Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A friend of mine got drawn in for an elk tag in Oklahoma. He wants to use a 30/06. Should he go 165 grain or 180 grain bullet.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A friend of mine got drawn in for an elk tag in Oklahoma. He wants to use a 30/06. Should he go 165 grain or 180 grain bullet.

A friend of mine got drawn in for an elk tag in Oklahoma. He wants to use a 30/06. Should he go 165 grain or 180 grain bullet.

180 grain bullet and I would get a premium bullet at that. I'm sure those tags are hard to come by so I wouldn't pinch pennies.

Comment

I would say whichever one's more accurate, either weight will do the job as long as it's a premium bullet.

Comment

Go with the 180 Grain it will do good work on an elk. Just make sure he is used to shooting them first. If he was lucky enough to get a tag then he should get comfortable with the ammo he will be using. Accuracy and shot placement is going to be more important that bullet size and kinetic energy. I would still say the 180 grain will get it done a bit better.

Just stay mindful of the velocity differences. I actually usually go with 200 or even 220 but you might start to mind the difference in trajectory as he will be losing a couple hundred fps.

Summary: Be Mindful of the shot distance,
        practice with whichever he thinks will give him the best accuracy and shot placement at those distances
        put the animal down as quickly and humanely as possible

Comment

previous post has it right,the 30.06 is adequate. in either grain. the bullet type is more critical, REMMINTON CORE LOKS ARE MY FAVORITE, RETAIN ENERGY,DEVASTATING PENETRATION .

Comment

Like huntfishtrap said,
            Shoot them both and see which one shoots better. Both the 165gr and 180gr will kill an elk without a problem.

Comment

Thanks yall. We were thinking along the same lines. He has till mid December to pratice up. In Oklahoma it is a once in a lifetime draw. Once you draw you never get another chance, so I am sure he is not going to blow it.

Comment

my dad use to use 180 grns in the wyoming mountains. but i dont know if theres any size difference in the average size of bulls because of what there habitat is or there food diet.

Comment

180gr swift scirocco or something from Nosler you will have no issues,better advice is to start walking even if you're in olympic athelete shape start a good exercise program prior to such a hunt

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X