Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hey everyone,been a while since Ive had time to contribute to OL online but after todays events I've got something I'd like to a

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey everyone,been a while since Ive had time to contribute to OL online but after todays events I've got something I'd like to a

Hey everyone,been a while since Ive had time to contribute to OL online but after todays events I've got something I'd like to ask ya'll.... Today I was walking on my new property,scouting for whitetail sign.It was a beautiful fall morning with no wind and a heavy frost.I had spotted a few tracks and was focusing on them as I aproached a stand of 5 or 6 wild overgrown wild rose bushes.I stopped debating how I would pick my way through the wall of thorns when I heard a deep WOOF and suddenly a large black blur rushed forth from the tangle of brush.I let loose an instinctal screech(for lack of better words)and at 10yards a 300lb black bear turned and ran back into the rosebush thicket...meanwhile I am unarmed and floundering wildly backwards,trying my best to get the hell outta there. This is my second bluff charge in less than 2 years,last time it was along a logging road while small game hunting by a smaller bear but it scared the be jesus outta me none the less....In your opinion do you think black Bears are losing their fear of man?

In my 25+ years of outdoor experience the only view we ever had of bears was their south end as they headed for dodge...both black and grizzly....last few years seems their attitude towards man has changed.

Comment

Speaking for my area we are just now getting bears and the "experts" who come in to study them say they act differently than other bears they have seen.

Comment

It could be that the bears are coming into contact with more people and so are losing some of the fear they feel for humans. Is there a bear season where you live? If the bear population will support it, that is one way to put the fear back into them.

Comment

I think it really depends on the area. If there's a population where there are black bears in more of a heavily populated area, I believe that could definitely be the case.

Comment

I think they are.Just yesterday there was a bear just south of Seattle walking around like it owned the place,not afraid of anyone or anything that came along.They ended up tranquilizing it 4 or 5 times.
            And I've heard of more bear attacks lately,that and cougar.

Comment

Mesarich, my home province of NB has some of the highest numbers of black bear hunters in the country.With both Spring and Fall hunting seasons our local bear population should definately have a healthy fear of man.

Comment

bigjake, wow with that kind of hunting season I have no idea why they would be losing their fear of humans.

Comment

My Vocational School (welding) teachers friend had his buck eaten and was charged twice last weekend. He also said the blackie followed him to the road.

Comment

That would scare the bejesus out of me too! I think it just depends on the bear and the situation. They cab be defebsive depending on the factors such as cubs, food, etc.

Comment

I usually don't trek very far,
                      when all around me black bears are.

Hi...

Where black bears have been acclimated to humans (being fed, access to garbage, etc.) they will lose their fear of man. If so, this can make them extremely dangerous.

If you arent carrying a suitable firearm when you're afield, carry bear spray...IT WORKS...!! Just make sure it is an EPA registered type.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Remington news
                        by fitch270
                        Just caught this on another forum, wanted to pass it along and get thoughts from anyone interested. Hopefully something good will come out of it.
                        Yesterday, 05:55 PM
                      • Grips and stocks
                        by dewman
                        so I was shooting the 357 I received from my father yesterday afternoon. The magnas that came on it gave me a good grip but were small enough to make...
                        Yesterday, 08:55 AM
                      • Youth pheasant hike
                        by fitch270
                        Just the girl and the younger dog today. Ok, so we went hunting but she didn't pop a primer.

Started out with a guilt trip, I let the dogs...
                        09-26-2020, 08:41 PM
                      • Son of a Fitch; goin' mobile
                        by fitch270
                        Kid got his drivers license today, only points off were for not actually turning to look behind him when he pulled out from parallel parking. I told him...
                        09-25-2020, 08:27 PM
                      • Unusual Sound
                        by jhjimbo
                        At camp in S. Ohio I was almost asleep and I heard the strangest howl-screech, bark that I have ever heard. Raised the hair on my neck. About 30min later...
                        09-25-2020, 02:17 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X