Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I read an article in outdoorlife saying it was bad to have a minimum age in which kids can hunt. It said that it should be up to

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I read an article in outdoorlife saying it was bad to have a minimum age in which kids can hunt. It said that it should be up to

I read an article in outdoorlife saying it was bad to have a minimum age in which kids can hunt. It said that it should be up to our parents to let us hunt when they feel we are ready. Here in Michigan the age limit has been eliminated yet you still have to be 17 to hunt alone. I'm 15 and i would be 100% capable of hunting alone and would have more opportunities to hunt if I were able to just be dropped off in my hunting spot. Would anyone else agree that if they eliminate the age limit to hunt, they should also eliminate the age limit to hunt alone? What do you think?

-My opinion: They should never eliminate the age limit to hunt alone. If anything, they should raise the age limit to 18. The last thing anyone wants is a child getting injured(or worse) while hunting.
    -Here in Missouri you must be 16 to hunt alone. When I was your age(And I am just 20 now), I felt the exact same way since I had been hunting on the same farm with my dad/uncles since I was around 5 years old. The simple answer is that very few people(if any) under the age of 17 are fully prepared to hunt alone.
    -You will be amazed at how much you learn between now and the time until you turn 17(no matter how much you think you already know). Take advantage of the time spent hunting with an adult and learn as much as possible.

Comment

I think the question about hunting by yourself is best answered by your parents. I'm sure the regulation you are talking about is well intentioned but I know some 18 year olds, and older, that I would not trust on their own.

Comment

No. Simply, while you are likely capable, look around ur classroom and take honest count of how many 15 year olds are. I also done think a 10 year old for ex. Would be ready.
        The good thing is that not being able to go will help to fuel your passion for years to come. Ya got many a season left to look forward to, you are lucky.

Comment

That's a tough issue, and there's no easy answer. Speaking for myself, I was hunting on my own regularly by the age of 13 (Iowa doesn't have a minimum age for hunting alone, just the overall minimum of 11), but I am not an average example, since I pretty much grew up in the woods with two much older brothers, and most kids don't have that luxury.
          It's easy to say, "just let the parents decide", but unfortunately they often don't know any better than the government does. Just look at the morons who take their 3 or 4 year old "hunting", and do all but squeeze the trigger (hold the gun, aim the gun, tell them when to shoot, etc.) for them.
          I guess in my opinion, the best solution would be to have some type of test, similar to the Hunter Safety Test, to determine when a kid's old enough to hunt by themselves, that seems like the only fair way to do it.

Comment

I think it's necessary to have a minimum age because even though it probably should be left up to the parents to judge, there are a lot of parents out there who shouldn't have been allowed to have kids in the first place and I sure wouldn't trust their judgement.
            I was turned loose to hunt on my own at about fifteen, and I shouldn't have. I had enough good judgement to fool my folks, but didn't always use it when they weren't around. The truth hurts, but there it is.

Comment

At 15 you should be able to hunt alone, after all in many states you can drive a car. Hunting is certainly simpler and safer than driving.
              The problem we have today is the over protection of our kids, basically never allowing them to grow up. 12 years as a scoutmaster taught me if you treat children as irresponsible beings then you get immature, always needing to supervised kids. However if you see and treat them as young adults you get a fully capable responsible young adult.
              It seems the main argument for not allowing young adults to hunt is safety. However a review of hunting accidents show young inexperienced hunters are the safest afield. The vast majority of accidents are caused by hunters who have been hunting for 17+ years.
              later,
              charlie

Comment

I have to agree with JM. Parents should not be allowed to decide such an important matter without regard for the safety of others.

Comment

I have to agree with pineywoods. Children can easily fool their parents.

Comment

I just posted two quick answers to this question to test the point-scoring on the website, and there was no change in my points total.
                    The Field and Stream website is really much better programmed.

Comment

I was hunting by myself at 13. I began camping by myself when I got my driver's license at 14. My stepfather loaned me his built 1977 chevy with a camper on it to go elk hunting with my buddy when I was 16. I was in the Army learning to hunt people at the age of 17. The only thing government regulations on all of those things would have done is add lawbreaker to my list.

Comment

And thank you for hunting those terrorist down land_cruiser_73, I for one appreciate you fighting for our freedoms.
                        But it is getting a bit disconcerting how many Americans are willing to give up that freedom or put limits on the freedom of their fellow Americans. Like most in this thread.
                        For what it's worth at age 8 I killed my first deer alone by age 17 I was maintaining USAF fighter jets loaded with bombs. By 18 I was certified and working with nukes.
                        later,
                        charlie

Comment

@Charlie_Elk,
                          Many children these days are flying in fighter jets and dropping bombs by the time they are 10(on video games). No way that they could get rid of the minimum age requirement to hunt alone. Too many kids are immature.

Comment

I guess I can see the points made here. Children should be restricted from hunting. They also shouldn't be able to defend themselves. Or speak in public. Or wear their hats backward. And that music they listen to now! What is that about? They are all clearly unable to make good decisions before the age of 35! I say we also raise the voting age!

Comment

I don't see a point to really having an age limit except for the fact that your state can say they do have one if it's ever challenged for some reason. As for hunting alone, I've been hunting for years and I much rather prefer hunting in groups not only for the fact that I feel safer if something goes south but you get what the other guys missed and pushed your way! I agree with what some people put on here about not trusting people much older than you with having loaded firearms in the woods. My brother is 25 and trying to learn to hunt (I wouldn't trust him by himself with a gun!!!)

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X