics she is trained sit still in a blind and flushes pheasants. Flushing turkeys is a short step away. 4everAutumn sitting still next to you and your boys on call back should be an easy adjustment for her.
          later,
          charlie

Comment

Just in case you can move the hunt up...
            On Saturday turkey season opened on the Big Island of Hawaii with goat and pig on Kauai. If want Axis deer and Mouflon rams; they are free roaming on islands too.
            Just throwing that out there, it's been a long winter.
            later,
            charlie

Comment

She sounds like a heck of a nice lady 4everAutumn. I've always thought a wolf hunt would be awesome, and given that a number of lower-48 states now have wolf hunting seasons, it shouldn't cost too terribly much either. Not sure how good your chances of success would be, but that's hunting right?

Comment

Coyotes sound like something you have not done and would work good for two or more people. One guy on the calling and one or two on the guns. Day or night. Put a post on some varmint blogs for people that have a problem with them and need some hunters. They are everywhere and usually not too far from town. I have a trail cam picture with one carrying the head of a deer. Usually find several kills around the camp.
                Good luck.

Comment

For spending time with your boys, I would suggest a good dove hunt. When there are a lot of birds it is hard to beat, and it is a very social hunt.

To Charlie Elk: Leave it to you to promote chasing big ugly birds in the fall when your time could be spent on so many other great game animals.... hahaha!

Comment

why not have the best of both worlds? big bucks lots of doves and outta state license well within reason , great fishing if you have the urge. KENTUCKY has lots of public ground, and Kentucky lake alone more coastline than the state of florida.

Comment

Thanks for the great ideas, everybody. You have all given us loads to debate. The boys seem to be leaning towards pigs, but we have also been talking about pronghorn. Does anybody have thoughts on hunting those?

Comment

I've antelope hunted in Wyoming. The weather is usually nice to camp and have a DIY hunt. The Wyoming game and fish website has plenty of areas open to public hunting listed and ranches that would allow you to hunt antelope.

Comment

5 years ago my son and I bowhunted early season antelope in NE Nebraska. There were good numbers, lots of public land, no other hunters and camping was permitted anywhere. The animals weren't pressured which made stalking much easier. The area is remote and the weather can be very hot so be prepared to cool the meat in the field.

Hey Captain, at least those big "ugly" birds provide a man size meal. Surprised you didn't recommend night vision pig hunting, at least then there'd be a barbeque party when your done.
                          later,
                          charlie

Comment

I do like pig hunting, but the thrill has worn off a little for me. For sport, I have always enjoyed wing shooting and its cameraderie. I think any reasonable priced hunt would do for 4ever. I am stuck in west Texas now and think I will spend the majority of my spring hunting predators.

Comment

The bottom line-
                              Anything with the word hunt works in the heart of a genuine hunter. Hunting with your kids is rewarding beyond description even if at the time there are struggles. When you reflect back from a future vantage point, those years, will be the good old days.
                              The Captain speaks wisdom-"any reasonable priced hunt would do for 4ever".
                              later,
                              charlie

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X