Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Alright. So i just ordered my rifle for my elk hunt. It is a Ruger 7mm, All black with a 24 inch stainless steel barrel. Whats n

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alright. So i just ordered my rifle for my elk hunt. It is a Ruger 7mm, All black with a 24 inch stainless steel barrel. Whats n

Alright. So i just ordered my rifle for my elk hunt. It is a Ruger 7mm, All black with a 24 inch stainless steel barrel. Whats next? Scope? If so, what type? Size? Etc? Also.. What else do you think will be needed for this hunt? Elk Hunt in arizona in November? Anymore pointers will be great. I appreciate all the answers in the last one. You guys are very helpful, and i am beginning to grow on this site.

I would use a Leupold 3-9x40 on it. That will more than enough scope for your gun, and it has a lifetime warranty. I would also get a good pair of boots, some good warm thermals, some shooting mittens, maybe some shooting sticks, and a good knife.

Comment

I have a bushnell elite 4200 2.5-10x50mm on my 300 win mag moose rifle, and i have hunted the worst crap canada throws at me. The scope does not fog up and even with rain and snow on the lense you can see very well through it. It has a lifetime warranty with it also. "Great" just doesnt say enough for this scope.

Comment

get some camo tape on that pretty stainless steel/ it only takes one little mistake to change the hunt of youre dreams into a nightmare that will keep on youre mind ,late at nite for years to come .check every thing that has the slightest to go wrong and have a back up answer . such as these scopes mentioned/ will you be able to switch to regular sight if the need arises ? is it on zero also ?
        i always carry one extra round by its self in a easily to get to pocket, it doesn't rattle and i know where it's at, last bit of advice while hunting/ while you eat / drink or relieve youre self keep that rifle close, good luck

Comment

Welcome to Heaven, nowater - elk country in the fall. These other answers are right on - you want a no-frills scope that isn't going to fail you. You can't go wrong with the brands mentioned. Your biggest question is going to be the magnification range and objective lens diameter, and the answer depends a little bit on what kind of hunting you think you'll be doing. If you'll be hiking a lot - which public-land elk often require - then you'll want the lightest rifle/scope combination you can shoot well. A 3-9x40 scope is a good all-around rig. A 50mm objective is really nice, especially if you're shooting across a wide clearing at twilight, but those big scopes add the ounces.

Good luck, and keep us in the loop about what scope you pick and how your hunt pans out.

Andrew McKean
          Hunting Editor

Comment

I use a Leupold VX-III 4x10 (42mm) scope on my .270WSM and I'm pretty pleased with it! As far as equipment, top of the list should be a good pair of boots! I've hunted elk 3 years running in Montana and I've had really good luck with LL Bean Cresta hikers....they're light, waterproof and provide really good ankle support, which you'll need for all that side hilling!
            Also don't forget to get into shape! Hard to keep up with the guide and the elk if you're always out of wind! Good Luck!!

Comment

i would use leupold or bushnell in the 3-9 range. if you have some extra money i would try zeiss or swarovkski but i think pretty much all quality scopes would work good as long you dont skimp

Comment

I picked up a lepoould 3x9 i believe. Its been a few weeks.. Not much longer to go till im off. Yea, I was not looking to consistantly shoot that far. I figured if i exagerated distantances, i would be pleased to see one within 150 yrds.
                Micheal i really wish i saw your post before.. But no worries, right now im just shooting your 175 grain bullet, and shooting 1.5 inch group at 175 yards.

I like the gun, dislike the trigger.. I need to figure out how to adjust it to a hair pin trigger.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Pay it forward
                  by fitch270
                  I'm not sure how much interest this will generate but I figured I'd give it a shot and see how it goes. As a way of saying thanks for the help and entertainment...
                  Yesterday, 01:34 PM
                • Reloading Gear Order
                  by fitch270
                  I have a bunch of stuff in a cart at Midway and wanted to check with you guys before I place the order. A few things on the cheap side I want to make...
                  10-17-2020, 08:31 AM
                • Ruger Oops! Round 2
                  by dewman
                  Asked girls if they want it. (Mk4 Hunter) No. We want another rifle so we aren't sharing the one single shot. Some phone calls and a pal & me meet...
                  10-16-2020, 03:20 PM
                • Who hunts big game with a handgun?
                  by Ernie
                  Any handgun hunters here?
                  Describe your hunting handguns (With Pics!) whether they be revolvers, semi-autos or single-shot specialty pistols.
                  10-16-2020, 02:01 PM
                • What are you hunting with this season? Pics please!
                  by Ernie
                  I am new here, so I’d like to get you to know you better
                  hi primarily hunt with a variety of handguns for big game, and I like shooting those...
                  10-16-2020, 01:43 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X