Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

my uncle is taking me to hunt mule deer in a couple years. what caliber gun should I buy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• my uncle is taking me to hunt mule deer in a couple years. what caliber gun should I buy?

my uncle is taking me to hunt mule deer in a couple years. what caliber gun should I buy?

There are any number of good ones - 25-06, 270, 30-06, 7mm-08,7mm Rem Mag and on and on. See if you know anyone that would let you try theirs and see if you lijke it. I would lean more towards an all round caliber if it will be your only rifle for a number of years.

Comment

It would be hard to go wrong with a 30-06. I have never hunted mule deer, but hear that they are bigger then most whitetail deer. I would opt for the 30-06.

Comment

30-06, 270, or 7mm mag

Comment

I have successfully hunted mule deer with many calibers 243 and larger. My personal pref is a 280rem or 308win.
          Bottom line is choose a gun that you are comfortable shooting with good optics on top.

Comment

243?

Comment

DSM said it best, any of the calibers in his answer will work and work well, don't over look the 308. Shoot whatever fits you the best and the recoil is not to much to handle, but if you are not going for a couple of years you have plenty of time to go to the range and check things out.

Comment

i've shot a dozen mule deer in the past few years, all with a .243, 100 gr. bullets.
                recoil is very manageable, easy to shoot.
                good optics and good bullet placement make all the difference in the world.

Comment

i've shot a dozen mule deer in the past few years, all with a .243, 100 gr. bullets.
                  recoil is very manageable, easy to shoot.
                  good optics and good bullet placement make all the difference in the world.

Comment

I have been hunting with a Win. 270 for the past ten years and I've shot Mule deer, Whitetail deer, Antelope, and Elk with it. It has the knock down power, less kick, and cheaper shells compared to its bigger brothers. I've only hunted in Montana on my own land, so it depends on where you live and how far of a shot. But if you ever come to Montana a Win. 270 would be my recommendation.
                    Have fun with it and good hunting!!

Comment

I hunt muleys in Nevada, in one square mile the terrain can run from impenetrable vegetation to flat prairie and everything in between including mountains that go straight up for over 2 miles. A 30-06 springfield w/150gr. slugs will do it all. Its the best all around caliber IMHO.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Covid-19
                        by jhjimbo
                        Any indication a game animal can get the virus ? The news had a case of a dog in I think NC that got the virus.

Tucker Carlson had a guest...
                        09-17-2020, 10:38 PM
                      • Spur of the moment rifle
                        by Amflyer
                        I stopped in the local Scheels the other day so see about getting some IMR 4831. As a slow-ish old school powder I thought that the current buying craze...
                        09-17-2020, 11:25 AM
                      • The $20 Shooting Shack
                        by fitch270
                        So we’ve been doing some outside remodeling and dismantled some decking. The stuff wasn’t good enough to reuse on the house when we redo the decks...
                        09-16-2020, 10:23 PM
                      • When is it equipment vs when it is you?
                        by dewman
                        one of my range only pals stopped by last night. I showed him my new mk4 and he showed me his. He had spent a lot of $ on upgrades. A lot. Showed me some...
                        09-15-2020, 08:42 AM
                      • Dewman goes Teal hunting.
                        by dewman
                        So one of the farmers who doesn't hunt doves does hunt rails & snipe which opened the 1st, and teal which opened yesterday (Saturday). He asked me...
                        09-13-2020, 04:48 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X