Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

There is talk about whitetail hunting being closed in our area (sourthern Manitoba) so the deer population can go up after last

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• There is talk about whitetail hunting being closed in our area (sourthern Manitoba) so the deer population can go up after last

There is talk about whitetail hunting being closed in our area (sourthern Manitoba) so the deer population can go up after last season. Last year my party shot 6 deer for six of us and we shot two bambies because thats all we saw

Where I live (Northern Missouri) they were in a simular situation years ago. My dad/grandpa tell me that they did not allow doe tags(eventually there was a drawing for doe tags but it was no guarentee) since the population was so low. It seems to of worked because now you are allowed a buck tag(bucks must have 4 points on atleast one of their antlers to be legal here) and unlimited doe tags.

Comment

WHEN you shoot everything you see,what do think the outcome will eventually develope? I apologise for being so blunt as you appear to be a young man. There is more to hunting than just filling a tag and I doubt that you'll starve without a deer tagged.No one else can be a better steward of wild life in your area than yourself,if deer are scarce slack up on them until your seeing more.TRY A DIFFERENT AREA IF YOU JUST GOTTA GET ONE.

Comment

This person has two questions out there and I don't see a question in either of them. Shooting fawns every year isn't going to help the deer herd come back. I've never looked at my deer tag as a guarantee that I would get a deer anyway.

Comment

Hey 6phunter, cut 'im a little slack! To address your point about not starving without a deer: I can only speak for myself, and not anyone else, but in our family we DO need to shoot a certain number of deer (~4-5, on average) every year to fill the freezer, because it's been about 15 years since we've bought ANY beef or pork from the supermarket. We do this because it's a heck of a lot cheaper to buy a few deer tags than it is to buy store-bought meat all year, and because wild venison is way better for you to boot.
          Maybe we are an extreme example, but I just thought I should point out that some people really do need to shoot any old deer (even "bambies") to eat for the rest of the year.

Comment

I'm not getting on your case about your hunt, but hunters and fishermen/women need to exercise conservation.
            No wonder there is talk about closing the whitetail hunting in your area. How many other people shot bambie deer in your area besides your hunting party just to fill a tag. I would eat my tag before shooting a deer that is small, whether it be a bambie, doe or buck. It's not worth killing something small, by time you gut it there's not much meat on a deer that is small. I've seen people shoot button bucks that weren't even worth shooting just so they can say they filled their tag. Just like in fishing, throw the small ones back they are not worth keeping.
            In my area there is bow, muzzleloader, and rifle season. With the bow and muzzleloader, deer of either sex can be taken, some areas one of each. During rifle season a buck can be taken and with an antlerless permit a doe or buck with antlers under three inches can be taken. If, one hunter gets his/her bow, muzzleloader, rifle and antlerless permit tags and fills them all that is a lot of deer that can be taken by just one hunter. That might not sound like much deer to some, but multiply that by a few thousand hunters and the numbers start to add up and the deer population declines. The state and DEC wanted to lower the number of deer in the state, well it happened. Just for the record, since this has been allowed the deer are scarce around my area. I use to see 5-6 deer in the field behind my house every year; I see none now due to over hunting. I know some hunters, including myself, who don't bother to hunt anymore due to the low number of deer. I enjoy hunting and would buy multiple tags, but would take one deer. I figure by buying the licenses I was helping the conservation effort, but maybe I was wrong.
            If hunters don't govern their ways others will.

Comment

I'm not getting on your case about your hunt, but hunters and fishermen/women need to exercise conservation.
              No wonder there is talk about closing the whitetail hunting in your area. How many other people shot bambie deer in your area besides your hunting party just to fill a tag. I would eat my tag before shooting a deer that is small, whether it be a bambie, doe or buck. It's not worth killing something small, by time you gut it there's not much meat on a deer that is small. I've seen people shoot button bucks that weren't even worth shooting just so they can say they filled their tag. Just like in fishing, throw the small ones back they are not worth keeping.
              In my area there is bow, muzzleloader, and rifle season. With the bow and muzzleloader, deer of either sex can be taken, some areas one of each. During rifle season a buck can be taken and with an antlerless permit a doe or buck with antlers under three inches can be taken. If, one hunter gets his/her bow, muzzleloader, rifle and antlerless permit tags and fills them all that is a lot of deer that can be taken by just one hunter. That might not sound like much deer to some, but multiply that by a few thousand hunters and the numbers start to add up and the deer population declines. The state and DEC wanted to lower the number of deer in the state, well it happened. Just for the record, since this has been allowed the deer are scarce around my area. I use to see 5-6 deer in the field behind my house every year; I see none now due to over hunting. I know some hunters, including myself, who don't bother to hunt anymore due to the low number of deer. I enjoy hunting and would buy multiple tags, but would take one deer. I figure by buying the licenses I was helping the conservation effort, but maybe I was wrong.
              If hunters don't govern their ways others will.

Comment

Excuse the double post. I hit the POST ANSWER and nothing happened the first time.

Comment

Since it seems as though some people didn't agree with me, but didn't feel the urge to actually SAY what they disagreed with, I will clarify my point:
                  Just to be clear, we do NOT shoot young bucks, when I talk about "bambies", I am referring to yearling does only. There is NO DIFFERENCE, management-wise, between shooting an old, mature doe and a young one. And also, to be clear, we don't shoot yearling does if an older one presents itself, simply because the older, larger ones have more venison. The only time we shoot the yearlings is if the season's winding down and it's them or nothing and we still need meat for the freezer.
                  Once again, if anyone disagree with me, I don't have a problem with that, as everyone's entitled to their opinion, but I would appreciate it if you made an argument for your side, rather than just -1ing my comments.

Comment

@HFT,
                    One small difference is that fawns have a better chance of survival if the mother has done it before.

Comment

Just an observation but it seems like there are lot of minuses getting tagged on lately. And not just on this particular question. Everyone has their own opinion and I think rather than give minuses you should state your differences with the person rather than take a backshooters way out. The only thing minuses are going to do is cut down the number of posts.

Comment

DSMbirddog.... I have noticed the same about the minuses being gave out a lot in the last couple of months. People who gave good comments have been given the minus rating. Comments that are neutral have been given a minus rating.
                        I remember when there use to be a back and forth discussion on various topics on this site, some of them were rather heated at times.
                        The last three years had good questions asked, reasonable answers, and good participation with regular users. I have noticed the regulars from the last three years has faded. I am also fading away from this site.

Comment

Come to Alabama, you can take 3 bucks (per season) and 2 does per day, season last from about 11/18 to 1/31, you ought to be able to fill the freezer down here,,,,

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X